2011 RDX vs 2010 TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 RDX vs 2010 TL

Can you guys help me with pros and cons of getting a 2011 RDX SH-AWD Tech vs 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech? I'm located in the midwest and see quite a bit of snow and in-climate weather. Do the Tech packages match up with the TL? Is the ELS sound system just as good as the TLs? How about the navigation screen and the resolution? Is the RDX roomier? Just so you know... we have 2 MDXs (03 and 07) currently and those are not an option to buy currently.

I was dead set on getting the TL, but my father said that the back seats seemed cramped and that the RDX would offer more room and utility.

Is the leather the same as the TL? Milano leather? How about the quality of materials? The complaint of the RDX is that it uses a lot of hard plastic materials.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:03 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The TL has the ELS generation 2 - so no, the RDX does not sound nearly as good (and no hard disk storage) as its the first ELS introduced into the Acura brand. It also lacks the new high quality screen found in the TL.

I much prefer to drive the RDX all day. Way more room than the TL, i detest the cockpit of the TL; it feels cluttered and too much going on, i also feel very cramped (and im under 6ft and average build). obviously this is more of a sport-oriented car, but I appreciate something with more openness. The TSX, imo, is much more comfortable.

additionally, the RDX has balls. its more fun to drive. We have a 2010 TL FWD, and I dont care for it, at all. the bluetooth buttons mounted on the steering wheel are terribly placed, they are literally mounted inside the rung @ 9 on the steering wheel and flush to the spoke. Every singgggggle time i turn the car i turn the blue tooth on. It drives me so crazy that Ill opt to drive something else. I also inadvertently hit the button just holding the wheel. Minor issue...but it will grow on you like you wouldnt believe.

The TL cabin is just a bit more plushy than the RDX, but i dont find nearly as dramatic of difference as say, comparing the RDX to the MDX.

The RDX has no upgradable leather, and they claimed to have increased interior quality in the 2010 forward. Who knows. The perforations on my 2008 have torn some on the front seats (flaked off from the pinholes). The RDX dash is the biggest drawback as its basically entirely plastic. as well as the door handle flanks and most of the rear doors (not softer vinyl like up front). The silver trim pieces down the dash can scratch easily if you are not careful. But, overall, the plastic has held up very well if you take care of it. The RDX ride is not as quiet and i find more wind noise. Of course, we are comparing a truck to a car.

If AWD is the concern, i think the RDX is a much better value and, its a lot more fun to drive. the engine has balls and this equates to some serious fun with SHAWD. the power is strong and delivery is low end, I find the TL to be absent after initial take off. The TL is a good car, but i think, at least in AWD version its priced too high for the overall package, get the G37, or save some cash and buy the RDX. I see you seem to be an Acura brand..so maybe leaving the brand is out of the question. Id still recommend the RDX over the TL.

Last edited by MMike1981; 11-21-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Advanced

I appreciate the response. We already have a G35x in the family! As far as price goes, it is negligible because of the negotiated price on a 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech ($36,700 + TTL). I was really disappointed in the ELS system and Nav screen resolution in our 2007 MDX and if things haven't been updated on the 2011 RDX, I find it very hard to pull the trigger on that. I'm a technophile and things like that matter to me. If I'm going to be spending the same amount of money I would rather get more luxury appointments and a more luxurious feel. I see too much CR-V influence in the RDX unfortunately, even though it is an amazing sport-ute. Seeing as how we already have 2 MDXs and I won't need to be hauling anything major (just driving between hospitals for rotations), I would much rather replace the old MDX with the next full model change MDX.

Since the car is mainly for me, I do not plan on transporting things or transporting many people (maybe a few people to lunch during breaks or to go out at night) for a long distance.

