BOV noise worrying me

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
BOV noise worrying me

Hey guys,

I have had my rdx for about 4 months now and still puts a smile on my face. But there is a noise that scares me. It doesn't happen everytime, but will happen maybe once or twice in an hour drive. The noise is bascially when I accelerate and the turbo spools up and let off the throttle, there is this distinct almost drinking water from the bottom of a cup through a straw noise. It sort of flutters in a way, looking at the boost gauge, turbo spools fully and and even with that sound, gauge still goes down normally.

It started happening about a month into ownership. Doesn't affect power and isn't always happening and doesn't have to have the turbo fully spooled. Any thoughts? I feel like it could be a sticky valve in the BOV, but otherwise not sure.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2015, 09:42 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does it happen when you go full throttle and then slowly let the pedal? That is a pretty common noise for a blow off or recirc valve. I can kind of get ours to do it too. Aftermarket valves usually make that sound even more. I had an HKS SSQV bov on my old STI and it made the craziest noise at WOT-to-gradual let off. Kind of like PSSH-woop-woop-woop-woop. Haha
Old 12-26-2015, 01:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Does it happen when you go full throttle and then slowly let the pedal? That is a pretty common noise for a blow off or recirc valve. I can kind of get ours to do it too. Aftermarket valves usually make that sound even more. I had an HKS SSQV bov on my old STI and it made the craziest noise at WOT-to-gradual let off. Kind of like PSSH-woop-woop-woop-woop. Haha
I mean it doesn't seem to be hurting anything at all. Still as powerful as the day I bought it. It doesn't have to be wide open throttle. Can happen even with the boost gauge only at half way. I know that some people buy the HKS BOV purposely for the flutter sound. I was just hoping it was the "good flutter" sound and not the "bad flutter sound" haha
Old 12-27-2015, 08:01 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

I would imagine you are fine then! If you start to notice performance issues or CELs obviously I would get it looked at, but I have noticed our intake / BPV noises get a little louder since we've owned the car as well. I don't know if it is related to the ECU learning our driving style or what.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I would imagine you are fine then! If you start to notice performance issues or CELs obviously I would get it looked at, but I have noticed our intake / BPV noises get a little louder since we've owned the car as well. I don't know if it is related to the ECU learning our driving style or what.
Yeah no cel's for me thankfully and zero drivability issues...hell sometimes it just happens to be in the right gear and the acceleration is down right impressive. Can't imagine how fast this thing would be with a 6 speed dual clutch.

But lol back on topic for a second, I think I will leave it be until some drivability issue comes up. Hoping nothing comes up at all. I don't want to have to spend big bucks on a turbo.

I am currently in a major dilemma, considerig selling the rdx and buying an 09 fx50S at the end of the summer or keeping it and tuning it. Thing is, the rdx even with some really in depth work, is still as fast or slightly slower than the fx. The fx also offers SO MUCH TECH and features compared the rdx and there is something to be said for a 390hp 5.0l dohc V8.

Last edited by RDX10; 12-27-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:28 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Originally Posted by RDX10
Yeah no cel's for me thankfully and zero drivability issues...hell sometimes it just happens to be in the right gear and the acceleration is down right impressive. Can't imagine how fast this thing would be with a 6 speed dual clutch.

But lol back on topic for a second, I think I will leave it be until some drivability issue comes up. Hoping nothing comes up at all. I don't want to have to spend big bucks on a turbo.

I am currently in a major dilemma, considerig selling the rdx and buying an 09 fx50S at the end of the summer or keeping it and tuning it. Thing is, the rdx even with some really in depth work, is still as fast or slightly slower than the fx. The fx also offers SO MUCH TECH and features compared the rdx and there is something to be said for a 390hp 5.0l dohc V8.
Nice...if modding is your goal the V8 is almost always going to be an easier / cheaper / better platform for it. If you're cool with the looks (I personally think it looks kind of weird, long nosed / frumpy but to each his own! ) then go for it man! If you want SUV as a modding platform I would also look at the SRT8 Jeep, any of the V6 boosted Audis (Q5, SQ5) and the twin turbo BMWs if they're in your price range. All of those will be way easier and generally more reliable to modify.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice...if modding is your goal the V8 is almost always going to be an easier / cheaper / better platform for it. If you're cool with the looks (I personally think it looks kind of weird, long nosed / frumpy but to each his own! ) then go for it man! If you want SUV as a modding platform I would also look at the SRT8 Jeep, any of the V6 boosted Audis (Q5, SQ5) and the twin turbo BMWs if they're in your price range. All of those will be way easier and generally more reliable to modify.
Thing is, obviously if I take something that already has a turbo or supercharger, MUCH easier to mod vs taking a naturally aspirated v8 and then modding it, unless I was to pay big bucks and add some forced induction.

