View Poll Results: Would You Benefit From A "How To / DIY " Sticky Thread?
YES
100.00%
NO
0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

"How To" - "DIY" Sticky Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 03:40 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow "How To" - "DIY" Sticky Thread...

Hey Everyone, I am posting this to get everyones opinion to my idea. Please read below and tell me what you think.

The situation is:

Recently I've been doing more and more installs myself and have run across problem after problem. I came up with the idea for a DIY "how to" sticky where members could go to find all the information they need to any type of mod for the first gen. I think something like this would totaly benifit every member and save everyone time trying to search over and over again for the info they need. (just think: all the info / DIY writeups for almost every mod would be organised and easy to read and understand, just at the click of a button....no more searching.
I've contacted via PM, Soopa, CLpower, and Ted offering them my services as to a "sticky" where I would help them by being incharge of this sticky and post all of the info (with the help of other members helping me with writeups and such)
The problem is, I haven't heard back from any of the MODS, and its been almost 2 weeks.

My Question To You All Is:
Would you benifit as members, if we were to have a sticky focused on ONLY "how to / DIY" information and write-ups for the first gen.
(and I say sticky, that way, all it is, is one thread full of organized info...not random posts to bog down everything.)

Here is the PM's I sent to CLPower and Soopa....(maybe they will see this and hopefully respond back to me)
Also, just to give you more of an idea on what im talking about...

Hey CLpower,

If we were to have a "sticky" on the 1st gen forum of "How To / DIY" I think it would help out so many members. (and I’m not just talking about newbie’s) What I offered to Ted and Soopa is my services of operating and controlling that sticky. (and I say sticky so therefore it doesn’t get bogged down with members posts)
Just think of a "How To / DIY" sticky where members could go. Everything would be alphabetized with info including what types of mods you can do, where to get the parts, how to install, (DIY) and all the information you'll need beforehand.
Think of it as a organized place any 1st gen member could go to at the click of a button to find all the mod info and install info they need, quick and easy. No more searching for old posts or write-ups, everything would be plain and clear and organized.
I don’t know what being a Moderator really entails, but all I'd really want is to be in charge of that sticky. I would post everything with the help of other members giving me their info, picts, and already written write-ups. I'd really like to help out the 1st gen members and get information organized. Anything from "how to install clear corner bumper lights" to "tranny cooler" "header install" etc.

Tell me what you honestly think. I'd just like to help out and offer my services and time if I can.

Hey Soopa,

I got the idea that we need an official "How To / Do It Yourself" sticky for the 1st gen discussion. I figure that if we had our own DIY / how to sticky in the first gen section, it would help so many members out. Close it off, just like a regular sticky where only a Moderator could post, but have information about all the types of mods and how to's and DIY write-ups and everything someone would need to know before buying a mod or installing it. I think it would especially help out the newbie’s needing to know the little stuff (like how to install bumper lights) or the older members like me, needing to know all the information about headers (like the fact they have to be bent and there’s a difference between the front and back)

I've already passed this idea onto Ted (the 1st gen moderator) but figured you the admin. and to go straight to the source.

I personally think the idea of this sticky would help out a ton of members and I know someone such as Ted or the other moderators might not have the time to collect and organize all the write-ups from other members, so I am offering my services to you. I'd personally head up the "how to / DIY" sticky for the 1st gen forum, where I would have members give me their previous write ups, I'd write some also, and organize them in a way that all the information was easy to understand and easy to access. I'd include how to's and DIY for all the mods, where to get the mods, and all the information necessary to help out the members of A-CL. I just want to help out the members of A-CL.

Get back to me about this matter when you can.
Thanks Soopa! ~CJ

Soo, what do you all think? Would you benefit from having a sticky pertained only to "How To / DIY" ???

Old 07-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
that would def be helpful, i already started up a small DIY page on my site, but ran out of webspace

home.comcast.net/~daklepto/diy.htm
Old 07-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Yea i knowticed that Klepto. I actually printed off your blackout instructions so i know what the hell i doing this weekend when i attempt that install.

(thanks for posting DIY on your site, i know people have gotten help from you because you've posted DIY instructions on your site
Old 07-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL
Yea i knowticed that Klepto. I actually printed off your blackout instructions so i know what the hell i doing this weekend when i attempt that install.

(thanks for posting DIY on your site, i know people have gotten help from you because you've posted DIY instructions on your site
np, i just wish comcast would give me more space so I could post up more stuff. Maybe if we get these sticked, I can just throw it up in a thread, have it locked and thats that
Old 07-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think that it would definitely benefit everybody
Old 07-01-2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by KLepTo
np, i just wish comcast would give me more space so I could post up more stuff. Maybe if we get these sticked, I can just throw it up in a thread, have it locked and thats that
Thats exactly what I was thinking. I wanted / offered to head up and be incharge of this sticky. (maybe you can I could be incharge together??) Basically I thought I could help by organizing all the info, typing up writeups etc. I know I'd need help by the rest of the members (like yourself) who could just give me their already written DIY writeups so I could just post them in the sticky.

