Widest tire that will fit on stock 16 rims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 10:28 PM
The Supreme Doja Holder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Widest tire that will fit on stock 16 rims?

This is my first post here and would like to say, Hello all!

Ok, that out of the way, I have to get new tires tomorrow and was wondering what the widest tire is that I can stuff on the factory rims? I went to Sears today to see about their famous "Plus sizing" (supposedly they are supposed to know what will work without error) and they said ", you can't plus size on that vehicle, it's not a buick" Pretty simple logic they use there. I was disappointed to say the least, so here I am to get some real answers.

Right now I have the stock 205/55/16 MXV4's that have been fantastic. The only reason I am replacing them is because I used my vehicle as a stunt car in a pinch for a movie we were shooting. The tires stood up to the challenge but there is considerable stress damage after the fact. So, now that I am stuck replacing them I would like to get a wider stance, just without any rubbing. I have to admit, the stock rubber looks very skinny, esp. from the rear. It would be nice to at least get up to a 225.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Got a vid of the car in action?
Old 03-01-2005, 07:34 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

you CAN fit a 225 tire but wouldn't be optimal without wider rims
Old 03-02-2005, 05:52 AM
The Supreme Doja Holder

Vid

Originally Posted by pebecl97
Got a vid of the car in action?

Sure do, just let me know what format is best, I use mac so I usually do quicktime. I'll compile all the car stuff and cut it together so it's smaller.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:17 AM
The Supreme Doja Holder

Originally Posted by azian21485
Thanks azian21485! I suspected as much from feeling around the wheel wells. But I went back to Sears the day after my post here and had the OE tire put back on since they insisted they wouldn't mount anything larger than the 205 on the car.

TOTAL IDIOTS! I'll never go there again, I paid $882 to wait 4+ hours, only to take the car on the freeway and almost parish at the wheel. I have no idea how they got the alignment SO off, but the only thing I can liken the experience to is a bad worm gear in a steering box. Totally dangerous, the car was all over the road, plus they got the balance wrong on tires front and rear. I had to avoid the freeway altogether the next day until I could get back to Sears, only to be made to wait another 2+ hours and to be told, "Oh yah, the alignment was WAY off and the balance was WAY off, how did you drive this thing?"

Another BIG beware, make sure the guy using that pneumatic claw that removes the old tires knows what he is doing. The boy wonder at Sears must have misjudged a couple of strokes an in doing so, shaved a bit off the edge off a couple of my rims.

I should have just gotten a konig tire/wheel package from the net. Not a whole lot more than what I spent on just tires, and would have been less hassle. I don't understand how those packages (like the one at http://www.discounttire.com) are so cheap compared to just buying the OE tires for the Acura. Do they just have really cheap tires mounted on them or is it just because you aren't paying retail at some moron stronghold like Sears?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:18 AM
The Supreme Doja Holder

Burnt by Sears

Thanks azian21485! I suspected as much from feeling around the wheel wells. But I went back to Sears the day after my post here and had the OE tire put back on since they insisted they wouldn't mount anything larger than the 205 on the car.

TOTAL IDIOTS! I'll never go there again, I paid $882 to wait 4+ hours, only to take the car on the freeway and almost parish at the wheel. I have no idea how they got the alignment SO off, but the only thing I can liken the experience to is a bad worm gear in a steering box. Totally dangerous, the car was all over the road, plus they got the balance wrong on tires front and rear. I had to avoid the freeway altogether the next day until I could get back to Sears, only to be made to wait another 2+ hours and to be told, "Oh yah, the alignment was WAY off and the balance was WAY off, how did you drive this thing?"

Another BIG beware, make sure the guy using that pneumatic claw that removes the old tires knows what he is doing. The boy wonder at Sears must have misjudged a couple of strokes an in doing so, shaved a bit off the edge off a couple of my rims.

