Canadians Shopping in US?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadians Shopping in US?

Hey Guys,

my RDX needs to get some new tires and brakes and I've heard that there are deals to be had!

Any Canadians shopping in border towns? Does Acura in Buffalo or any other shop have any deals on now?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
order the tires on tirerack (the Yokohoma Prada's look good) and brake parts from rockauto(I ordered raybestos advanced technology series pads for the rdx and it came with the caliper clips as well!).
Old 10-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mau108
order the tires on tirerack (the Yokohoma Prada's look good) and brake parts from rockauto(I ordered raybestos advanced technology series pads for the rdx and it came with the caliper clips as well!).
I considered the pradas, but their wear rating is not as good as the Avid V4S.

How are the raybestos pads? Any good? I always think of them as generic alternatives, meaning they work but not as good as the oems.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marakbai
Hey Guys,

my RDX needs to get some new tires and brakes and I've heard that there are deals to be had!

Any Canadians shopping in border towns? Does Acura in Buffalo or any other shop have any deals on now?
I am actually living in the US, for now... honestly, most things in the US are cheaper than in Canada, sales tax is lower as well. Especially if you do mail order stuff, which is abundant in the US (canadian online retailers are quite limited).

It might be worth your while, ordering from Tirerack, have them drop-ship at a nearby cross border tire shop, install it there, and drive it back across the border. Now, all things considered, you might want to ensure the gas and meals costs would not be more than what you get in savings by cross-border ordering. But if you are doing other things like sight-seeing and cross border shopping, sure, it is like hitting two birds with one stone.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Discount Tire Direct is cheaper for Canadians than Tire Rack. I've priced a lot of stuff on both pages and DTD is decently cheaper since they have free shipping to Canada (you still pay brokerage, taxes, fees though).
Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Acura dealer in buffalo has the most incompetent business i have ever experienced and the dealer manager is extremely rude, they're awful...i highly recommend against them (I bought my car from them but learned my lesson and will never go back)- try the other nearby dealers in Erie or Rochester or Syracuse etc.

i agree with the tire rack idea, and head to any good break shop since they will be cheaper than dealer