Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010 | 10:47 PM
Acura's All Day

Please Help!!

Okay so I just had my timing belt's done, waterpump etc, as well as a full tune up, I had a check engine light on that was saying it was the egr valve, so the mechanic cleaned the throttle body throughout and cleaned the ports "which my mother had to have shaved shortly after buying the car new, I also had all the motor mounts/tranny mount replaced ball joints replaced! My grandmother brings me the car at work, and I get in it and notice its idling around 1500 'not normal' I cutt it off and the vehicle shakes, I cutt it back on, and it shakes then! Call the mechanic, and he said ok bring it back in, so I get it back today, he assures me its fine now, some dirt fell back into the ports clogging it, but he got it! Grandmother delivers car to me, and its still doing it, and it also flutters "shakes" while im driving, and idles really high on its own! So I contacted mechanic once more, now he tells me its the computer learning everything again, drive it a few days, itll be fine! I contact Flow Acura and ask if they had ever heard of a vehicle doing this after having these operations done, as expected they say no! So, any ideas anyone? Because I refuse to drive it this way!! And cant take it back until Monday, I miss driving my baby! Shes got 203,000 on her but Im the second owner "moms first" I know the cars history and this is not normal! I have had it however in the past to idle low at start and shut off but I crank it back and it be fine! But thats been forever ago! Never have I experienced this BS! Not only did the mechanic do this, but my fender is scratched to hell, and I keep my car spotless!
Old 05-14-2010 | 11:05 PM
V-DUB TECH

Originally Posted by BadassAcuraCl
Okay so I just had my timing belt's done, waterpump etc, as well as a full tune up, I had a check engine light on that was saying it was the egr valve, so the mechanic cleaned the throttle body throughout and cleaned the ports "which my mother had to have shaved shortly after buying the car new, I also had all the motor mounts/tranny mount replaced ball joints replaced! My grandmother brings me the car at work, and I get in it and notice its idling around 1500 'not normal' I cutt it off and the vehicle shakes, I cutt it back on, and it shakes then! Call the mechanic, and he said ok bring it back in, so I get it back today, he assures me its fine now, some dirt fell back into the ports clogging it, but he got it! Grandmother delivers car to me, and its still doing it, and it also flutters "shakes" while im driving, and idles really high on its own! So I contacted mechanic once more, now he tells me its the computer learning everything again, drive it a few days, itll be fine! I contact Flow Acura and ask if they had ever heard of a vehicle doing this after having these operations done, as expected they say no! So, any ideas anyone? Because I refuse to drive it this way!! And cant take it back until Monday, I miss driving my baby! Shes got 203,000 on her but Im the second owner "moms first" I know the cars history and this is not normal! I have had it however in the past to idle low at start and shut off but I crank it back and it be fine! But thats been forever ago! Never have I experienced this BS! Not only did the mechanic do this, but my fender is scratched to hell, and I keep my car spotless!
just goes to prove that old saying. " If you want something done right, do it yourself."

Because when you fuck it up, you only have yourself to blame.

Anyway, no this is not normal. I say drop the car off and refuse to pick it up until "you" go and inspect the work. That way you can see for yourself if it's fixed and your poor grandma won't have to drive all over the place.

I fix cars for a living. It's normal for people who spend good money to be satisfied with the work.

Last edited by crx_91si; 05-14-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2010 | 11:08 PM
V-DUB TECH

anyway, high idle usually indicates an air leak. Check your manifold gaskets and vacuum hosed

good luck

mike
Old 05-15-2010 | 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crx_91si
anyway, high idle usually indicates an air leak. Check your manifold gaskets and vacuum hosed

good luck

mike
That's what I was going to say also, it may have some sort of vacuum leak somewhere causing it to idle high
Old 05-17-2010 | 07:29 PM
Acura's All Day

okay, another question, I went today and picked up the car myself and btw this has caused me 1800.00 Flow dealership wanted around 2500.00, in which, yay it started easy, normal, no shaking or anything! I drove it for awhile, and in between 30mph-50mph keeping it steady anywhere in between those speeds it's almost as if it is missing terrible, best described as if the car is trying to surge forward every second or so! So I took it back AGAIN! He drove it acknowledged the problem, and says thats because you EGR valve is actually working now allow it a week or so to work itself out, if not bring it back"! My egr valve went out shortly before having all this work performed but I ahve never heard of a egr valve causing anything like that! Again the vehicle Idles fine accelerate's fine its just at steady speeds you feel that jolt, any ideas? Im taking it back tomorow as I feel driving it like that will only cause more problems on a high mileage car! Thanks
Old 05-19-2010 | 01:46 AM
Advanced

So what did they say was the cause of it idling high?
Old 05-19-2010 | 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

my EGR valve was completely stopped up (which is probably what happened to yours when you say it stopped working) and mine didn't do this when it was stopped up or not even after I cleaned it out to where the CEL was not on any longer so i don't think the EGR would cause this. I may be wrong but I know with my 97 with a 3.0 it didn't do that when the "EGR started working again"