Consumer Reports on the RDX

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consumer Reports on the RDX

I'm a subscriber at ConsumerReports.org and sometimes participate in their subscriber-only conversations with the auto editors (who are really nice, very fair guys). So, here is what they had to say about the RDX informally:

1) The RDX will be featured in the Jan issue. It will be up against the Mazda CX-7 and BMW X3 3.0. They're also going to feature two more truck-like small SUVs in that issue: the Jeep and Land Rover.

2) Initiall comments on the RDX were that they liked the power, felt turbo lag was minimal, and that the engine had good mid-range power.

3) Downside was that the engine lacked smoothness.

4) Was somewhat critical of Acura's choice to go with a turbo 4 instead of a V6.

5) So far, they seem pretty critical of the CX-7.

I'm guessing that the Acura will wind up the highest rated vehicle in this group, but we'll see.

By the way, the above reflect the opinions of the editors at CR, not mine perspective. I haven't test drove the RDX yet and have no opinions whatsoever.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the post. I am also a subscriber and have been waiting to see their comments on the RDX. I assume this comparo will be with the 07 BMW? It will be interesting to see the results. Hopefully another "recommended" rating for Acura.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by Digits
Thanks for the post. I am also a subscriber and have been waiting to see their comments on the RDX. I assume this comparo will be with the 07 BMW? It will be interesting to see the results. Hopefully another "recommended" rating for Acura.
Given that they are testing it right now, I'm guessing that they have a 06 X3.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not too happy about Consumer Reports. They never reviewed the CL Type-S and only noted that it wasn't sporty enough. The CL has since been discontinued. They haven't reviewed the RL and so far have only said that it isn't sporty enough. Both of these vehicles recieved high marks from MotorTrend and I believe Car and Driver as well. I'm glad that Consumer Reports will review the RDX but I have a feeling the words, "Not sporty enough," are going to cross their pages.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I think CR is good for realiability research and nothing more. It seems to me that they are always overly critical of anything Honda/Acura makes, and way too soft on VW products.

Thay also never reviewed the RSX Type S, plus they rated the S2000 way below where it should have been.

They also harp constantly about Road Noise when reviewing Honda/Acura products. If H/A stopped using Michelins as their OEM supplier that would cut road noise in 1/2.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lumpulus
They also harp constantly about Road Noise when reviewing Honda/Acura products. If H/A stopped using Michelins as their OEM supplier that would cut road noise in 1/2.
They do that becaues most Honda/Acura products are loud (coming from someone with an Integra and a TSX)... they have a valid point. Even it's because of the tire selection, it's still an issue with the stock vehicle. Most people don't replace tires on a brand new vehicle.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Dennis

The key to reading test reports is to completely ignore the writer's conclusions and, in a comparison test, forget how the cars are ranked.

First thing to do is dig the facts out of the reports.

Then look at the author's opinions but take them with a grain of salt. What you want to know isn't so much WHAT the author liked or disliked, but WHY the author liked or disliked the car, and decide for yourself if those reasons apply to you. If the author complains that there's no chrome-plated hot lunch dispenser option, you may or may not care. If you're buying a vehicle to get around in and never push a car's handling limits, it doen't matter how it did on the test track.

Then read as many test reports as you can find and as you do, you'll start building up a picture of what the car is to you.

And in the end, no one's road test is as important as your own.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by ArthurKnight
I'm not too happy about Consumer Reports. They never reviewed the CL Type-S and only noted that it wasn't sporty enough. The CL has since been discontinued. They haven't reviewed the RL and so far have only said that it isn't sporty enough. Both of these vehicles received high marks from MotorTrend and I believe Car and Driver as well. I'm glad that Consumer Reports will review the RDX but I have a feeling the words, "Not sporty enough," are going to cross their pages.

CR did their full road tests of the RL quite sometime ago. The full test is on their website and was also published. In both the road test, and the summary blurb, they offer no criticisms regarding the vehicle not being sporty.

I don't recall if they tested a CL Type S before, but I know they tested the four dour version (the TL-S). And, the reality is that, in term of how the TL-S and CL-S handle, neither of those vehicles was truly "sporty." However, CR's Used Car links on the website again do not offer any criticisms of the vehicles as being "not sporty."

They single the TSX out for "sporty fun" and they also describe the latest version of the TL "as a nearly ideal blend of sportiness and luxury".

I guess I don't see your point. CR has not been critical of Acura products at all. I have 50,000 miles on my TSX and I thought their review was about as fair and accurate as possible.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Not an Ashtray

I think CR is good for realiability research and nothing more. It seems to me that they are always overly critical of anything Honda/Acura makes, and way too soft on VW products.

Thay also never reviewed the RSX Type S, plus they rated the S2000 way below where it should have been.

The RSX is the highest rated car in CR's "sport cars" category.

The S2000 is rated just below "excellent" by CR, with only the BMW Z4, Corvette, and Audi TT ahead of it.

The TL is the highest rated car in the "upscale" category. The TSX is the second highest rated car. They rate the TSX above cars that costs thousands more and offer more features and power (Saab, Beemer, Audi, Infiniti G35).

Honda and Acura dominate the ratings in every category.

No offense, but I can't see how you could possibly suggest that CR is overly critical of Acura/Honda products.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
They do that becaues most Honda/Acura products are loud (coming from someone with an Integra and a TSX)... they have a valid point. Even it's because of the tire selection, it's still an issue with the stock vehicle. Most people don't replace tires on a brand new vehicle.
I've had FIVE integras/RSXs and they all had Michelins as OEM. When I replaced them with Dunlop SP8000 Sports(best tire ever BTW) the noise in the cabin dropped to almost nothing.

As a car buyer, road noise is almost no factor to me.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by darth62
The RSX is the highest rated car in CR's "sport cars" category.

