Baby carseat in RDX (anyone w/2 in the car)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baby carseat in RDX (anyone w/2 in the car)

I'm about to buy an RDX, but one thing concerns me. We have an 11-month old son and are planning on a second baby in the very near future (within 2 years). We were at the dealership with our baby seats (infant seat and a bigger carseat) trying different configurations to see what would fit where.

Our 11-month old uses the bigger Britax Marathon carseat now, so we tried that first. I installed that (rear-facing) in the middle of the rear seat, but I had to slide it about 4-5" to the driver's side to have enough room for my wife to sit next to him on the passenger side rear seat. If I had installed it right in the middle, there would very little room on either side of the baby seat for my wife and another adult. And she's only 5'2" slight build. Even buckling the seat belts would be difficult. Anyone else find this to be the case?

Then I added the infant seat to see what would happen if we had a 2nd child. I tried the infant seat on the driver rear and the Britax on the passenger rear. That fit fine, but there was no room in the middle for my wife. She would have to sit in the front. So the only other option would be to have my son in the front passenger in the Britax (or a booster seat) and my wife & second child in the rear seat.

Is the RDX that small compared other similar SUVs? What do families of 4 do in other 5-passenger SUV/sedans??

Thanks,

Ray
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Wheelin' Dealer

Originally Posted by WRXSTing
What do families of 4 do in other 5-passenger SUV/sedans??

Thanks,

Ray
Buy MDXs

No offense, but the targeted demographic for RDX buyers does not include families with multiple children. But look on the bright side, you can fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row of the MDX so there is plenty of room for your wife and children, along with cargo capacity for strollers and pack 'n plays and diaper bags. Also, the new MDX is VERY sporty (check out the C&D comparo)

PLUS - You can avoid an Odyssey altogether unless you have a third!!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:07 AM
B A N N E D

If you do look at th MDX, Also look at the CX-9, I would have bought one if my dealer had a bigger stock of GT CX-9s at the time. RDX is definitly on the small side of CUV's.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 AM
Instructor

i agree, RDX is on the smaller side, id look at the honda pilot, has alot of interior in 2nd row seating. also agree about the CX7 its big too plus the MDX is over $40G's new (MY07).

there is also the new veracruz from hyundai and u cant go wrong w/ the odyssey.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WRX...this is a good question. Thanks for posting it. My wife and I are planning on having our first child in the next year and I really like the RDX. I think with one kid it'll be ok but with two it might be a tight fit.

Those of you who have a kid with the RDX how do you find it? I'm thinking that it's probably not that bad. You can get the stroller in the back (I hope) - I'm told it's about the same size as a set of clubs and supposedly the Acura mktg collateral says you can get 2 golf bags in the back with the cargo cover on.

I'll also be getting a roof rack and a thule rack so I'll have add'l storage up top. Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the advice so far. I have an X5 right now, and it already feels too big, not to mention the gas mileage, maintenance and insurance costs. So the MDX and CX-9, both being wider and longer than the X5 (I think), are probably out of the question. And I'd really, really, really like to avoid a minivan. Are there any RDX owners with 2 babies/toddlers?

Couples with 1 child definitely have plenty of room in the RDX. Storage is not a concern for me. Our stroller and baby gear look like they fit easily in the rear cargo area. Once my 11-month old is ready to sit in a booster seat, there should be plenty of room for a 2nd child. But while he's in the Britax baby seat, it may be a bit tight if we do have that 2nd child.

I think I have a pretty good deal on an '07 all set up at the dealership. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is this.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Cyclonite

With 1 kiddo right now in an Eddie Bauer forward facing 3/1 seat there is still room for an adult or 2 in the back. I had my Mom and wife in the back next to Ava with the two Dad's in the front.

The ladies are pretty slim (120 lbs range) so they fit albeit a little cramped for the center position. Any bigger and good luck.

When I have another tricycle motor (2-3 years) I'll be Odyssey / Sienna AWD shopping. Unfortunate, but necessary given the amount of kit that is humped with little ones.

You could do 2 car seats no problem AND if you position them so that you maximize your fold down area, you might make it OK with some room. This is totally dependant on your kit load / kid. We travel with the necessities only....try to leave the extra non essentials at home.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for all the advice so far. I have an X5 right now, and it already feels too big, not to mention the gas mileage, maintenance and insurance costs. So the MDX and CX-9, both being wider and longer than the X5 (I think), are probably out of the question. And I'd really, really, really like to avoid a minivan. Are there any RDX owners with 2 babies/toddlers?

Couples with 1 child definitely have plenty of room in the RDX. Storage is not a concern for me. Our stroller and baby gear look like they fit easily in the rear cargo area. Once my 11-month old is ready to sit in a booster seat, there should be plenty of room for a 2nd child. But while he's in the Britax baby seat, it may be a bit tight if we do have that 2nd child.

I think I have a pretty good deal on an '07 all set up at the dealership. The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is this.
WRX...the cargo space in the X5 is actually smaller than the cargo space in the RDX. At least it looks that way in a side-by-side comparison in Vehix. I tried to go to the site but it looks like it might be down right now so I don't have the exact specs. So if you go from the X5 to the RDX you actually improve in cargo space but I think decrease just a bit in shoulder and hip room space.

Good to know about the 1 and 2 kid situation. Sounds like we should have enough room for now.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Then I added the infant seat to see what would happen if we had a 2nd child. I tried the infant seat on the driver rear and the Britax on the passenger rear. That fit fine, but there was no room in the middle for my wife. She would have to sit in the front. So the only other option would be to have my son in the front passenger in the Britax (or a booster seat) and my wife & second child in the rear seat.
If the goal here is child safety, don't put your son in the front seat. He could be injured by the front airbag as well as the seat-mounted side airbag.

It really sounds as if you need a larger vehicle. You'll end up needing more seat room for baby-sitters, grandparents, playmates, etc.

The RDX meets the IIHS's highest standards as a "Top Safety Pick". This is a small group. Don't downgrade your family's safety choosing another vehicle. Stay with the "Top Picks".

Perhaps a Honda Pilot?