Srt jeeps (at least the older 2006-2010) have really poor build quality, like awful build quality. The 2012-2013 ones are both out of my price range and slower than the fx and I think the older hemi with the pushrod design is way old school vs the dohc infiniti engine.

The audi q5 is nice and the sq5 is VERY FAST with minor mods, but unfortuantely out of my price range and something about them strikes me as weird.

The single turbo V6 X3 is in my price range, but I would have to drive it and see how it drives. I had an 05 x5 4.4i and hated the driving experience. Very soft and floaty. I know the newer x5's are supposed to be much better, but they weigh like 5200 pounds and 0-60 is like 6.8. So very poor for me.

I agree 100% with your thoughts on the fx's looks. I think the front end is too long. But that is pretty much my only issue. I love the rear end of the fx and the rear 3/4 view, as well as the sideways view. The interior is absolutely stunning, one of the highest quality interiors I have ever sat in and one of the nicest. The 16 way sports seats are amazing and the 5.0l 390hp v8 gets it to 60 in 5.0s and the 1/4 in like 13.5s. It gives me must haves/wants like the cooled seats, smart key, multi way seats, automatic crash prevention, and last but not least the stunning around view camera system. So for me, it is the best priced vehicle with the most tech, with the best quality and performance for me. Shawd makes the rdx act like a rwd based vehicle, but I really want to be in a longitudinal based vehicle again, all 4 of my previous vehicles were longitudinal awd suvs.
Everything else either costs more, or is inferior quality. The rdx is awesome for what it is and the potential is there, but the tech is so old compared to the fx and it is severely lacking in the luxury department. But seeing as the end of the summer is still a few months away, I have a lot of time to think about it. The bmw x3 also has multi way seats, and pretty much everything else on my need/want list

Last edited by RDX10; 12-27-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:08 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Thing is, obviously if I take something that already has a turbo or supercharger, MUCH easier to mod vs taking a naturally aspirated v8 and then modding it, unless I was to pay big bucks and add some forced induction.

Srt jeeps (at least the older 2006-2010) have really poor build quality, like awful build quality. The 2012-2013 ones are both out of my price range and slower than the fx and I think the older hemi with the pushrod design is way old school vs the dohc infiniti engine.

The audi q5 is nice and the sq5 is VERY FAST with minor mods, but unfortuantely out of my price range and something about them strikes me as weird.

The single turbo V6 X3 is in my price range, but I would have to drive it and see how it drives. I had an 05 x5 4.4i and hated the driving experience. Very soft and floaty. I know the newer x5's are supposed to be much better, but they weigh like 5200 pounds and 0-60 is like 6.8. So very poor for me.

I agree 100% with your thoughts on the fx's looks. I think the front end is too long. But that is pretty much my only issue. I love the rear end of the fx and the rear 3/4 view, as well as the sideways view. The interior is absolutely stunning, one of the highest quality interiors I have ever sat in and one of the nicest. The 16 way sports seats are amazing and the 5.0l 390hp v8 gets it to 60 in 5.0s and the 1/4 in like 13.5s. It gives me must haves/wants like the cooled seats, smart key, multi way seats, automatic crash prevention, and last but not least the stunning around view camera system. So for me, it is the best priced vehicle with the most tech, with the best quality and performance for me. Shawd makes the rdx act like a rwd based vehicle, but I really want to be in a longitudinal based vehicle again, all 4 of my previous vehicles were longitudinal awd suvs.
Everything else either costs more, or is inferior quality. The rdx is awesome for what it is and the potential is there, but the tech is so old compared to the fx and it is severely lacking in the luxury department. But seeing as the end of the summer is still a few months away, I have a lot of time to think about it. The bmw x3 also has multi way seats, and pretty much everything else on my need/want list
Nice the X3 is worth looking into then! I didn't realize the fx had that much acceleration that is impressive. I wasn't sure what price range you were looking at but yeah I wouldn't look at anything other than the new gen SRT8 (2014+ which would smash the fx in performance and pretty much all cars listed above). My buddy has an X5 m sport and that thing is stupid fast for such a big SUV. Definitely getting up there in price point though. My brother just picked up a '16 Q5 and Audi just does interiors so nice. I looked at a new M56S before I bought my car and one thing that scared me away was poor long term reviews of Infinitis and their generally poor resale value. But that's a moot point of you keep it for a while, and man the interior of the m56 was really really nice. The quality of the Jap interiors (leather, etc) just doesn't hold a candle imo to the higher end German and British models. That's one huge thing I notice between my seats and my wife's in the RDX.