You say you have the FWD TL... have you driven the SH-AWD TL? I heard the difference is night and day.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I believe that the new MDX is vastly superior to the 07 in the technology department. I wouldn't know what to choose between the TL and RDX because I don't know what you want/like in a car (driving wise), but I have to say that I hate the way the TL drives, the current generation and the one before that.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

own an rdx, test drove the tl. driven the 2010 rdx extensively. mike's post essentially say it all and id confirm 2010 interior quality is slightly better vs previous years'. unfortunately, rdx and tl are both built in the US (not japan) - so youll have the usual noise/creaks/build quality "non-tightness" - so for me it's a wash in that department.

it seems like you're leaning to the TL anyways. if youre a technophile and all, i think RDX audio/navi etc will disappoint relative to TL and MDX (one doesnt need to own those vehicles to know - ive sat in both of them and i envy them LOL - hence am potentially buying an MDX myself once the family expands a bit more
Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 PM
big shot.

the RDX is a massive let down in the audio and nav/audio/interface controls and level of quality in its 2011 model year. at a time when you can buy nissans w/full color displays w/o even a nav unit, the RDX stuff is archaic. im one poster who prefers the sound of the base model over the RDX ELS too, out of the many times ive driven the Tech pkg, i could never, ever, find the proper leveling of the center channel matched with the rest of the system; it never sounds well balanced nor natural. the speaks still do not handle bass well and break up, even with the extra power handling & rating of the ELS equipment. In fact, many els speaks blow consistently. The gen 2 made lots of improvements in the TL. Still the same old kit in the RDX ie nothing at all to get you excited unless u find one of the 12 dvd-a's ever made (exaggeration) haha.

If you are used to the MDX level of comfort and lux, the RDX is a huge let down and I agree its a juiced CRV.

looks like i was right on the money with the G37 hahah.

I have driven the SHAWD had it for a day while my RDX was in the shop and im not a fan. Given the engine difference, negligble performance difference if its even noticable. Handling, of course its a lot sharper. BUt in the end, your price on the SHAWD Tech makes it attractive. at that point id say its a matter of preference. personally, i do not care for the TL and think there are better rides out there right now that offer more engaging driving, better steering, more personality, and better lux features. On price like always, acura leads that dept.

Last edited by MMike1981; 11-21-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
UGH! Don't listen to this tool!
He has some helpful posts every so often, but most the time he is whining about his purchase that he keeps driving, nonetheless.

Base sound over ELS? I want to smoke what YOU got!!

ELS in RDX sounds better than ELS in MDX due to cabin size. The RDX with ELS just rocks, period.
Listen for yourself, not someone's newest rant that wishes he shelled out 5-10K more for a ride.
Juiced up CRV? You sound like a hater, not objective at all.

PLEASE - mmmmmmmmmike. Do something about that studder, and sell your acura so you can go piss in a Audi or Infinity forum.

Everyone else. Drive one for yourself. Listen for yourself. You be the judge.

peace out
Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, I think the ELS in the RDX is the best sounding car audio system I've ever heard, but then again I'm not an "audiophile" if that matters to anyone, and don't really havea broad frame of reference when it comes to competing premium systems or the newer gen MDX/TL system. I had a Nissan with the "premium" Rockford-Fosgate and that sounded like ass most likely because of their choice of speakers. I ended up replacing all the 6x9's in that vehicle with Polk Audio.

The RDX is the first car that I've owned that I have zero intention of upgrading any of the speakers. My understanding is that the newer gen ELS uses a more powerful amplifier but who cares? Hell my volume rarely goes past 10 and to me that's loud as hell. XM and IPOD sound awesome in the RDX.

Again, just my 2 cents.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:37 AM
XIS
Lizard King

with a DVD-A, try Queen, Elton or Yes for example, 10 is very loud, but it can take it past 30 easily and still sound crisp and clean

I am not saying the ELS in the RDX is the best of the best of the best, but it is
insanely good out of the box
Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by XIS
with a DVD-A, try Queen, Elton or Yes for example, 10 is very loud, but it can take it past 30 easily and still sound crisp and clean

I am not saying the ELS in the RDX is the best of the best of the best, but it is
How many DVD-A can you buy on the street? It would be better to have an cassette deck than the DVD-A format...
Old 11-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Cruisin'

I think the Els in my 2008 RDX Tech sounds very good for a car system- stock or aftermarket. The left hand on the piano carries pretty good weight and bass guitar sounds very convincing. However, it does not have the unrealistic and bloated bass impact that most consumers want- so many will say it is not a good system because all they listen for is that "boom" whether they admit it or not.