The S2000 is rated just below "excellent" by CR, with only the BMW Z4, Corvette, and Audi TT ahead of it.

The TL is the highest rated car in the "upscale" category. The TSX is the second highest rated car. They rate the TSX above cars that costs thousands more and offer more features and power (Saab, Beemer, Audi, Infiniti G35).

Honda and Acura dominate the ratings in every category.

No offense, but I can't see how you could possibly suggest that CR is overly critical of Acura/Honda products.
None taken, but are we reading the same ratings?

The ratings that I read have the RSX not even in the top five.

The S2000 runs rings around the TT and Z4 and cost $10k less a Boxster, which it is on equal footing with at least.

where are you getting this info from? My G/F gets C/R in the mail every month, so that's where I get my info.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Not an Ashtray

None taken, but are we reading the same ratings?

The ratings that I read have the RSX not even in the top five.

The S2000 runs rings around the TT and Z4 and cost $10k less a Boxster, which it is on equal footing with at least.

where are you getting this info from? My G/F gets C/R in the mail every month, so that's where I get my info.

Yikes! I just checked again. I actually misread their ratings. They did it via alpahbetic order. They actually rate the RSX base as Very Good. So, you're right, that it is not top five in their list. Its rated on par with cars like the Mini Cooper though, which does seem fair. Sorry for the confusion!

As for the S2000, CR actually rated the Honda S2000 above the same as the Corvette and BMW, and slightly better than the Audi (the Audi and Corvette are not recommended, due to reliability issues). The Boxter was rated higher than all. They're basically all in CR's excellent catergory, with the exception fo the Audi.

I guess I don't see a systematic bias in their ratings of any kind (either for or against Honda/Acura).
Old 09-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Racer

I've had FIVE integras/RSXs and they all had Michelins as OEM. When I replaced them with Dunlop SP8000 Sports(best tire ever BTW) the noise in the cabin dropped to almost nothing.

As a car buyer, road noise is almost no factor to me.
But you're not the average car buyer... what percentage of people do you think replace their brand new OEM tires on a brand new car? I bet a very small percentage. And how many people put summer tired on their car instead of all seasons? Again, I bet it's very small.

So, for the general public, buying an Acura Integra/RSX, and keeping it bone stock (including tires), that sucker is loud, and that's what CR is telling you.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Not an Ashtray

But you're not the average car buyer... what percentage of people do you think replace their brand new OEM tires on a brand new car? I bet a very small percentage. And how many people put summer tired on their car instead of all seasons? Again, I bet it's very small.

So, for the general public, buying an Acura Integra/RSX, and keeping it bone stock (including tires), that sucker is loud, and that's what CR is telling you.
I've had three Honda sedans and I think they all had noise issues (including my new TSX). But, I have to say that I'm with Lumpulus on this point. I've always see it as a non-issue. I've never once thought about noise when choosing a car to purchase.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:06 AM
Alpha Geek

I do NOT replace my OEM tires until after they actually need replacing.

I KNOW that's what C/R is saying, what I'm saying is Honda should look at replacing the POS OEM Michelin's with something that is both quieter AND handles better in both the dry and the wet. There are much better choices, IMO. I think nearly 100% of Honda's "road noise" issues that C/R bitches about comes from having Michelin as their OEM supplier.

It's too bad you can't "test drive" tires.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Racer

I KNOW that's what C/R is saying, what I'm saying is Honda should look at replacing the POS OEM Michelin's with something that is both quieter AND handles better in both the dry and the wet. There are much better choices, IMO. I think nearly 100% of Honda's "road noise" issues that C/R bitches about comes from having Michelin as their OEM supplier.

In that case, I definitely agree with you.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Not an Ashtray

Thumbs up

LOL. This is what I love about this site. You can get into an OT discussion of issues like road noise, and you still wind up with one insightful post after another.

I agree with you about the tires, Lumpulus. michelin tires are the source of noise and a lot of the other issues that confronted all of my Honda vehicles.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darth62
I agree with you about the tires, Lumpulus. michelin tires are the source of noise and a lot of the other issues that confronted all of my Honda vehicles.

I just watched the Motorweek video review and man you can hear those tires squeal even when the car's not mic-ed. Forgive me if this has already been discussed to death elsewhere, but is there a solution that won't damage the wallet? I'm partial to the sparkle silver rims...let's say I get those aftermarket (i.e. at Curry Acura) and then a set of 19" tires of my choice. I'd probably keep the 18" stock rims for the winter tires. Any way to sell the 18" tires for a good price?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by Boon
I just watched the Motorweek video review and man you can hear those tires squeal even when the car's not mic-ed. Forgive me if this has already been discussed to death elsewhere, but is there a solution that won't damage the wallet? I'm partial to the sparkle silver rims...let's say I get those aftermarket (i.e. at Curry Acura) and then a set of 19" tires of my choice. I'd probably keep the 18" stock rims for the winter tires. Any way to sell the 18" tires for a good price?
eBay? I don't imagine you'd get too much though.

For what it is worth, my TSX has those noisy lousy all-season michellins. I upgraded to a set of Bridgestone Potenzas, after about 40,000 miles. I don't think it made a huge difference in noise. The improvement in every other direction is marked though - particularly with regard to ride comfort.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Alpha Geek

Dunlop SP8000 Sports or SP9000. If you can still find the 8000s get them, they are the best tire ever made, IMHO. With the 8000s I was amazed at the Noise difference, and the car handle so much better. I have an exit ramp that is long and constant radius, so it gives me an "unofficial" skid pad to test tires on my way home from work. I added 5mph to my best speed switching from the POS Michelins to the Dunlops, and in fact I chickened out going any faster than that.