clumsy me, but thankfully key fob is sealed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clumsy me, but thankfully key fob is sealed.

i cant believe my luck - last week, hit rails, this week, dropped my keys in water/slush puddle. anyway, to ppl out there worrying about dropping it in whatnot liquids, rest be assured that acura rdx's key fob was made to withstand abuse!

my keys, fob, panic button, etc still worked - and just to be sure, i opened the key fob, disassembled the key pad etc. and wanted to clean the innards for any water still there. to my surprise, no water whatsoever.

as further protection, the chip and transmitter was actually in a pretty tight seal. so either i was lucky, or acura and in particular the rdx's key fob was designed for such clumsiness.

wish they designed the interior and plastics as tough as the key fobs
Old 12-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by storminvader
i cant believe my luck - last week, hit rails, this week, dropped my keys in water/slush puddle. anyway, to ppl out there worrying about dropping it in whatnot liquids, rest be assured that acura rdx's key fob was made to withstand abuse!

my keys, fob, panic button, etc still worked - and just to be sure, i opened the key fob, disassembled the key pad etc. and wanted to clean the innards for any water still there. to my surprise, no water whatsoever.

as further protection, the chip and transmitter was actually in a pretty tight seal. so either i was lucky, or acura and in particular the rdx's key fob was designed for such clumsiness.

wish they designed the interior and plastics as tough as the key fobs
"Just to be sure" could have screwed it up. If it was working after the water incident, I would have left it alone.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MPBRDX
"Just to be sure" could have screwed it up. If it was working after the water incident, I would have left it alone.
guess was really lucky this time around indeed. reason why i made sure no water seepage (and therefore opened it) was i read that mold could develop or the battery could be conducting if wet.

again not sure if what i read is correct or not but wanted to post what i did so that others may have a reference point (rightly or wrongly and need not worry immediately about it.