The system is tuned for accuracy and flat response which makes sense since Els spends his time in the studio.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
XIS
Lizard King

ha ha - not...

You should just use your walkman... remember those?

Not sure how many you can buy on the street or online. I am aware the format is dead and that is unfortunate.

I have about 10 of them so far. Never paid over $20. Find them used on ebay and you have to keep checking.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
How many DVD-A can you buy on the street? It would be better to have an cassette deck than the DVD-A format...
eBay
Old 11-22-2010, 07:04 PM
big shot.

when i think premium upmarket stereo, the last possible brand on my list is panasonic.

THE ELS gen 2 is WAY MORE than just more power. The components, material, power handling etc have all been upgraded and/or changed. The difference is quite impactful. the new TL sounds nothing like the old TL. Lets not even forget that in honda/acuras infinite wisdom, they have continued for about what 15 or so years to not include a midrange EQ. if you are going to put a great system in, at least put it in with enough sound insulation and housing so that the RATTLE THE SYSTEM CREATES does not overpower the music. The sub rattles the shit out of the liftgate, the deck mounted sub in the sedans rattle the shit out of the paneling. figure it out. Compare your ELS to the B&O in the Audi.

I posted this link a while ago on the board, but here it is again: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...18/096839.html

In a great system, among other attributes, its all about frequency response and the quality of the components. The ELS 2 is much better in this dept.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 PM
big shot.

btw...not saying the ELS is like some sort of boom box, quite the contrary. its just, not that great. i dont get the touting.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:21 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by Les Anderson
eBay
Originally Posted by XIS
ha ha - not...

You should just use your walkman... remember those?

Not sure how many you can buy on the street or online. I am aware the format is dead and that is unfortunate.

I have about 10 of them so far. Never paid over $20. Find them used on ebay and you have to keep checking.
At least with a Cassette you are not limited to Elton John and Queen....
DVD-A is a dead format and I don't know why they even offered in the RDX.

I feel that the RDX is the youngest sibling in the house that gets things used or that are not useful anymore.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 PM
XIS
Lizard King

CD selection is not limited. they sound fairly decent.

why even use cassette to try and make your point?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by XIS
CD selection is not limited. they sound fairly decent.

why even use cassette to try and make your point?

Seriously? how many DVD-A of the top 100 albums from iTunes can you get?
back
Old 11-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I have no reason to join this discussion!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Advanced

End of discussion. You people really don't know how to stay on-topic over here in the RDX forum!! lol

Old 11-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
those are two completely different cars. The rdx is a crossover and the TL is full size sedan. i say get both lol. Seriously in the end the deciding factor should be whether you want a large sedan or crossover. they are both good cars but make sure you get SH-AWD! That's a must! Even though the ride is firm, it's never hash.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by Acura_MD
End of discussion. You people really don't know how to stay on-topic over here in the RDX forum!! lol

nice, enjoy.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 AM
big shot.

btw, did u even drive the RDX or just skip to the better appointed TL
Old 11-23-2010, 07:36 AM
StayAtHomeDad

With that car you also get the better (TL) forum @ Azine
Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMike1981
btw, did u even drive the RDX or just skip to the better appointed TL
I've driven a few as loaners. Honestly it came down to the interior and the interior of the RDX is severely lacking. Too much plastic for my taste. Also, the fact that the Nav screen and the ELS system were not upgraded for 2011 really hurt it. I wish there was some parity across the Acura line in terms of that, but I guess they don't feel that it's a big selling point in the RDX whereas the TL, MDX and RL are all touted for their amazing technology.

We already have 2 MDXs and compared to an MDX, the RDX does not live up to our expectations, but that's because they're 2 different beasts. Regardless, the RDX is a great vehicle, best of luck to you all!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Copy cat shinobi

You know if i was serious about the sound the RDX has I would have swaped in my MB quart psd 216 6.5" componets that I have laying in my closet and use only Compact Disc's and zero mp3. Mb quart Q's were BEST SQ on the market won many audio comps.

