Buying a RDX

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 05:01 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a RDX

I'm currently looking into buying a G1 RDX as my 2nd car and need something reliable, I'm wondering if there is any major problems that happen once they get up there in mileage. I'm mostly trying to find a fun and reliable car that is going to be decent on insurance at the same time. There are a few around me that are around the $4-8k range, that's about how much I'm looking to spend so seems like a nice option. Curious if any of yall have some advice on them, and or other options I could look at. Thanks!

(Sorry if my grammer and spelling is off, I'm new to this whole forum's thing.)
Old 04-12-2023, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts
It's a very reliable car, but as with anything that is up there in years and/or miles, it's all about the maintenance. Look for proper maintenance records for any car you consider, and it's always good to get an inspection done by a trusted mechanic to look for any potential issues. I bought my 2010 about 9 years back with 45k miles on it, and I'm over 200k now. Only unplanned items so far have been a battery cable and an ignition coil. Otherwise it has been pretty much fluid changes and tires for the last decade, with a couple sets of spark plugs and a serpent belt thrown in.

Around 100-150k miles you will probably want to replace the shocks and struts - it's normal maintenance on any car, but it can be expensive, so keep that in mind. Also around the same mileage many cars will start throwing a P2263 code because a bolt that helps operate an actuator on the turbo inlet can wear out and cause too much play in the actuator arm. It is a relatively straightforward DIY fix and the bolt is pretty cheap these days, but it can be hard to find a mechanic that will do this repair. Shop books will generally recommend turbo replacement, which is obviously not something you want to spring for when it will cost you as much as the car is worth. Suggest searching that code in these forums - there are a couple DIY guides on the fix so you can familiarize yourself with it and decide if it's something you're comfortable with.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tomtwtwtw:
Elvinn (04-12-2023), mrgold35 (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 12:17 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,186 Posts
I purchased my 08 RDX Tech used in 2010 with 30,000 miles and it is still on road today. I handed it down to my daughter back in 2019 and it has +200,000 miles. I did Hondata reflash, ETS intercooler, Hondata heatshield gasket, Progress RSB, and Eibach lowering springs.

The issues since purchase were:
- P/S pump leak (out of pocket in 2019, replaced with Ebay used)
- alternator (out of pocket +5 years ago)
- struts/shocks at around 100,000 miles (lowering springs killed the OEM struts/shocks)
- 4 coil packs at around 130,000 miles
- iVtec solenoid switch over (powertrain warranty)
- A/C clutch/compressor (Acura 100k extended warranty)
- passenger door actuator (out of pocket)
- hairline crack in radiator in 2019 (out of pocket)
- groan from AC/heat blend door (fix once and came back months later)
- replaced passenger door speaker (under basic warranty)

I really enjoyed and the 1st Gen RDX was always fun to drive. Mpg kinda sucked at around 18-20 mpg range combined on 91 octane. Never ever seen above 22 mpg on 100% hwy driving (75-80 mph hwy speed at +5000 feet in southwest/west). The 1st Gen RDX is a perfect hammer if you only see nails. It actually drives better the harder you push it. You will not like the 1st Gen RDX if you drive it like a Honda CR-V.
The following users liked this post:
Elvinn (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I bought my 2008 4 years ago with 115k on the clock , 50k later ,I’ve only had two problems during this time. My 25 year old son wanted to buy 1 last year because he drove mine many a time. We actually drove 100 miles one way with around 75% snowstorms and slush on I:95 to purchase 08 Black RDX with 108k . Fun driving indeed .

Back to my 2 problems, I fortunately survived the well known radiator failure.. with a 800 mile trip the next day ,I park my RDX in my garage and I’m all jacked about going to Tampa . Now I see the prettiest Dw-1 transmission fluid which I serviced before earlier spewing all over my garage floor . I grabbed an aftermarket radiator @8am from a jobber we used in the body shop business, installed and on the road @11.00 , being prepared I pulled the BS factory radiator before hand .
Needless to say I replaced my son’s RDX radiator with other items for my piece of mind , what’s left of it .

2nd problem, Knock sensor. No big deal . If you love handling and performance, you won’t be disappointed !

