NGK Iridium Spark Plugs VS Platinum Plugs

Old 06-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs VS Platinum Plugs

Hi

I have 99 Acura Cl v6, 98xxx on it

Right now I have NGK Iridium IX spark plugs in my car with NGK Wires

I was talking to my repair guy about Spark Plugs & he said that if I change back to PLATINUM Plugs I can improve my MPG by 2 -3 miles ( right now I am using only CHEVRON regular gas. & I get about 17-18 MPG)

he told me IRIDIUM Sparks gives out bigger spark & hence it use more GAS, by going back to Platinum it gives small Spark & uses less gas ( NGK Platinum is OEM for Acura CL. NGK # PZFR5F-11, Acura Part # 4363)

What you guys think about his theory? Is he correct about it?
Should I go back to NGK PLATINUM to improve my Gas Mileage?

Thanks guys
Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
I dunno about the difference in gas mileage, but I get great gas mileage with my NGK Iridium, but i think they do put out a bigger spark. Try it why not
Old 06-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They shouldn't reduce the gas millage. A bigger, hotter spark will burn more of the fuel in the combustion chamber. The amount of fuel injected into the combustion chamber is not related to the size of the spark. By that I mean, no matter what size the spark is the same amount of fuel will be introduced into the combustion chamber. It seems logical to me that a bigger, hotter spark would burn more of the fuel and therefore make your engine more efficient and increase your gas millage.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tron
They shouldn't reduce the gas millage. A bigger, hotter spark will burn more of the fuel in the combustion chamber. The amount of fuel injected into the combustion chamber is not related to the size of the spark. By that I mean, no matter what size the spark is the same amount of fuel will be introduced into the combustion chamber. It seems logical to me that a bigger, hotter spark would burn more of the fuel and therefore make your engine more efficient and increase your gas millage.

what you say make sense

i guess i will not change Plugs

thanks
Old 06-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i agree with tron. also, the magazine "DSport" just did an article on the differences of the various spark plug materials and which are best for certain applications, etc. you might want to look it up there, as i didn't read the article with too much interest, as they also did a clutch buyers guide in the same magazine. hopefully that helps, but i would stay with the iridiums.