The system is not enthusiast or audiophile, but SQ outside of Car audio compititions are subjective to the individual. I have the RDX at: T+4/ B+2/ F f2/ C+0/ NF+2. This setup is my fav, all-round hip-pop to classical. The Acura sound systems are decent and definately better than the 98 Lexus RX system.

Personally I'd like to see an mini-TOSlink port for the Acura. I am already talking to the ELS side of Panny. We'll have to wait to see it that one goes in to the next design that could go into every acura.

Last edited by Kaze66218; 11-23-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:13 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by XIS

^^THIS! ican say that i another reason i love driving my wifes RDX over my 05 TL is due tot he sound system! definitely clean and sounds much better than my TL's and the 07n MDX i had for a loaner a while back my
Old 11-23-2010, 04:04 PM
big shot.

I've driven a few as loaners. Honestly it came down to the interior and the interior of the RDX is severely lacking. Too much plastic for my taste. Also, the fact that the Nav screen and the ELS system were not upgraded for 2011 really hurt it. I wish there was some parity across the Acura line in terms of that, but I guess they don't feel that it's a big selling point in the RDX whereas the TL, MDX and RL are all touted for their amazing technology.

We already have 2 MDXs and compared to an MDX, the RDX does not live up to our expectations, but that's because they're 2 different beasts. Regardless, the RDX is a great vehicle, best of luck to you all!
sounds good
Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
LOCK IT
Old 11-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
umm

I own a TL and a RDX. And I have also owned the CRV.RDX is a juiced up CRV ?
Funny thats what the Honda salesman told us when we told him we were buying a RDX instead of the CRV.
The RDX is 1000 times better than any CRV in every department. Thats like saying the TL is nothing more than a juiced up accord---which is idiotic.
As far as what to buy...If your into Tech the TL is better(better nav resolution, better stereo, better gauge layout--very "techy" on the inside
XM radio, which IMO sounded like crap on the 3G tl's sounds amazing on the 4G TL's)
than the RDX hands down. Its a 10 on the inside and with a few tweaks could be an 8 on the outside. I personally dont think the SH-AWD is worth it unless you want to get a stick...than its DEFINITELY worth it. The regular FWD TL handles any condition you can throw at it--its great in snow and very fast. In its base form the car IMO is a little plane looking but a few tweaks and it can look really good.
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-photograph-gallery-296/got-cbp-crystal-black-pearl-703691/
Old 11-24-2010, 09:38 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by SilverJ
RDX is a juiced up CRV ?
Funny thats what the Honda salesman told us when we told him we were buying a RDX instead of the CRV.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703691
That's exactly when my friend who owned a CR-V told me, laughing, when he saw me...I gave him the keys and let him drive...it took about a minute for him to realize that the two don't have anything in common regarding the way they drive.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Advanced

I was not commenting on the way they drive (RDX and CRV). I was commenting on the interior which you have to admit is severely lacking. Yes, there is a difference between them and I didn't mean to insult you and your purchase. The difference between the RDX and CRV when comparing driving is night and day. The interior is not up to par though with what is offered in the MDX, TL, RL, which is disappointing. Too much plastic going on. The SH-AWD, in my opinion, is the best AWD and handling system out there right now. BMW trolls can suck it.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:48 AM
StayAtHomeDad

I was not commenting on the way they drive (RDX and CRV). I was commenting on the interior which you have to admit is severely lacking. Yes, there is a difference between them and I didn't mean to insult you and your purchase. The difference between the RDX and CRV when comparing driving is night and day. The interior is not up to par though with what is offered in the MDX, TL, RL, which is disappointing. Too much plastic going on. The SH-AWD, in my opinion, is the best AWD and handling system out there right now. BMW trolls can suck it.
I don't think that you are insulting anyone. Everyone knows (whether they admit it or not) that the RDX, although a great car, lacks many things in the refinement department.
And I would hope that there are clear differences in quality and materials between the CR-V and RDX, otherwise what's the point of paying that much more....Congrats again on the TL