BTW , you gotta get the SH-AWD version !!! Good luck 🍀
The following users liked this post:
Elvinn (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
It's a very reliable car, but as with anything that is up there in years and/or miles, it's all about the maintenance. Look for proper maintenance records for any car you consider, and it's always good to get an inspection done by a trusted mechanic to look for any potential issues. I bought my 2010 about 9 years back with 45k miles on it, and I'm over 200k now. Only unplanned items so far have been a battery cable and an ignition coil. Otherwise it has been pretty much fluid changes and tires for the last decade, with a couple sets of spark plugs and a serpent belt thrown in.

Around 100-150k miles you will probably want to replace the shocks and struts - it's normal maintenance on any car, but it can be expensive, so keep that in mind. Also around the same mileage many cars will start throwing a P2263 code because a bolt that helps operate an actuator on the turbo inlet can wear out and cause too much play in the actuator arm. It is a relatively straightforward DIY fix and the bolt is pretty cheap these days, but it can be hard to find a mechanic that will do this repair. Shop books will generally recommend turbo replacement, which is obviously not something you want to spring for when it will cost you as much as the car is worth. Suggest searching that code in these forums - there are a couple DIY guides on the fix so you can familiarize yourself with it and decide if it's something you're comfortable with.
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I purchased my 08 RDX Tech used in 2010 with 30,000 miles and it is still on road today. I handed it down to my daughter back in 2019 and it has +200,000 miles. I did Hondata reflash, ETS intercooler, Hondata heatshield gasket, Progress RSB, and Eibach lowering springs.

The issues since purchase were:
- P/S pump leak (out of pocket in 2019, replaced with Ebay used)
- alternator (out of pocket +5 years ago)
- struts/shocks at around 100,000 miles (lowering springs killed the OEM struts/shocks)
- 4 coil packs at around 130,000 miles
- iVtec solenoid switch over (powertrain warranty)
- A/C clutch/compressor (Acura 100k extended warranty)
- passenger door actuator (out of pocket)
- hairline crack in radiator in 2019 (out of pocket)
- groan from AC/heat blend door (fix once and came back months later)
- replaced passenger door speaker (under basic warranty)

I really enjoyed and the 1st Gen RDX was always fun to drive. Mpg kinda sucked at around 18-20 mpg range combined on 91 octane. Never ever seen above 22 mpg on 100% hwy driving (75-80 mph hwy speed at +5000 feet in southwest/west). The 1st Gen RDX is a perfect hammer if you only see nails. It actually drives better the harder you push it. You will not like the 1st Gen RDX if you drive it like a Honda CR-V.
Originally Posted by Chopperpilot
I bought my 2008 4 years ago with 115k on the clock , 50k later ,I’ve only had two problems during this time. My 25 year old son wanted to buy 1 last year because he drove mine many a time. We actually drove 100 miles one way with around 75% snowstorms and slush on I:95 to purchase 08 Black RDX with 108k . Fun driving indeed .

Back to my 2 problems, I fortunately survived the well known radiator failure.. with a 800 mile trip the next day ,I park my RDX in my garage and I’m all jacked about going to Tampa . Now I see the prettiest Dw-1 transmission fluid which I serviced before earlier spewing all over my garage floor . I grabbed an aftermarket radiator @8am from a jobber we used in the body shop business, installed and on the road @11.00 , being prepared I pulled the BS factory radiator before hand .
Needless to say I replaced my son’s RDX radiator with other items for my piece of mind , what’s left of it .

2nd problem, Knock sensor. No big deal . If you love handling and performance, you won’t be disappointed !

BTW , you gotta get the SH-AWD version !!! Good luck 🍀
Thank you!! Seems like only problems are regular ware and maintenance so seems perfect, I'll definitely be more persistent in my search for one lol, I only have a few more question and thats about the aftermarket selection.

I've definitely noticed that there isn't to much aftermarket available for it and was wondering if there is anything or anywhere I should search specifically. I'm fine with buying OEM but it can get a bit costly unless I find one from a pullapart.

I was also kind of hoping to be able to replace the center display screen for something newer, but seems a bit difficult without taking out the whole dash, and replacing the bottom din for a screen seems odd since it sits so low.

I don't plan on going super overboard with aftermarket but it'd still be nice to have options and a variety to choose from, I'll manage if there isn't any other options but would love to be able too in the future.