2009 RDX P0976 Code

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 09:35 PM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 RDX P0976 Code

Blinking D came on, Check Trans Light came on, Check Engine Light came. The usual stuff when the Control or Shift Solenoids malfunction I believe. Please correct me if I am wrong on some of my terminology etc...
0976 is solenoid "B" code. Ordered part, two new gaskets from the dealer. Got everything apart. There are a lot of plugs on this part of the wiring harness wow - and the battery tray has some difficult bolts.
Cleaned and got everything back together including the three tubes with the screens that fit the dual shift solenoid. Here's where I'm stuck.
First I want to confirm that the control solenoid with the orange wire is the "B" solenoid. Had trouble finding a schematic but was able to find a YouTube video. If I changed the wrong one that would make some sense.
While I was putting the last battery tray bolt in - the extension and swivel were kind of hitting the plug of the control solenoids, so I unplugged to get a bit more room so it wouldn't get damaged.
Got the bolt in feeling pretty good at this point and went to star the car. Nothing. Warning light were still on and car wouldn't shift into gear. You guessed it i forgot to plug the connector back in. Shut the car off plugged it back in and same warning lights were still on. Figure it threw a new code because I forgot to plug it in. Went to read it before clearing it. Had all 4 control solenoid codes as you would expect but I couldn't clear them.
Took it in to the dealer at this point and called them today and they can't figure it out. They were able to clear the codes but the 0976 was still there.
Could I have done something to the ECM when I started it with the plug undone maybe?
I thought about changing the small control solenoid wiring harness while I was in there but didn't? Not sure why that would have gone bad. Was going to do all the solenoids after reading some posts but it was another $800 in parts.

Any thoughts. appreciate the help.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:08 PM
6th Gear

Update: I know there is very little info about this problem so I will update to help out as much as possible. I mentioned I wasn't sure if I had the correct solenoid. Turns out I may have done the wrong one.
Here are the the wire colors and designations for the 4 solenoids;

Yellow is "A"
Red is "B" the code for "B" is P0976
Green is "C"
Orange is "D" I thought Orange was "B". Damn it Gumby.

I need to confirm because Orange and Red may look similar as I don't think i was paying that close attention.
Hope this helps someone.

I'll report back later.
The following users liked this post:
DaIll1 (05-19-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 06:18 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
End result? I know I changed the battery a couple of years ago! And never ran into problems where I needed to start unplugging wires,
Old 05-27-2021, 10:04 PM
6th Gear

Latest,

Honda Dealer had it for a week. Confirmed ECM wasn't the issue. Also they said they checked my work and everything looked good. Not sure if they pulled the "B" solenoid and checked it. Ultimately they said there was no continuity between Green/white wire to solenoid. Not sure where they were checking from to the solenoid wire? They called and said it had to go to an Acura dealer / service shop because they had better schematics as they couldn't find the break. Fortunately they didn't charge me so I called a local place that advertised Acura repair. Will be dropping it off in the next day or so. Will post back after that.

Interesting about the battery change reply. Sounds like changing the battery obviously cleared the code and the issue never came. That's awesome. If the new place determines it is the "B" solenoid - depending on what they want to charge me I will do a you tube video on how to access and change these solenoids.

BTW - The Red and Orange wires are easily distinguishable.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:48 AM
6th Gear

Was going to edit an earlier post but couldn't figure out how to or if I can.

Code updates:

P0974 - A
P0976 - B
P0980 - C
P0983 - D

Old 06-04-2021, 11:59 AM
CSmoney28

Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks for the updates and yes the flashing D happens a lot on the transmission when the pressure solenoids go bad, which they do a lot on this RDX.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:01 AM
6th Gear

Final result.

Fixed.

Ended up being the "B" shift solenoid after all. No way the Honda dealer tested them or they didn't know how to. Should read about 16 ohms through the coil. Bad one was at 5.6. Wiring harness was fine. No idea how they thought there was an open in the wiring somewhere.
The video I watched where a guy did a Honda Odyssey (looked just like the RDX) and he changed the orange wire solenoid and called it the "B" solenoid I'm guessing was in correct. That's why I changed the wrong one. He was able to get the correct one because I believe he tested each one (12v to fire the solenoid) to find the bad one. I didn't do that because sometimes solenoids will act like they are good when they are not. Was going to replace it regardless. I did not have access to the ohm spec until after talking to the 2nd shop I took it to. Could have checked each one I believe pretty easily. You tube is good but once in a while..... I learned a few things on this one.

BTW the 2nd shop guy was a 20 year master mechanic at Honda. He and his son started a shop. Pays out the nose for schematics which is why I couldn't find anything on line. He says to change the trans fluid on schedule.

Hardest part about this job was:

1st - getting the battery tray out.
2nd - the wiring harness, lots of connectors
3rd - cleaning the gasket material.

Be careful to pull the old solenoid straight out. It will be tight.
Clean the three tubes with the screens on the dual linear solenoids as well. This sits on the housing where the shift solenoids are located.

Hope this helps someone.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ali09:
DaIll1 (06-10-2021), Tomtwtwtw (06-10-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 12:37 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ali09
Fixed.

Ended up being the "B" shift solenoid after all. No way the Honda dealer tested them or they didn't know how to. Should read about 16 ohms through the coil. Bad one was at 5.6. Wiring harness was fine. No idea how they thought there was an open in the wiring somewhere.
The video I watched where a guy did a Honda Odyssey (looked just like the RDX) and he changed the orange wire solenoid and called it the "B" solenoid I'm guessing was in correct. That's why I changed the wrong one. He was able to get the correct one because I believe he tested each one (12v to fire the solenoid) to find the bad one. I didn't do that because sometimes solenoids will act like they are good when they are not. Was going to replace it regardless. I did not have access to the ohm spec until after talking to the 2nd shop I took it to. Could have checked each one I believe pretty easily. You tube is good but once in a while..... I learned a few things on this one.

BTW the 2nd shop guy was a 20 year master mechanic at Honda. He and his son started a shop. Pays out the nose for schematics which is why I couldn't find anything on line. He says to change the trans fluid on schedule.

Hardest part about this job was:

1st - getting the battery tray out.
2nd - the wiring harness, lots of connectors
3rd - cleaning the gasket material.

Be careful to pull the old solenoid straight out. It will be tight.
Clean the three tubes with the screens on the dual linear solenoids as well. This sits on the housing where the shift solenoids are located.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks Ali09 for the info, you are correct, there isn't a whole lot of info out there on this job. I am currently having the flashing D and P0976 code in my 07 RDX and have decided to replace my B solenoid. Do you recall if your B solenoid had the Black or Red connector? From what I have seen there are 2 black and 2 red and I assume the 2 blacks are the same exact solenoid and the 2 reds are also the same exact solenoid?
Old 11-17-2021, 04:13 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Oh man, just looking at this now. Sorry I started a new thread on the same error message. And thanks for your update. I will follow-up as well if I have anything different to help out my fellow RDX owner's.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:20 AM
6th Gear

Sorry - just saw this. Yes the same connectors are the same solenoid I believe. If you do a part number search you should be able to confirm. I only recall looking at them and noticing two each looked the same. You should still have different colored wire I would think for each one though.
I listed the wire colors for the corresponding solenoids.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have taken everything out of my 2007 RDX and just pulled shift solenoid B. It is the one connected to the red wire.

Weird part is that it's a brown connector, rather than a black connector like most online shops show: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+solenoid,8476

Wondering if that's a Honda/Accura difference or a model year difference. Anyone know why that'd be?