Bean Counters Vs. RDX Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Bean Counters Vs. RDX Owners

I just got inspired to start this tread because my windshield wiper fluid was low/empty and I didn't know...because there is no alarm...So, what have you found in the RDX that you think that the Bean Counters won the battle or that the Acura Owners won the battle....keep track of the score.

1. Low windshield wiper fluid - Bean Counters 1, Acura Owners 0
2. No heat pad for passenger's seat back - Bean Counters 2, Acura Owners 0
Old 04-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How about plastic 'stainless' accents vs the actual stainless in my wife's Accord.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could have sworn mine has a low washer fluid indicator. I'm sure it's come on before. I just checked the manual and it is only on the Canadian model. That's pretty goofy. Obviously there are plenty of areas in the US where they use tons of washer fluid in the winter. I guess that would be annoying.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
^ ya my Canadian model RDX does have low fluid washer warning....heck I think even the older honda civics had them...I have no clue why they don't have this on the US models...
Old 04-19-2009, 12:00 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by Syzygy
Could have sworn mine has a low washer fluid indicator. I'm sure it's come on before. I just checked the manual and it is only on the Canadian model. That's pretty goofy. Obviously there are plenty of areas in the US where they use tons of washer fluid in the winter. I guess that would be annoying.
annoying? don't you mean essential?
Old 04-19-2009, 03:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my Canadian model RDX does have low fluid washer warning....heck I think even the older honda civics had them...
Low washer fluid warning is a requirement for Canadian vehicles.

No heat pad for passenger's seat back -
The passenger seatback heat cannot be installed because the "seat occupied" sensors for the airbag controller take up that space.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by Samdog-1
Low washer fluid warning is a requirement for Canadian vehicles.

The passenger seatback heat cannot be installed because the "seat occupied" sensors for the airbag controller take up that space.
I figure that #1 was a requirement, but #2 is BS...many cars have that and a heat pad in the back. I am assuming (simply assuming) that the MDX, TL, and RL have heat pads in the back, and also a seat occupied sensor.....

Trending Topics

Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The low washer thing is retarded. Even econo cars often have that feature. It's not like people in warm climates are somehow immune to using washer fluid.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I figure that #1 was a requirement, but #2 is BS...many cars have that and a heat pad in the back. I am assuming (simply assuming) that the MDX, TL, and RL have heat pads in the back, and also a seat occupied sensor.....
#2 is not bs. most cars have seat occupancy sensors, gel pad, whatever in the seat bottom only. most cars use the bottom sensor to determine if any one is in the seat and how big they are. honda took it a step further and put sensors in the seat back, which most manufacturers don't. this allowed honda to know in what position you are sitting in the seat.... i.e. leaning to the side, etc. I don't quite understand why this means they couldn't heat that part of the seat, but that IS what is different from other car makers that do heat the seat back.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:02 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by stevel
#2 is not bs. most cars have seat occupancy sensors, gel pad, whatever in the seat bottom only. most cars use the bottom sensor to determine if any one is in the seat and how big they are. honda took it a step further and put sensors in the seat back, which most manufacturers don't. this allowed honda to know in what position you are sitting in the seat.... i.e. leaning to the side, etc. I don't quite understand why this means they couldn't heat that part of the seat, but that IS what is different from other car makers that do heat the seat back.
Are you saying that the RDX is unique in that regard? and that because of it they couldn't heat the back?
Old 04-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Instructor

all hondas with seat heaters are this way from what I understand, not just the RDX.

as far as I know, honda is unique in the way they've done seat occupancy. but as I said, I don't quite understand why a heating pad couldn't be there because of it.....
Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I don't think any Acura (or Honda) have the heated seat back and it is because of the occupant position sensor.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
8th Gear

My list is pretty mundane, but things I expected with a "luxury" brand.
- No automatic on/off headlights.
- No automatic and speed sensitive wipers.
- No power rear hatch lift/close.
- No "Honda standard" open windows and moon-roof with key fob.

Just a start on the list, but I suspect total mfg/install price at factory would be less than $200 but significantly add to the "luxury" image of Acura and RDX.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Syzygy
Yeah, I don't think any Acura (or Honda) have the heated seat back and it is because of the occupant position sensor.
I would agree. My wife's 2003 Accord EX also is lacking a heat pack in the passenger seat back for the same sited reason.

Mike
Old 04-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kenb2009
My list is pretty mundane, but things I expected with a "luxury" brand.
- No automatic on/off headlights.
- No automatic and speed sensitive wipers.
- No power rear hatch lift/close.
- No "Honda standard" open windows and moon-roof with key fob.

Just a start on the list, but I suspect total mfg/install price at factory would be less than $200 but significantly add to the "luxury" image of Acura and RDX.
We do have speed sensitive wipers. And as far as the windows via the key fob, I can't STAND that feature on my wife's accord. If I press the button one too many times in the rain the windows start going down...and there's no way to get them back up with the fob. I'm not ready to give that one to the bean counters.

Mike
Old 04-20-2009, 08:49 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
real trim inside, less plastic overall, rear hvac, no prop rod, plusher rear materials, hello noise insulation, junk the hard plastic fake carbon looking dash, a lift gate that doest sound like a bag of rocks when driving, if you are going to install a subwoofer with the stereo, make sure its insulated & secure so we can hear the bass and not the rattles, my hatch sounds like it is going to blow up, cup holders that hold cups, rubberize the bins or put a layer of carpet liek material in the bottoms

also, a hatch pop on the remote would be nice, just so you can walk over and ease it up....i encounter this on a daily basis, carrying stuff, having to put it down to manuever the switch and pull it up....
Old 04-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MMike1981
also, a hatch pop on the remote would be nice, just so you can walk over and ease it up....i encounter this on a daily basis, carrying stuff, having to put it down to manuever the switch and pull it up....
Agreed....and the constant dirty hands because crap accumulates under the gate lip on the switch and around the video camera. Ooh...which adds another one to my list. Why the hell didn't they put the backup cam right inside the back window so the back wiper could keep the view clear? What genius thought it would be better to have it fully exposed to the elements? I swear I spend half my life clearing that damn lens.

Mike