brake rotors with geomet coating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake rotors with geomet coating?

hi guys
i have some questions about our 1+ yr old RDX's brake rotor (my 3 questions are enumerated below). it's rusting, NOT on the plate where the brake pads meets it, but rather where there is no contact of the brake calipers (some call it the rotor "bell/hub").

an example that i searched for looks like this in this link: http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...:0&tx=40&ty=62

questions are:
a) is this a safety issue where later the rotors can crumble/rust perforation if not painted/rustproofed?
b) i know that brake rotors are "wear and tear" items - how long, with normal use, are they supposed to last before requiring replacement?
c) there's rust on only 1 rotor, all the 3 others are good. should i expect all to rust? or is this a mfg defect? Acura states that these are geomet coated for rust protection so am not sure what this means - is it coated on the rotor "bell/hub" or is it on the "plate" itself? (see write up next)

cut and pasted fm acura's rdx spec site:

"RDX features 4-wheel disc brakes with 11.7-inch diameter brake rotors in front and 12.0-inch diameter rotors in the rear- with a Geomet coating on the rotors for improved looks and added rust prevention"

as mentioned earlier, note that it's not that plate itself where the pads hits the rotor that is rusting. i researched that part is ok to rust. but am not sure about the part that doesnt get into contact with the brake pad.
just wanted to ensure this is not a safety concern as it'll eventually be my wife+baby's vehicle by end of yr
many thanks

Last edited by valleverde007; 05-03-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Common Acura issue. Ugly but safe.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
^^^ you must have posted while I was reading...lol same answer +1

Originally Posted by valleverde007
hi guys
i have some questions about our 1+ yr old RDX's brake rotor (my 3 questions are enumerated below). it's rusting, NOT on the plate where the brake pads meets it, but rather where there is no contact of the brake calipers (some call it the rotor "bell/hub").

an example that i searched for looks like this in this link: http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...:0&tx=40&ty=62

questions are:
a) is this a safety issue where later the rotors can crumble/rust perforation if not painted/rustproofed?

-- Oxidation, Normal(ly), one of those things that happens to rotors, could be a combination of salted roads, the sun, and dampness. The reason it is not on the double sided braking surface is because of friction from the brake pads.

b) i know that brake rotors are "wear and tear" items - how long, with normal use, are they supposed to last before requiring replacement?

--Normally they are measured for thickness, then depth of groves if any. The rotors can be resurfaced, but it's my opinion if you hang a nail in one its time to replace them, if they need resurfacing. Other DIY'rs beg to differ where-ever you look. I replace my rotors only on uneven wear. OBTW and FWIW, 737jock Made a DIY for painted rotor and caliper, the POR works pretty good.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-diy-faq-161/diy-brake-caliper-painting-776569/

c) there's rust on only 1 rotor, all the 3 others are good. should i expect all to rust? or is this a mfg defect? Acura states that these are geomet coated for rust protection so am not sure what this means - is it coated on the rotor "bell/hub" or is it on the "plate" itself? (see write up next)

-- See below also, all of this is normal for any rotor.

cut and pasted fm acura's rdx spec site:

"RDX features 4-wheel disc brakes with 11.7-inch diameter brake rotors in front and 12.0-inch diameter rotors in the rear- with a Geomet coating on the rotors for improved looks and added rust prevention"

--fancy-ier name for clear-coated rotors, for sake of simplicity

http://www.geomet.net/index.php

as mentioned earlier, note that it's not that plate itself where the pads hits the rotor that is rusting. i researched that part is ok to rust. but am not sure about the part that doesnt get into contact with the brake pad.
just wanted to ensure this is not a safety concern as it'll eventually be my wife+baby's vehicle by end of yr
many thanks

You should be fine
As far as that moment you had (we all had) at the car dealer during signing, that they show you a rotor that is mangled up. That is far too extreme for this late of a model and tried to sell extended warranty to you. Needless worry, unless you dropped the rotor in the pacific/atlantic ocean, parked the rdx in the ocean, tryed seasoning the rotor with road salt and water and then barbequed it: you'd never see that kind of oxidation that ate through a rotor like that. If you are just a normal urban driver, no max towing, not autocrossing you'll be fine for another set of brake pads till replacing.

Seriously, just recently, Ford had a rotor on one of their commercials that reminds me of that.

On the oppissite side of the spectrum. Wouldnt hurt to check carfax on that even new or program car. If you think it's a salvage part.

Last edited by Kaze66218; 05-03-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add ^^^^ blah blah blah.lol same answer
Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks mr marco and kaze. im not very familiar with these things (and i know those honda civics did perforate on the fender) hence why i posted. seems like extremely common so ill let it be - even for a 1 yr old model. thankfully, my dealer didnt succeed selling me any extended stuff. at least i read up on that prior to the purchase.

to be honest, part of the reason i asked was i thought "geomet" coating will prevent rust for a long time and there was "something wrong" given that it's only been 1+ yr. i guess lesson learned, all these "fluffy" specs are just that. i do live in salted roads during winter so that might hv aggravated it last winter with all these snowstorms.

ps. if it's any help, my brake pads per last service (last wk), was 9mm in front and 8mm in rear... traveled just a shade over 10k miles so far...