Car wash for RDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wash for RDX

Hi everyone,

Vehicle: 2008 RDX tech. All stocks.

Last week, I took my RDX in for a regular plain car wash. It was touchless. This RDX is my first turbo vehicle and it has an opening on the engine hood. During the car wash, i realize that water could be getting into the engine via the turbo hood because water from touchless system is very strong. After the car wash, i checked my engine and i found puddle of water in my engine...everywhere. I am not going to use touchless car wash anymore.

Two questions:
1. Do you guys think my turbo/engine is damaged? The engine was off during car wash. There wasnt "a lot" of water that got into the engine, but some did get in. It was wet

2. How do you guys wash your RDX to avoid water getting into the hood?

Thank you everyone. Appreciate your input!!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
without being too much of a smart ass....

what happens when it rains?
How do people wash their engine bay?
Dont you think Honda has thought of this!?

with those questions out of the way, you and your car are fine.
The following 4 users liked this post by justnspace:
rockstar143 (06-18-2012), SharksBreath (06-18-2012), TruckerBomb (07-22-2012), wrestrepo (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,962 Likes on 14,481 Posts
Justin has really matured in the last week or 2...what a great response.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,516 Likes on 1,183 Posts
I take my 08 RDX Tech to the car wash 1-3 times a month with no problems. A touchless car wash can’t compare to a monsoon down pour at 65 mph on the hwy.

I usually wash the engine a few times a year just to get the road dirt off at the You-wash-it-place. I just make sure to remove the plastic turbo intercooler hood and use a home vacuum to suck up any bugs/junk. I never spray the water from the hand wand into the intercooler. I’m a little worried the high pressure will bend the fins if you spray directly. After washing the engine, I drive about 20-30 mins on the hwy to dry everything out. Head back home and check for wet spots under the hood.

You should be A-OK with the touchless car washes. Maybe you can drive the RDX around for 15-20 mins afterwards to dry up any possible water build-up in the engine.
The following users liked this post:
Renzan (06-25-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Renzan - being cautious is also being smart. not asking questions isn't.

you dont have any worries with water being sucked
into the engine and damaging it with any car wash.

the water probably ended up on your top mount intercooler for the turbo. its a closed system and water cant be sucked into the engine there.

your air supply and air filter to the engine are enclosed and watertight and protected near and in the front fender .
The following users liked this post:
Renzan (06-25-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Renzan
... Last week, I took my RDX in for a regular plain car wash. It was touchless. ...

Two questions:
1. ...

2. How do you guys wash your RDX to avoid water getting into the hood?

Thank you everyone. Appreciate your input!!
I routinely use a touchless car wash, as I prefer that nothing rub against the paint. The turbo intercooler intake opening is slightly slanted, so that when the touchless car wash water is sprayed 'straight' (horizontal) into the opening, it is deflected somewhat (by the duct-work) so that high pressure is not direct against the top of the cooler fins.

Still, my 2009 RDX owner's manual says on page 355:
"NOTICE: Do not spray water (from such sources as garden hoses, high pressure sprayers) into the engine compartment. It may cause serious damage to your vehicle, and could also damage the intercooler fins."

I do sometimes spray water under the hood, with the hood open, to clean the engine. BUT ... I am very carefull where the water is sprayed, and also I use only a garden hose with very low pressure. That is, I either just use the open end of the hose to flood the area and wash away any cleaner I have used, or if I use a hose screw-on pressure valve I do not use the full force (only open the valve a small amount to create a light spray).

And I am careful not to direct water into any electrical connectors, of which there are many underhood. Or against the intercooler fins. Or any place that has a cap such as the Power Steering cap, engine oil cap, brake master cylinder, etc. In other words, just consider the various parts of the engine that should not get water in it, and do not direct a lot of water there.

I would also use caution with using chassis (bottom of car) washes. There is a lot of wiring underneath, such as for the rear electronically controlled differential. I just use a garden hose, which has much less pressure than a car wash. And I can also control where the water is directed. So I do wash under the car several times per year to remove dirt (summer) and salt (winter). But I do it by hand with a garden hose, not the car wash.

I hope that this is clear and helpful. JMO

Last edited by dcmodels; 07-22-2012 at 09:39 AM.