Clunk when shifting into gear when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk when shifting into gear when cold

I have had a 2008 RDX Tech for about 18 months now and this problem just started recently at 130,000kms (81,250miles). The past couple of days it's been below freezing (-5c) and the car starts and idles normally, I shift into Reverse to back out of the driveway there is a small clunk in the driveline, I back out and put it in Drive and there is a larger clunk, noticeably larger than the one that it did when put into reverse. I drive away, it shifts fine and I don't hear any noise when driving or when it's shifting gear. Only when going into gear when it's cold.

A couple of months ago I changed the trans fluid and transfer case oil with new OEM fluids, filled both as per the DIY/full indicators etc. and haven't had any leaks. This problem just started a couple of days ago so I don't think it would be related to that.

Do these cars have transmission issues or could it be an engine or transmission mount that's starting to go?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Quick cluck/chip noise at start up is ABS systems check. Try leaving the car facing forward and see if it makes the same noise when you put it directly into "D." If so, you are O.K.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:54 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's definitely not at start up...I can let it sit and idle for a couple of minutes, then get it moving and the clunk happens when put into drive.

I have played around with putting it in reverse first and then into drive...or putting it directly into drive, in both above and below freezing temps. The clunk seems to happen only when going from reverse into drive WITH THE WHEELS TURNED.

This leads me to think it's a front CV joint to an engine/trans mount...something that moves when the load direction changes. It does NOT make the noise if the wheels are straight. I don't feel or hear any clunks or rattles while driving...everything seems fine.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its probably the autotransmission lock that is built into it.. newer acuras are known for that sound