air ride suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:28 PM
SANJOCL

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
air ride suspension

i know there was one guy that had air bag suspension on here but im not sure if he goes on here regularly and i dont know anyone else that has it on this site.

my question is. do you guys see and cons in getting air ride suspension? other than the fact that lots of folks think its tacky (or any other non constructive opinions). ive been asking around and ive been getting mixed opinions like the ride is too bouncy, or the ride is too stiff. problems with axel after a long period of use, etc. i mean your gonna get stuff like this with any type of suspension i suppose.

i guess my reason for getting air suspension is really because i like the look of being REAL REAL low when the car is parked. but i also like the fact that you can lift up when going over speed bumps or anything of that sort.

here is the kit that i want

http://www.airbagit.com/product_info...oducts_id=3273

if you guys cant click on the link, heres the kit number
FBS-ACU-04-KIT3
(i just entered my car info on the left side of the page)

as you can see, the price isnt too friendly. hahaha. but this would be my very last BIG mod to my car. the rest would be just small stuff. i wanted to end my mod days with something fun. after this im garaging my car and getting a bike (you guys hear about the raise in price of barrels? )..
Old 05-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i think airrunner has a kit for our cars. You can also hit up universal air suspension (UAS) and ask if they make bags that fit over your struts. A lot of the VIP guys either piece together their kit using UAS or go airrunner. Airrunner uses koni shocks IIRC.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
SANJOCL

ah nice. lol i just called superbuytires who sells airrunner and they quoted me 3500 for the complete kit. but i guess you cant skimp on stuff like this.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

yup, expect to pay around that price. then theres installation, which will run you another 1k.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM
SANJOCL

klepto what are the bad things about having just cylinders instead of bags and cylinders.?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
well...there's a lot of myth about airride suspensions being foolproof, but take a gander through any showcar forum or the vsc forums, for that matter, and you'll see that no matter what kit you get, you still run the risk of having one or more of your bags 'popping' or 'failing' on you in the middle of the road. What would that mean? Well, picture (on a regular suspension) your strut snapping in half while you're driving.

Yeah...you can pretty much envision what ensues....

So while air is awesome for the ease of adjustability 'on the go' and from the aesthetics perspective, you gotta ask yourself if you're willing to take that risk. Lot of the airride guys I've talked to (airrunner guys) say that it's probably not practical for a daily driven car, but rather for a weekend or showcar.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Germ
klepto what are the bad things about having just cylinders instead of bags and cylinders.?
arent cylinders canovers? I'm not familiar with those. I don't think you should be asking me though, you should be giving UAS or airrunner a call
Old 05-07-2008, 05:01 PM
SANJOCL

i emailed uas a month ago and left 4 messages during business hours on 4 different days. nothing..

airrunner sales guys are pretty rude. no useful information at all. is it just me or are a lot of car part companies employ assholes. like this isnt the first time ive gotten service like this but oh well.

yo lyricist i know what your saying. and plus its a lot of money to be spending. about 4500 for everything? thats pretty scary. maybe i should just go with coil-overs but i dunno.. i was pretty set on the air suspension. im hoping someone on this forum has it that comes on regularly
Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

head on over to v-i-pstylecars dot com (minus the "-", freaking board edited it out), go into the wheels and suspension forums, theres TONS on info on there, vendors that have exp with the parts as well as a UAS contact that frequents the boards.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 PM
SANJOCL

sweet. thank you very much...

oh and sorry i just realized i shoulda put this in the suspension area. my bad..
Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
If you're debating between coilovers or airbags cuz of the cost, get coilovers and call it a day. Invest in some quality like tein ss-p or something. Bags will be 3-4 grand easy if you're not sure you wanna spend it I wouldn't
Old 05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Moderator

sweet. thank you very much...

oh and sorry i just realized i shoulda put this in the suspension area. my bad..
moved. and I agree with chris ^
Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it just me or are a lot of car part companies employ assholes. like this isnt the first time ive gotten service like this but oh well.
It seems to me that if I speak like I'm educated, am polite, or don't speak/dress like I'm from the boonies or the hood, I get no respect from shops.
Probably just a local thing because of the surrounding areas... or more likely because I'm broke and thus go to the shit shops

And I agree, coilovers are more practical and are going to be a lot easier on the pockets.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
SANJOCL

yeah that sounds good. i could spend that 3 or 4 grand on a bike. hahah.

