Availability Woes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 02:16 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Availability Woes!!!

Hi!! We paid our deposit way back a month or more ago and the dealer said there was one RDX Tech in our selected colours available in October, beg. of November at the latest - he said he'd hold it with our deposit and that it would be ours. We signed the sales contract and everything!!!

Now he says it's looking like late December at the earliest due to demand! Is this some kind of line or what?? He said he had one for us, and now he doesn't?

Does anyone else have information on this kind of thing or info. on the actual availability/demand for these vehicles? We selected silver and ordered in Western Canada in early September. Anyone else try to order a silver tech in the last couple of months??

Right now, I'm so furious that I feel like cancelling (if I can).

I have visions of someone pushier (and louder) than me visiting the dealer after we placed our deposit to demand that same RDX that we supposedly reserved...
Old 10-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by mommy_barbie
Right now, I'm so furious that I feel like cancelling (if I can).

I have visions of someone pushier (and louder) than me visiting the dealer after we placed our deposit to demand that same RDX that we supposedly reserved...
Everybody suspects that and probably with some reason. However, it is worthwhile to know that your sales consultant does not get paid on a deposit, only when you have your car. I'm sure he wants you to have it as much as you want to get it.

If you can't get a VIN, get an order number and a production date range.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Dennis

Well, two thoughts.

There is a scam where a dealer sells you a car at a great price, but if he can sell it for more before it arrives, he does and tells you that yours was delayed for some reason. My suspicion (although no one knows for sure) is that this is rare, and for a car that's being sold at or near MSRP, there'd be very little to gain.

I don't know how Acura works (perhaps Colin might comment on this) but sometimes when a car is in short supply, the cars are apportioned to dealers based on sales volume. That is, big dealers get more, small dealers get fewer.

Your dealer is , IMO, probably being straight with you, but I'd press him to get you a VIN as soon as possible.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made a deposit at the end of August for a tech package in carbon bronze and was told that the dealer could arrange a trade with another dealer for one in line for production, and I would see it at the end of Sept. As the end of Sept. approached, I was called by the dealer and told "a couple more weeks." I tried to get a VIN number so I could have my insurance ready to go when the vehicle arrived, but I was told it wasn't far enough along in the production cycle to have a VIN.

A week ago today, the dealer called again and said that it was now visible in the system, but would probably arrive about the end of the month. Upon my return from a business trip Wednesday, I had a message that the car was there.

I picked it up yesterday and it's GREAT!

When I asked how it was that it arrived so soon, they said that they wanted to give the "worst case scenario."

From talking with a couple of different salesman while I was waiting to take delivery, they said the tech package is tough to get, especially when you want a specific color.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Racer

If they can't deliver in 30 days or repeated miss of promised delivery then get your deposit back. It's as simple as that. Also shop somewhere else. I got that same crap from Arlington Acura in Palatine,IL. They said I could not get the color and options I want until the end of the year. Worst, they were forcing me to get the RDX with the front and rear spoilers or else wait until the end of the year. WTF. That same night I drove to Muller's Acura in Hoffman Estates, IL and they said "yes" to my demands and delivered in 3 weeks. World of difference between the two dealers. Get your deposit back and Good Luck shopping elsewhere.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Racer

Also, you can cancel if the dealer can't holdup their end of the deal. That is why I make sure I get a delivery date and make it clear in writing "if such item is not delivered before or on the date specified the buyer has the right to canel the deposit agreement and have returned all deposits." My last 3 cars I had to wait at most a month for deliver. I hate to break it to you, you are letting the dealer jery you around. Get a back bone and let them know you're the boss. Good Luck again.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SolidState
I hate to break it to you, you are letting the dealer jery you around. Get a back bone and let them know you're the boss. Good Luck again.
Do not listen to this. Unless your last 3 cars were Acuras, you are not speaking with all the knowledge necessary. I don't mean this in a terribly negative way, I just hate to see people worry or be upset unecessarily

Barbie, you may have placed your deposit in August, but this does not mean that your dealer placed the order at that time. Do you know that we are allocated a number of cars? We can only order up to that allocation amount and have to divide up our color/trim choices into the total number allocated.

Did you know we only order once a month? If you placed your deposit a day after the order went in, it was not ordered till Septembers' orders.

Yes most dealers can do dealer trades on undelivered inventory, but the dealership they want to trade with has to agree to it. If they have a customer for that color/trim they won't want to part with it.

I can't speak for the local laws regarding your deposit, but in most cases you are free to cancel and get your deposit back. You'll just have to re-order with someone else and probably wait longer. If you feel better about "showing them" then by all means go ahead. Frankly, the only thing I feel your dealer is guilty of it "telling you what you want to hear" and not the "worst case scnario."
Old 10-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Advanced

Wow!!

Tonnes of awesome replies - Here's how it worked (see what you think):

The dealer said that RDX's were on backorder across Alberta (Canada). Silver tech's are supposedly popular and there weren't any left out there.

He said that the best thing to do was give him a deposit. This would permit him to reserve one that was scheduled for production. We gave him the deposit and waited around while he reserved this particular silver tech for us - he confirmed it was ours and said Oct., early Nov. at the latest.

I called today after receiving all your replies and said that tacking on an additional 2 months to the delivery time was unacceptable. I noted that all the other Acura owners I spoke to waited only 3 to 4 weeks for delivery at most (with the majority receiving their Acura a little ahead of schedule and no delays). In addition, I noted that the dealership on the other side of town had just told me that the lead time was only 2-3 weeks for a silver tech. I then asked if someone else had taken our vehicle (probably sounded silly).

