Another build quality question: unsymmetrical wheel well rubber lining?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another build quality question: unsymmetrical wheel well rubber lining?

guys, thanks for the help on the window rattles/hissing sound. so far, that's been part of the "honda quality" it seems. at the same time, here's another weird observation today which maybe you guys can shed some light on:

on our rear rdx wheel wells, there's a rubber lining on the outlines presumably to protect it from corrosion/stone chips/too much water splashing etc.

what i noticed is that in my rdx, the rubber lining to protect the rear left wheel well stretches all the way to where the bumper meets the body. on the right rear wheel well the rubber liner stops shorts of approx 1/2" prior the the bumper (hence you can see some painted metal parts). is this normal or another build quality problem?

short of going to see other rdx's in a strip mall and comparing it (and be like a fool in the process ), thought i'd ask if you guys noticed this too? im afraid that having owned a late 90's civic (and those rusting rear wheel wells) i might suffer the same fate in our rdx so worth trying to nip these in the bud... thanks!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

guys, managed to compare my rdx with one that actually parked in my street just now... lucky me i managed to find someone to compare, unlucky me that i noticed that these rubber liner issue is only in my vehicle... (eg one is shorter than the other on the wheel well outline). ill bring it to the dealer for fixing... thanks for reading anyways...
Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
good luck... mine wasn't clean enough to tell!
Gonna' check it the next time I take it to the high-pressure wash.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

hey xis, thanks. just got bk fm dealer - it was indeed a misaligned lining. cant believe the QC for the RDX on these things. i can live with these for now (minor compared to audi electronics/engine horror stories) took the whole of 30 mins for them to realign - it was prolly a slow day today LOL.

to be honest, it's still not "perfect" but acceptable given that the service rep said it's already "ok" (didnt wanna argue anymore, after all they did align it somewhat). fyi, now there's a little smidge of excess rubber lining towards the rear bumper (where it was lacking earlier) and a smidge lacking towards the (wheel well) side on the rear passenger door (where it was in excess earlier, i presume). guess you cant completely have this "perfect". at least it's not as misaligned as 1/2" earlier, now just prolly 1mm. yes im too precise but you'd expect these things to be aligned just as they're made, esp with the wheel wells, and hondas rust record, taking extra precaution's better

as for the window rattles (see my other thread), yes, i mentioned it, and they said, perennial acura/honda issue - better not to muck around with it - so i let it be, they are, after all, the dealer and the largest dealer here in Toronto so i trust their word...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

addendum to DIY'ers out there: i managed to actually align the wheel well lip liners myself. it's an easy fix (shouldnt have bothered with bringing it to the dealer now that i know). just push back the liners (straight back- careful not to bend it as it has a wire inside to shape the liner) and reattach. i also called the dealership to find out if one should put an adhesive, they said no, it should attach properly in place by itself. there's no screws, no fasteners, etc. just fyi since i actually saw an rdx today that had their liners already out of the wheel well lip. hope this helps.