2008 RDX Turbo Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 04:31 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 RDX Turbo Issues

Hey guys,

2008 RDX with about 150k miles. When accelerating fast, the turbo kicks on, then the car jolts, and a Christmas tree appears on the dash. CEL code P0229 (turbo charge boost low pressure abnormal), plus SHAWD and ABS. This happens consistently when the turbo gauge needle goes around over half way up.

Additionally, sometimes when I slam the pedal the turbo gauge will only spool up half way, and I don't have very much acceleration.

Mechanic says waste gate won't move (tried direct pressure activation with no luck), and possibly a bad boost control valve, and that I need a new turbo.

I've found some other threads that seem similar, but not with my specific code or the "jolt" felt during power loss when it acts up. Any help would be immensely appreciated!!!
Old 08-04-2021, 05:16 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
why not trust your mechanic?!?!?!?!

if the gate wont move, that could be your issue...
Old 08-04-2021, 05:23 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Stinsonbr
Hey guys,

2008 RDX with about 150k miles. When accelerating fast, the turbo kicks on, then the car jolts, and a Christmas tree appears on the dash. CEL code P0229 (turbo charge boost low pressure abnormal), plus SHAWD and ABS. This happens consistently when the turbo gauge needle goes around over half way up.

Additionally, sometimes when I slam the pedal the turbo gauge will only spool up half way, and I don't have very much acceleration.

Mechanic says waste gate won't move (tried direct pressure activation with no luck), and possibly a bad boost control valve, and that I need a new turbo.

I've found some other threads that seem similar, but not with my specific code or the "jolt" felt during power loss when it acts up. Any help would be immensely appreciated!!!
Sorry, I left out some context. I've found something that makes me want to try changing the turbo variable flow eye bolt. Curious if that sounds like something worth trying?
Old 08-04-2021, 05:24 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
why not trust your mechanic?!?!?!?!

if the gate wont move, that could be your issue...
Sorry I left out an actual specific question in my post. Just replied to the post with the real question.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:04 PM
CSmoney28

Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
Definitely worth trying
Old 09-03-2021, 12:00 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Stinsonbr
Hey guys,

Hi- I had all the symptoms you speak of. The jolt included. My wastegate valve was stuck in the open position and I had no spool. Sometimes at highway speeds I guess it would spool a little and I would get that jolt and the xmas tree. The problem was the wastegate actuator. Some people have had other fixes where the actuator itself isnt bad but the metal i-ring on the actuators arm has worn out.... or something. You can find tons of info on the forums here about it and if your solution is simple you may even be able to fix it yourself (some guy wrapped some wire around the i-ring part). Took me a little while to find a mechanic who had actually even heard of the problem before and knew the deal. Hope that helps. It was these forums that helped me finally understand and fix the problem. All in all cost me around 850 (parts+labor) which is probably on the high end... I tell myself at least I didn't need to replace the whole turbo...
Old 09-07-2021, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts
I think 850 is on the high side, but there is no book rate for this job so it's not cut and dry from the mechanic's view point. I will say it took me about 3 hours in my garage to do this, taking frequent breaks to review Youtube videos. A competent mechanic can probably do it in half the time. End of the day though, 850 is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new turbo, which is what most shops end up quoting for P2263.

OP, you can get a visual on your turbo inlet bolt but just popping the hood and looking at the back of the engine from the passenger side. Shine a flashlight down there and it should be obvious if your bolt is worn. If so, I would replace it before taking more drastic steps.