Black Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Box

Does anyone have info on the RDX black box (data recorder)? Where is it located, what data streams does it record, what is the cycle time for overwriting the data, can it be easily disabled, can the dealer or owner "read out" the data, etc.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Instructor

Worried the cops are going to use it against after they pull you over for speeding?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:36 AM
Advanced

WHAT?! a black box in the RDX, are you serious?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Its in most new cars now of days. Its been discussed in other threads but its main purpose is for acura and warranty issues. Lets say you are driving in sport mode and you always let it go into redline before swithching gears on the paddle. Than one day you come out to go to work or what not and you start your rdx up and the dash lights up like the white house christmas tree and theres low oil pressure. So you call your dealer raising hell and are like I baby my car. They bring it in to the dealer read the black box and find out you drive your car like you stole it. They can see how many times you have redlined it and at what speed you were at and what the opperating temp was. They say acura will not cover the work because you damaged the vehicle by your improper driving habbits. That is the real reason they have them. They dont care to hear our coversations and phone conversations. Not yet anyways.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rdx4fun
Its in most new cars now of days. Its been discussed in other threads but its main purpose is for acura and warranty issues. Lets say you are driving in sport mode and you always let it go into redline before swithching gears on the paddle. Than one day you come out to go to work or what not and you start your rdx up and the dash lights up like the white house christmas tree and theres low oil pressure. So you call your dealer raising hell and are like I baby my car. They bring it in to the dealer read the black box and find out you drive your car like you stole it. They can see how many times you have redlined it and at what speed you were at and what the opperating temp was. They say acura will not cover the work because you damaged the vehicle by your improper driving habbits. That is the real reason they have them. They dont care to hear our coversations and phone conversations. Not yet anyways.
that's sux! how can they be so sneaky.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Advanced

You cant deny a warranty for driving the car hard...if its not meant to be redlined, or if its unsafe, the computer will not allow for that type of rev ceiling. Racing the car at a track can void some warranties, if the manufacture specifically states this in the warranty.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The information is available to Acura, law enforcement, and insurance companies.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
anyone ever find the box?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by musty hustla
anyone ever find the box?
It's the ECU. Stores this information.
The following users liked this post:
musty hustla (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the vehicle by your improper driving habbits. That is the real reason they have them. They dont care to hear our coversations and phone conversations. Not yet anyways.

-----------------------
A New Generation of DVDs, the Key to Getting Lucky in The Walking Dead Season 3 DVD
Old 12-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraGuy
The information is available to Acura, law enforcement, and insurance companies.
The info has been used by law enforcement after some serious traffic accidents, such as hitting pedestrian - like how fast were 'you' going when the ped was hit. Not sure if a search warrant is required. I am uncertain how many years the cars ECU has been this way, but at least 10 years and maybe more. And I am unaware of any current vehicle that does not have this 'feature'.

I never thought about it before now, but I wonder if the newer motorcycles, with fuel injection (and other electronic controls), have an ECU (yes) that also records such info?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Just read up....
http://jalopnik.com/5966628/everythi...-your-next-car

4. Who owns this data?
This is actually the best part about this new law, because it clearly states that you, the car's owner, owns the data. I don't think any of us are thrilled about having these things in our cars, but if it's going to happen anyway, a law like this is needed to protect car owners. I'm a firm believer that any and all data your car generates should be the easily-accessible property of the owner. As the IIHS says on their site about this:

EDRs and the data they store belong to vehicle owners. Police, insurers, researchers, automakers and others may gain access to the data with owner consent. Without consent, access may be obtained through a court order. For example, in a Florida criminal case involving a vehicular manslaughter charge, the police obtained a warrant to access the EDR data.

For crashes that don't involve litigation, especially when police or insurers are interested in assessing fault, insurers may be able to access the EDRs in their policyholders' vehicles based on provisions in the insurance contract requiring policyholders to cooperate with the insurer. However, some states prohibit insurance contracts from requiring policyholders to consent to access.

I'd be more concerned about what private insurance companies would do with this data than I am what the police would do with it, so if you're in a state that allows your insurance company to require you to let them access the data, make sure you carefully read your contract.

The fact that the data is your property will also prevent it from being used by advertisers and/or dealerships (whew) and law enforcement agencies will normally need a warrant to get the data. This point about requiring a warrant has already been tested in court, with the appeals court reversing an original manslaughter conviction of a California driver, stating of the police's access to the driver's Yukon's EDR data:

"We conclude that a motorist's subjective and reasonable expectation of privacy with regard to her or his own vehicle encompasses the digital data held in the vehicle's SDM."

That means the cops can't bully your car into testifying against you, its loving owner.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Just read up....
http://jalopnik.com/5966628/everythi...-your-next-car

That means the cops can't bully your car into testifying against you, its loving owner.
Since the only probably cause that would be required for a warrant, for access to the data, is the fact that your car was involved in an accident, it seems to me that law enforcement will have access to the car-data any time they want. Perhaps not for a speeding ticket, but certainly for any serious accident. I base this comment on the various accidents reported by the news in my own state. I cannot imagine it is different in any other state, but maybe.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmodels
Since the only probably cause that would be required for a warrant, for access to the data, is the fact that your car was involved in an accident, it seems to me that law enforcement will have access to the car-data any time they want. Perhaps not for a speeding ticket, but certainly for any serious accident. I base this comment on the various accidents reported by the news in my own state. I cannot imagine it is different in any other state, but maybe.
correct...