The dealer insisted that we are down for end of Dec. delivery, but will be talking to the GM of the two dealerships in town to find out what he can do - maybe trading with another customer who has one coming in earlier or bringing in one from the coast (Vancouver) if there's one on a lot. He says he can't find anything out until Monday, so this gives me time to figure out what to do. So...???
Old 10-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Colin. I know it's frustrating to wait, but if this is the car you want, it will be worth it. Yeah, there are jerks out there. You'll have to judge for yourself if the people you are dealing with are being sincere. I'm sure if they could get the car sooner, they would, because they want the sale. I don't think there's much to gain by stringing you along.

No offense, Solid State, but you don't seem to be happy with anything that has to do with your RDX. All your posts are pretty negative, maybe your avatar is affecting your outlook.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Digits
No offense, Solid State, but you don't seem to be happy with anything that has to do with your RDX. All your posts are pretty negative, maybe your avatar is affecting your outlook.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
Do not listen to this. Unless your last 3 cars were Acuras, you are not speaking with all the knowledge necessary. I don't mean this in a terribly negative way, I just hate to see people worry or be upset unecessarily
I'm just going from my own experience. If I had went with the first dealer and believe everything he said, I would be still waiting and had to buy accessories I didn't want. I put a 30 day limit deliveries. If the dealer say they can deliver in 30 days then I put a deposit. I have never gone more than 30 days. My S2000 is only one that took the full 30 days from the day of my deposit. If the dealer say a certain date and don't deliver on multiple promised date, where do you draw the line?

And "Yes" some sales people are jerks. Arlington Acura also would let me test drive until I placed a deposit first. What is that? It was just one particular sales guy. The other two I talked to on previous occasions were real helpful. I was on the waiting list at Arlington Acura, so when they called to test drive I told them what had happen when I visited and I told them I got what I wanted from another Acura dealer.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:55 AM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Check my other post

West Side > Southview.

Southview HAD alot of scam artist people working there. THey've gone through 2 shop foremans already.

I like Fab and his crew though, always do a great job on my TL and installs, good guy!
Old 10-15-2006, 02:48 AM
Advanced

Gagan -

Thanks Gagan for the warning - I replied on your other post (the one responding to the price paid in Canada for RDX's I think).

Good to hear from someone around home - everyone on this board is awesome!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SolidState
I'm just going from my own experience....
I know you are and I didn't mean to sound harsh. However, your sample size is much too small to speak in such general terms. Barbie is trying to get a popular car, in the first or second batch shipping to dealers, (and in Canada to boot). Delays should be expected and IMO accepted with a little more grace. To use your example, were you trying to get an S2000 in September of 1999?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:37 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Ok, Colin, my last Six cars were Acuras and before that two Hondas, so am I qualified?

My experience buying new Acuras over the years at different dealerships has been very consistent. I've purchased cars from at least 5 different dealerships in the New England area, specifically Vermont, NH, and MA. Only one, North Hampton Acura in NH got my repeat business, and only because they gave me the price I wanted, and this was due to me hitting the jackpot and getting a rookie salesdroid the second time I went back.

Generally, most salesdroids are like Hyenas, if you show them you're not timid, and know how to work the system, you can form a sort of wary comradery, but if you show any fear or nervousness at all, they will decend on your checkbook with a vengence.

Just the fact that you say orders a placed once a month shows me a the vast majority of dealers operate on misinformation and stringing the customer along.

Frankly, how I get treated by the sales staff at a dealer is irrelevant for the most part...it's all about supply and demand.(and knowing where the local dealer's overflow lot is.)

We as consumers have the power to walk away anytime we want, and not enough of us do.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lumpulus
......most salesdroids are like Hyenas.....
Well, let's just say that there are a lot of times where both sides behave "less than honorably" and nobody has a monopoly on virtue. I can say that if I took every bad experience with a lying customer into my next transaction, I'd probably be the type of salesdroid hyena that nobody likes. I try to give everybody the benefit of the doubt because someone has to try to break the cycle of mistrust.

Anyway, I've offered my thoughts to barbie and am not looking to get into a "all salesguys are bastards" type thread - Aloha
Old 10-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Well, let's just say that there are a lot of times where both sides behave "less than honorably" and nobody has a monopoly on virtue. I can say that if I took every bad experience with a lying customer into my next transaction, I'd probably be the type of salesdroid hyena that nobody likes. I try to give everybody the benefit of the doubt because someone has to try to break the cycle of mistrust.

Anyway, I've offered my thoughts to barbie and am not looking to get into a "all salesguys are bastards" type thread - Aloha
I must say, I have dealt with pflueger acura a few times, and have had nothing but pleasant, up front and honest dealings. I don't think I have ever talked with you directly, Colin, but anyone I have dealt with there has been great. of course, you also have a sort of monopoly when it comes to acuras since you are the only acura dealer on an island, but still you all are very professional and operate with plenty of aloha spirit.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:31 PM
aw1
Pro

if you dont want to wait, then cancel the order and get your money back. go to another dealer or buy a infiniiti, lexus or something else. i waited 3 months for my color combo back in 05. acuras are in high demand and you are not the only one who wants one which is causing the delay. best bang for the buck in my opinion for a car. i agree that some sales people are scumbags but some are not. good luck with your purchase.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:44 PM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

I had to wait about 1 week for my RDX Tech in Carbon Gray. Eventually the dealer I used traded with another dealer instead of having me wait for their "next delivery". I had three dealers to choose from, and all seemed to have pretty good inventory. A good mix of colors and tech/non-tech. Just not in my specific combination.