the only thing that im worried about is trying to get over stuff. but then i guess if one would even think about going real low one has to expect stuff like that right? i just figured with air suspension youd have the choice. cost isnt something i usually trip off of. i mean everyone likes deals right?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 AM
SANJOCL

OMG klepto i signed up for cars and i felt like a small fish in a big pond. they actually have standards as to which car can be VIP? crazy. but some of the cars look sweet and way too expensive.

anyway i did find some good advice though through just kinda searching through all the forums.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:38 PM
W WHIP.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from that vip site:
VIP style revolves around a select number of car platforms. Thats the way it is, theres no changing it. You can drop your I30 infiniti, Acura CL, or E39 5 series and put work wheels on it but its still not VIP, ever. A non-VIP platform car will NEVER be VIP and thats the bottom line. Even with the mods you do its probably still not even VIP styled. We aren't trying to be dicks, its the tuning style. So here's something to consider..
they definitely just called us out.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:38 PM
W WHIP.

i mean its true to a degree..but still...
Old 05-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator

OMG klepto i signed up for cars and i felt like a small fish in a big pond. they actually have standards as to which car can be VIP? crazy. but some of the cars look sweet and way too expensive.

anyway i did find some good advice though through just kinda searching through all the forums.
Originally Posted by ZeroCL
i mean its true to a degree..but still...
it's how it is, you guys have no idea how many times some guy will come on with a non VIP platform and ask if his car is "VIP" They get super bashed.

they are hardcore, theres a lot of good info in the VIP 101 section on that forum

"VIP car starts with just that, the platform or the car. Its not a VIP Car unless it starts with one of these cars. From Toyota, you have the Century, Celsior, Aristo, Crown, and Majesta. From Nissan you have the President, Cima, Gloria, Cedric, and the Q45.

"Exceptions, i guess.* w/. Vip "STYLE"
a K-Car or Style Wagon.
another quote from Takahiro Taketomi, "founder" of VIP and VIP styling.
According to Taketomi, true VIP style tuning is limited to only 10 Nissan and Toyota models: Nissan President, Cima, Gloria, Cedric and Fuga; Toyota Celsior, Century, Aristo, Crown and Majesta. That’s it.
for the US, thats the lexus LS, GS and infiniti Q and M classes. everything else, no matter what is still only going to vip STYLE, not VIP. It's like no matter what we do our cars can never be euro/DTM, and they can never be JDM.

The views for what is VIP here in the US is extremely skewed, with the HIN shows having awards for "best VIP coupe" and giving it out to cars like a bmw m3 just messes up the definition and infuriates the true VIP people because a VIP car also MUST be a 4 door
Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 PM
SANJOCL

you know im reading stuff on this site and im thinking to myself these people are crazy. hahhaha. i mean the cars are really nice but man.

im super intimidated by that board. hahah ill just go on there for the tips and tricks
Old 05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
just chiming in bags ride a lot softer then cylinders
Old 05-08-2008, 02:03 PM
SANJOCL

Originally Posted by DFoster0
just chiming in bags ride a lot softer then cylinders

with cylinders, is it a really hard ride?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of my friends run wit this VIP crew here in Hawaii. Check the link & maybe it can help you out a bit. http://www.executivekonnexion.com/
Old 05-08-2008, 04:25 PM
W WHIP.

Originally Posted by klepto
it's how it is, you guys have no idea how many times some guy will come on with a non VIP platform and ask if his car is "VIP" They get super bashed.

they are hardcore, theres a lot of good info in the VIP 101 section on that forum

another quote from Takahiro Taketomi, "founder" of VIP and VIP styling.

for the US, thats the lexus LS, GS and infiniti Q and M classes. everything else, no matter what is still only going to vip STYLE, not VIP. It's like no matter what we do our cars can never be euro/DTM, and they can never be JDM.

The views for what is VIP here in the US is extremely skewed, with the HIN shows having awards for "best VIP coupe" and giving it out to cars like a bmw m3 just messes up the definition and infuriates the true VIP people because a VIP car also MUST be a 4 door
I was reading up on that VIP 101. It definitely had a lot of good info. And I mean, i dont blame them for getting pissed having all kinds of random people thinking their cars are one thing and theyre not. I think i even saw a 240 as a 'vip' car and it just looked disturbing. I guess I can understand where they're coming from. i'm actually looking at getting a early 2000 lexus gs or ls. maybe ill decide to go the VIP[pronounced like WHIP] route. <--i found that out. haha. but yeah, definitely some nice cars on their.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
with cylinders, is it a really hard ride?
it should be pretty rough, bags give you flex which is why they ride better