BTW, what years are the MDXs you own?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I don't think that you are insulting anyone. Everyone knows (whether they admit it or not) that the RDX, although a great car, lacks many things in the refinement department.
And I would hope that there are clear differences in quality and materials between the CR-V and RDX, otherwise what's the point of paying that much more....Congrats again on the TL

BTW, what years are the MDXs you own?
+1. am curious to find out why you ended up buying another acura? there's a thread i started and while i own an RDX, am considering another acura but not sure if i would go MDX and TL seems to be getting interesting based on the trail here (though i still find TL looks hard to swallow)
Old 11-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Ahh..I didnt realize you bought the TL AWD. Good for you !
Funny the interior was EXACTLY what we compared when we looked at the CRV and the RDX--this was in 2008 mind u. The CRV is not on the same leve interior wise either. The RDX seats are some of the best of any car IMO, and I really like the interior a lot--in black with aluminum trim only it looks great. Way better than the CRV. Now..is it as nice as the new TL. NO...so i do get your point here but the CRV doesnt stack up. no place for it in this conversation. Ive owned them all.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by amfsumo
+1. and TL seems to be getting interesting based on the trail here (though i still find TL looks hard to swallow)
I felt like you too on the TL but did u see the thread I posted earlier ? You paint the grill and back silver strip and black out the tails(about 500 dollars total) and the car is stunning, better than the 3G IMO...and I OWN a 3G.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Why not wait to see what 2012 RDX gets. I'm sure that it wont get left as the only Acura w/o VGA navi. I can bet you it gets this upgrade just like its cheaper TSX is getting.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:52 PM
big shot.

the TSX seems to be acuras biggest push; between the wagon, and engine options & upgrades...where were these for the 2010 RDX? no where. The TSX represents the best value in the brand (if you stay with the 4 cyl).

I still say to this day; the best vehicle acura could sell would be the TSX 4cyl Turbo SHAWD (V6 option). thing would set records. Ditch the TL. Keep an RL-like sedan as the upper scale.

The fact that the RDX basically got NOTHING on the 2010 leads me to think, at least imo, that it may be a dead platform due to nothing invested into it. The fact that the 2010 did not get the ELS gen 2/nav is unexplainable. The TSX got it. The TSX even got remapped shifting for better MPG and added sound-deading. where was that? you could probably label those things as top priority among RDX owners.

I dont blame the OP NOT getting the RDX
Old 11-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Copy cat shinobi

This is a apple to oranges debate, I would have suggested this at the inception of the thread.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
the RDX is a massive let down in the audio and nav/audio/interface controls and level of quality in its 2011 model year. at a time when you can buy nissans w/full color displays w/o even a nav unit, the RDX stuff is archaic. im one poster who prefers the sound of the base model over the RDX ELS too, out of the many times ive driven the Tech pkg, i could never, ever, find the proper leveling of the center channel matched with the rest of the system; it never sounds well balanced nor natural. the speaks still do not handle bass well and break up, even with the extra power handling & rating of the ELS equipment. In fact, many els speaks blow consistently. The gen 2 made lots of improvements in the TL. Still the same old kit in the RDX ie nothing at all to get you excited unless u find one of the 12 dvd-a's ever made (exaggeration) haha.

If you are used to the MDX level of comfort and lux, the RDX is a huge let down and I agree its a juiced CRV.

looks like i was right on the money with the G37 hahah.

I have driven the SHAWD had it for a day while my RDX was in the shop and im not a fan. Given the engine difference, negligble performance difference if its even noticable. Handling, of course its a lot sharper. BUt in the end, your price on the SHAWD Tech makes it attractive. at that point id say its a matter of preference. personally, i do not care for the TL and think there are better rides out there right now that offer more engaging driving, better steering, more personality, and better lux features. On price like always, acura leads that dept.
Usually I find a reason to disagree with most of what you say. However on this post I can agree with 95% of what you wrote.

Quick Reply: 2011 RDX vs 2010 TL