Charge for the "protection package"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charge for the "protection package"?

So, we did a test drive on Sat. Of course, the price is MSRP. They are including the "protection package" at no additional charge. It includes the wheel locks, trunk tray, and something else. I don't have the information with me at the moment. The salesperson says this is a $500 package. I did use Edmunds to get a few quotes and no surprise they were all MSRP. One dealer did include this package and proceeded to add $400 to the price for it. The other two dealers didn't mention it at all. For those who have purchased or received a quote, is your dealer charging for this?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Dennis

Wheel locks and a tray for $500? I haven't seen any word of a "protection package" on Acura's web site. I think the dealer is trying to make an extra buck on equipment that he installs. Ask if the things he's putting on are all Acura parts. It's not an uncommon practice -- add on cheap aftermarket stuff and make more money. My personal practice is to buy _nothing_ that the dealer wants to add on if it isn't OEM gear. And even if it is real Acura stuff, check out the prices on some of the internet discount dealers so you have some idea of what it's really worth. Try www.hondaacuraworld.com. I haven't bought anything from them, but the priceds look more realistic than what dealers charge.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealer is charging $348.50 for the "all season protection package," which includes the all-season floor mats, cargo tray and wheel locks. The Acura website charges $125, $132 and $49 for each of those respectively for a total of $306. But the dealer price includes "installation." I'm not quite sure what there is to install except for putting the mats and tray in the car and changing one of the bolts on the tires.

If your dealer is throwing it in (and not burying it somewhere else), then I'd say it's a good deal. Seems like the dealers are trying to capitalize on every dollar they can. I know they need to make money, but charging installation on those items/marking them up is ridiculous - not a good way to build a customer relationship.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by schuchmn
Try www.hondaacuraworld.com. I haven't bought anything from them, but the priceds look more realistic than what dealers charge.
This is what I plan to do if the dealer won't match the prices on this site.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Jeb
Advanced

Deals for less than MSRP

I think it's area dependent, but dealers are definitely giving discounts of MSRP. I was quoted in the Chicago area $500 off MSRP. The reason why these dealer-installed protection packages are being given away is because when dealers got the first few cars in, they tried to add as much as possible to it so that they could get eager buyers to pay MSRP + more without looking like they were trying to gauge folks. But since they haven't been selling those off, they are now willing to take MSRP for the cars with the overpriced dealer ad-ons. Tonia - i bet you could deal for real cash off -- you might have to wait a month in your area, but it might be worth it if you have any flexibility.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:23 AM
Instructor

My dealer offered a protection package for mid $200-something that included mud flaps and wheel locks.

My sales person discouraged me from getting it since I was leasing the car.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:47 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Dealers are greedy, customers are cheap. Someplace in the middle, they meet. Get over it and move on.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Instructor

First - it is a real package. It is listed in the printed brochure from Acura for the RDX. "Acura Protection Package includes all-season floor mats, cargo tray and wheel locks." I'm not willing to pay extra for it, I was just curious if other dealers were including it at no additional charge. This is the same dealership where we bought my husband's TL and they "threw it in" on his car too. I kind of felt the oh we usually charge $500 was BS, but I thought I'd see what other dealers were doing. Overall, this guy is pretty good. We had a terrible experience at a Nissan dealership a few years ago where they "lost" our keys and so I really like this guy because he is low pressure. We took the test drive, he gave me some information and his cards and suggested we talk it over and then let him know what we decide. No crazy tactics to sell us something on the lot or place a deposit before we left.

Also, it isn't because they have already added it to the car. I want the blue with taupe an they are scheduled to receive one the end of September. So, if I buy I would be putting down a deposit on one to be delivered not buying one off the lot.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeb, but I've contacted the 4 dealerships that are reasonably close to me and 2 are MSRP with the protection package at no charge. 1 is the one I mentioned that would add $400 - I could probably get them to include it if I mention the others but it further away than the others so not really worth it. My original plan was to wait until the end of the year or beginning of next year, but I've started experiencing some problems with my car in the last few weeks. My current car is a 1995 I'm literally driving it into the ground. I have an appointment to have it checked out today. If the repairs are going to be several thousand dollars then I don't think it is worth it. I don't want to put several thousand dollars into my current car to save one thousand in three to four months. I've been looking at cars for about a year or more and basically we decided to try and wait until the RDX was out. We both really liked it on the test drive so now it just depends on whether my current car is going to make it until prices drop or we bite the bullet and buy now.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Jeb
Advanced