Funny because I'm headed the opposite direction. I'm selling my XFR for a big slow American pickup truck :p

Last edited by WRXtranceformed; 12-27-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice the X3 is worth looking into then! I didn't realize the fx had that much acceleration that is impressive. I wasn't sure what price range you were looking at but yeah I wouldn't look at anything other than the new gen SRT8 (2014+ which would smash the fx in performance and pretty much all cars listed above). My buddy has an X5 m sport and that thing is stupid fast for such a big SUV. Definitely getting up there in price point though. My brother just picked up a '16 Q5 and Audi just does interiors so nice. I looked at a new M56S before I bought my car and one thing that scared me away was poor long term reviews of Infinitis and their generally poor resale value. But that's a moot point of you keep it for a while, and man the interior of the m56 was really really nice. The quality of the Jap interiors (leather, etc) just doesn't hold a candle imo to the higher end German and British models. That's one huge thing I notice between my seats and my wife's in the RDX.

Funny because I'm headed the opposite direction. I'm selling my XFR for a big slow American pickup truck :p
I will certainly take a look at the x3 when time comes. I like the look of it and it is within budget. I might even like it more than the fx, but driving dynamics AND reliability are huge to me...so we'll have to see.

Yeah it is pretty impressive for sure, I wonder what changing out the massive 21 inch tires for something with a smaller diameter would do to the acceleration.

Personally, budget is around 20-25k...So I am severely limited in terms of what I can get. If I had like 60K, I would be looking at lightly used 2011-2012 cayenne turbos. Agree, the only srt jeep I would get would be the new 2014+, the refinements they made were insane and it would completely smash the fx...but for the budget, the fx wouldn't get raped too bad.

oh yes! The X5M is a beast, but sadly out of budget, and Audi absolutely does an amaing interior. Even their cheapish 30K cars have a nice interior.

I didn't even know they made an m56....HOLY CRAP that would be amazing to own. I always had a soft spot for the q45 and m sedans. I agree though that infinitis generally have poor resale value, but surprised you mention poor reliability as well. The japs in general have good reliability (I think?).

Absolutely agreed on the leather, japanese leather usually feels like plastic whereas the germans make vinyl that feels better than the real japanese leather. My only reservation is the top line lexus models, namely the lx and ls....you NEED to go sit in one and feel the leather. It is honestly some of the nicest leather I have ever seen and felt, like butter. Another car with surprisingly good leather is the new 2015 genesis sedan with napa leather.

You need to take a look at the new f150 with the ecoboost....ain't nothing slow about it!!
Old 12-28-2015, 01:08 AM
FLETCH

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
sounds like compressor surge maybe? mine did it once in a while also.

any mods done yet and where geographically are you?
Old 12-28-2015, 02:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TheWrench116
sounds like compressor surge maybe? mine did it once in a while also.

any mods done yet and where geographically are you?
Which is exactly what I am hoping it isn't. I can go for hour drives without it happening. But some days it will happen once or twice.

As far as I know, the rdx is bone stock. Currently a toss up if I want to sell it, or keep it and get a flash pro, injectors..etc. Like I know I can get it as fast as the fx, and rather than putting 10k on top, I can put a few k into the rdx and the fuel economy would still be much better. I live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada. Lol I like how you asked "geographically". Why do you ask

Edit: did some googling on youtube videos. Does compressor surge occur during boost? Because the noise only happens for me STRICTLY after I let off the throttle and the pressure is released. That is why I felt it was the BOV and not the turbo directly.

Last edited by RDX10; 12-28-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:26 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

I agree though that infinitis generally have poor resale value, but surprised you mention poor reliability as well. The japs in general have good reliability (I think?).

You need to take a look at the new f150 with the ecoboost....ain't nothing slow about it!!
Yeah I was surprised too, this C&D long term review in particular sealed the deal on my XFR:

2011 Infiniti M56S Long Term Road Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

The intermittent loss of traction control was enough to make me really nervous, but all of the other electronic issues would get old really fast for me. I don't think I've ever read so many complaints in one of C&D's tests ha. Add that to the fact that no Infiniti dealers around here had any M56's to test drive because they "stopped stocking them because nobody would buy them". Just make sure (like any car) that you get some good seat time in it before you make the plunge.