I should have just gotten a konig tire/wheel package from the net. Not a whole lot more than what I spent on just tires, and would have been less hassle. I don't understand how those packages (like the one at http://www.discounttire.com) are so cheap compared to just buying the OE tires for the Acura. Do they just have really cheap tires mounted on them or is it just because you aren't paying retail at some moron stronghold like Sears?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:49 AM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

Originally Posted by dirtbaginateepee
a little bit of both...sears jacks up their prices on tires....especially stock tires since they know people will want to replace their tires with original factory stuff...online dealers is the cheapest way to go imo and since you're replacing tires you might as well upgrade...well most of the wheel/tire packages come with shitty tires.....like nakang or something....but i have seen some rare deals that come with great tires...like azenis sport or khumo mx...but those are one in a million

btw...what did you spend $800+ for? please don't say it was on tires
Old 03-02-2005, 10:01 AM
2.2 auto and coping

what about the tires from WheelsNEXT.com

think they come with good/decent tires...

still dont know 17s or 18s with kyb agx / sportlines
Old 03-02-2005, 10:16 PM
The Supreme Doja Holder

Yah, I'm a dolt alright...

a little bit of both...sears jacks up their prices on tires....especially stock tires since they know people will want to replace their tires with original factory stuff...online dealers is the cheapest way to go imo and since you're replacing tires you might as well upgrade...well most of the wheel/tire packages come with shitty tires.....like nakang or something....but i have seen some rare deals that come with great tires...like azenis sport or khumo mx...but those are one in a million

btw...what did you spend $800+ for? please don't say it was on tires

Yah, just tires, the MXV4Plus Michelins... 150+ per tire plus labor. I know I got ripped off, (Even thought the best price I found on the net for the same tire was like $137) but I am going to complain to corporate big time about all they put me through; see if I can't get something out of the deal. Sears is usually good about making up for their wrongs. I got a $50 dollar gift card from them after my fridge broke last year. Although I did have to lie and tell them I was on the atkins diet and my freezer was full of high dollar steaks that spoiled, before they coughed up the recompense. Perhaps they aren't so altruistic after-all. I know, I know :whocares:

What rims would you suggest? I enjoy the look of the konig, maybe something a bit more conservative would be nice.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:17 PM
The Supreme Doja Holder

Looking now...

Originally Posted by Shaggz2Dope
what about the tires from WheelsNEXT.com

think they come with good/decent tires...

still dont know 17s or 18s with kyb agx / sportlines

Thanks for the link! I'm going to go take a look...
Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

Originally Posted by dirtbaginateepee
Yah, just tires, the MXV4Plus Michelins... 150+ per tire plus labor. I know I got ripped off, (Even thought the best price I found on the net for the same tire was like $137) but I am going to complain to corporate big time about all they put me through; see if I can't get something out of the deal. Sears is usually good about making up for their wrongs. I got a $50 dollar gift card from them after my fridge broke last year. Although I did have to lie and tell them I was on the atkins diet and my freezer was full of high dollar steaks that spoiled, before they coughed up the recompense. Perhaps they aren't so altruistic after-all. I know, I know :whocares:

What rims would you suggest? I enjoy the look of the konig, maybe something a bit more conservative would be nice.
ouch just looked on tire rack and those tires are damn expensive...i guess that's michelin for you

can't really help you out on rim choices...i'm the guy who buys the cheapest and widest rim that'll do the job =)

but konig holes are pretty nice imo...dunno what style you're looking for though...goodluck
Old 03-06-2005, 06:12 PM
eh f**k altezzas.

ouch just looked on tire rack and those tires are damn expensive...i guess that's michelin for you

can't really help you out on rim choices...i'm the guy who buys the cheapest and widest rim that'll do the job =)

but konig holes are pretty nice imo...dunno what style you're looking for though...goodluck
i kinda like the konig reasons or trouble. that would be my first choices in konigs. i also like 5zigen fighter rims. im actually thinkin of gettin one of those 3 cant decide tho so im still rollin stockers.