Hi Tonia
In your case, it's definitely not worth waiting. My only suggestion was perhaps trying to get something off the car, and if you don't, then no big deal, just pay sticker. Best of luck to you on the purchase. I'd love to hear how it works out and post some pics!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeb
Hi Tonia
In your case, it's definitely not worth waiting. My only suggestion was perhaps trying to get something off the car, and if you don't, then no big deal, just pay sticker. Best of luck to you on the purchase. I'd love to hear how it works out and post some pics!
Believe me - I'd love to get anything off. The thought of paying sticker is really paining me. I'm pretty frugal which I guess is obvious by how long I drive my cars. I'm still going to email around some more and see if I can't get someone to budge.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Try www.hondaacuraworld.com. I haven't bought anything from them, but the priceds look more realistic than what dealers charge.
Thanks for the site. One of the options we would like to add is roof rails. I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me with a price so I'll be interested to see how it compares.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tonia
Thanks for the site. One of the options we would like to add is roof rails. I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me with a price so I'll be interested to see how it compares.
Tonia - I am in the same boat as you, driving an older car. Good luck on getting anything off. I'm still working on it too. For what it's worth, my dealer is charging $550 for the roof rails installed.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Advanced

If its free take it, but know its probably thrown in somewhere else or they are trying to prevent you from haggling any lower by giving you this "free" deal.

If you are buying the car or can afford to not roll the options into your lease payments just buy them after you get the car.

The Sales department (who you buy the car from) has to buy the option parts from the Parts department. They buy them and then mark it up to you so that they can make some money off of it. If you wait you can buy the parts at the original price from the Parts department (you can install your own floor mats, lug key and cargo tray). Also, like it was said try to find a website that sells OEM Honda/Acura parts at invoice or at a slight mark up from what the Parts department gets it for.

I know for subaru we have www.subarugenuineparts.com who sell OEM parts at a 10% mark-up over invoice.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Protection package...

I'm getting the protection package for my RDX - it's the wheel locks, the mud flaps, and the rubber mat in the back (for the dog crates to sit on).

The protection package, the roof rack, and the rear bumper aplique (dog toe nails and sliding things in and out can really do a job on the bumper paint) is all I'm getting for extras.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by amypinseattle
I'm getting the protection package for my RDX - it's the wheel locks, the mud flaps, and the rubber mat in the back (for the dog crates to sit on).
Is the dealer charging for it?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Is the dealer charging for it?
But of course! Nothing is free...at least right now!
Old 08-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by amypinseattle
But of course! Nothing is free...at least right now!
Thanks everyone for responding. I haven't run all the numbers with the salesperson yet, but as it is MSRP + destination I don't see where he would be working the amount in to cover the protection package. So, while (as I suspected) it isn't the $500 deal he wants to claim - it does appear he is doing something if other dealers are charging for this package on top of the MSRP. From buying our TL I know they charge some misc fee for doc prep or whatever they call it now and I know how much the other dealers are charging for that so I'm not going to let him work it in there. Other than that it should be just tax.

I've contacted two more dealers about two to three hours south of Atlanta and the best offer I got was $200 below MSRP which to me wouldn't be worth the time to travel so far.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:16 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Destination is included in the MSRP.

Thanks everyone for responding. I haven't run all the numbers with the salesperson yet, but as it is MSRP + destination
Old 08-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CL6
Destination is included in the MSRP.
I'm referring to it as MSRP and destination based on the information from acura.com

"2007 RDX with Technology Package

MSRP: $36,495.00
Destination: $670.00"
Old 09-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Dennis

First - it is a real package. It is listed in the printed brochure from Acura for the RDX. "Acura Protection Package includes all-season floor mats, cargo tray and wheel locks." ...
Right -- I hadn't seen that in the brochure.

It reminded me of my first Acura purchase -- a '95 Integra GSR. After the salesman and I agreed on a price, I had to close the deal with a manager who asked me if I'd be interested in a "protection package". I asked him what it protected, and he told me that if the paint were damaged by acid rain, it wouldn't be covered by the warranty. He said he had one customer who had to have his whole car repainted and had to pay for it. I told him that if I had problems with the paint, he'd be singing "acid rain" in front of a civil court judge. That ended that conversation (and I'm not even a lawyer ).

I'm always leary of non-OEM add-ons (like "antitheft glass etching"). I research dealer-installed options before I walk into the showroom. I know what I want and I won't take anything that I never heard of -- if it's a thing I really need (and I haven't found one yet) I can always add it later. If they tell me that it'll cost more later, I know I really don't need it.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Missin my TSX =(

lol my dealer said NOPE... cant give u for free..
Old 09-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Right -- I hadn't seen that in the brochure.
Actually, I may not be completely right. I pointed to the protection package in the brochure when we were going over the list of options on which I wanted price quotes and he said he could include the protection package at no charge. My husband seems to think he was referring to their dealer protection package which we got for "free" on our TL, which is the paint sealant, wheel locks, cargo tray, and mud flaps. Doesn't really matter to me if we aren't being charged for it as all I was really wanted to make sure is that we got the wheel locks and cargo tray without being charged for them. Anyway, we went ahead and put down a deposit and should hear in a week or so whether they will get our color combo in October or will have to order it for November. My husband dropped off the deposit and didn't clarify what the packages contained