And yea I looked at the F150s and they are reallyy nice. I will likely pick up a new gen 2017 Raptor at some point in the future. They are pretty expensive for what they are though and less reliable than the GMC trucks. Ford also doesn't make a mid-size pickup right now and I am mostly sold on a crew cab midsize (GMC Canyon) for our needs and lifestyle. But even full size to full size, I think I would rather have a Sierra Denali or All Terrain over the F150....so NICE!

Sorry for the thread jack haha, this forum is mostly dead anyway so I doubt anyone would mind

Last edited by WRXtranceformed; 12-28-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 245 Likes on 214 Posts
Which is exactly what I am hoping it isn't. I can go for hour drives without it happening. But some days it will happen once or twice.

Edit: did some googling on youtube videos. Does compressor surge occur during boost? Because the noise only happens for me STRICTLY after I let off the throttle and the pressure is released. That is why I felt it was the BOV and not the turbo directly.
So a vacuum leak could cause the BOV to remain closed or not open fully, which in turn can cause compressor surge (throttle plate closes, all the pressurized air has no where to go and tries to push back out through the turbo). Definitely check all your lines going to/form the recirc valve - make sure they aren't clogged or damaged, and make sure they're securely connected.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:25 PM
FLETCH

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
that right not during boost either right before or right after. if you were near id offer to trouble shoot in person.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah I was surprised too, this C&D long term review in particular sealed the deal on my XFR:

2011 Infiniti M56S Long Term Road Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

The intermittent loss of traction control was enough to make me really nervous, but all of the other electronic issues would get old really fast for me. I don't think I've ever read so many complaints in one of C&D's tests ha. Add that to the fact that no Infiniti dealers around here had any M56's to test drive because they "stopped stocking them because nobody would buy them". Just make sure (like any car) that you get some good seat time in it before you make the plunge.

And yea I looked at the F150s and they are reallyy nice. I will likely pick up a new gen 2017 Raptor at some point in the future. They are pretty expensive for what they are though and less reliable than the GMC trucks. Ford also doesn't make a mid-size pickup right now and I am mostly sold on a crew cab midsize (GMC Canyon) for our needs and lifestyle. But even full size to full size, I think I would rather have a Sierra Denali or All Terrain over the F150....so NICE!

Sorry for the thread jack haha, this forum is mostly dead anyway so I doubt anyone would mind
I have seen a few reviews on C and D that had as bad comments as that m56. But in the m56's defense, they could have had a dud, or could have been really harsh on it. But look at the total cost in repairs, minus what they did (broken rim and windshield) it really isn't that bad. Kinda goes the same for jaguars, all I ever read about them is that they are maintenance nightmares, but I don't beleive it since they are so popular. I will definitely be taking the fx on an extended test drive. If it is at a dealer, I might even ask to take it over night.

I love the new raptor, but I agree, not worth it for what it is. I also feel like they took all the utility out of it by making it so large and by making it so expensive. Who is going to take a 80k+ vehicle through mud...etc. I really like the canyon, I think it looks really good and the interior is also really nice. Though I think it doesn't come in a V8 does it? Also agreed on the sierra denali, stunning truck!

Hey its my thread, I don't mind the thread jack, this forum is so dead anyways, might as well talk about whatever we want!

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
So a vacuum leak could cause the BOV to remain closed or not open fully, which in turn can cause compressor surge (throttle plate closes, all the pressurized air has no where to go and tries to push back out through the turbo). Definitely check all your lines going to/form the recirc valve - make sure they aren't clogged or damaged, and make sure they're securely connected.
This was my thought as well, something could be stopping the BOV from functioning properly causing compressor surge. I will be sure to check all the lines, may even take it in to acura just so they can double check. Though I doubt they even know how to work on a turbo to be honest. Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted by TheWrench116
that right not during boost either right before or right after. if you were near id offer to trouble shoot in person.
Thanks so much for the offer man, I wish you were close by. I would have absolutely taken you up on the offer. It never happens before boost, only when letting off the throttle and really only when part throttle (half boost) which makes me think tomtw's idea could be correct about the bov not getting enough pressure to fully open or open enough. At full throttle, there is enough pressure, but part throttle there isn't. Makes complete sense!