And yes, i think it needs to be a sticky so all it will be is information in alphabetical (sp?) order....that way we dont have to worry about members posting in that sticky, thus bogging down and de-organizing the info.

Maybe we could have a How To: DIY sticky, and then have a thread seperate from the sticky where members could post there (like the problems/fix it thread, where they could go to the sticky, find the info, and then if they still have problems, post in the other thread. (just like the "problems thread")

Think of it...if we had this sticky, it would totaly eliminate (sp?) all the need for people spending countless time searching for things that they could find in 2 sec. at the click of a button....
Old 07-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Klepto, I just ordered my rackmount server for colocation, as I mentioned on here before, as soon as that goes up, we can put a redirect on your site, and I will host your site on my server. I am also hosting joe's 130 MB retrofit pics.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Banned

yeah for sure.. ill put a DIY for the grille and HID intallation, haha... and debadging -_-;;;

maybe joe can put up his projector retro DIY as well
Old 07-01-2005, 06:35 PM

You think with enough members wanting a How To / DIY sticky, we could get the MODS to help us out and jump on this??
Like I said, I dont mind helping out and keeping control of the sticky (im on here like 3 hrs a day anyway)
But I guess we just have to wait for the MODS to help us out and take action??
Old 07-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Klepto, I just ordered my rackmount server for colocation, as I mentioned on here before, as soon as that goes up, we can put a redirect on your site, and I will host your site on my server. I am also hosting joe's 130 MB retrofit pics.
let me know the details, and what we can work out
Old 07-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL
You think with enough members wanting a How To / DIY sticky, we could get the MODS to help us out and jump on this??
Like I said, I dont mind helping out and keeping control of the sticky (im on here like 3 hrs a day anyway)
But I guess we just have to wait for the MODS to help us out and take action??
maybe, us lowly 1st gens always seem to get overlooked
Old 07-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Saucin

i vote we just have a klepto DIY page and if anyone else has something to add, go through him
Old 07-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by bkmc24
i vote we just have a klepto DIY page and if anyone else has something to add, go through him
that's more along the lines of what I was thinking. The how to is good for how to questions, and specific diy's. Once I get klep's page on my site, we'll have more than enough room for diy's, plus i'm putting up joe's projector retrofit diy shortly.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear

I'm a newbie and it would help a lot
Old 07-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bkmc24
thats fine with me, most of the DIY's on my site are from other people anyways and of course I always give them credit. What I do is I just edit the write up a bit and put the pics in, nothing major
Old 07-02-2005, 10:16 PM

thats fine with me, most of the DIY's on my site are from other people anyways and of course I always give them credit. What I do is I just edit the write up a bit and put the pics in, nothing major

Yea thats exactly what I was plannin on doin. Gettin members help with sending in their write ups and then i'd edit them and stuff. Well denpending on what happens, If its on Kleptos site, thats fine, but I think there still needs to be a sticky or something thats on the boards thatss linked to the DIY site, just showing where the info is. That way everyone knows where the info is located.
I also think we should have some text telling about the mod. Ex. Instead of just haveing a writeup on how to install headers...There should be text explaining what brands will fit w/ what accord yr, tell them that ones the front, one head thes back, that you have to bend it.....etc.

(just some common knowledge we might know but others/newbies might now...ya know?

I personally think a sticky here would be more accessable and helpful, but kleptos page is fine. I mean if the mods let us have one, why not just keep it as a sticky here where all the info, picts is....the same webpage...
Old 07-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
contact me and we'll do what needs to be done.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Saucin

that is one fucked up avatar astro.....lol
Old 07-03-2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Astroboy
contact me and we'll do what needs to be done.
PM Sent Astro...Thanks For Helpin Us Out!!
Old 07-03-2005, 02:55 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
You guys want a DIY for fuel injectors on the 3.0's? That was a really easy project when I installed mine.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:14 PM

Yea that'd be great! Thanks Cocoa. Hopefully once everything gets organized and started, we'll need other helpfully members to help us out and give us their old DIY so we can combine everyones into one large DIY sticky...So yes, your write up would be very helpful. Thanks! (You can PM it to me or Email it to me if you want)
Old 07-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
i've got a few diy jobs that some may come across at one point or the another ( such as the ever going pain in my ass d/s power window motor/regulator on the 3.0 ), let me know if you want the info, it's a bastard, but i know a lot of people w/ 1st gens with that window motor screwing up one way or another
Old 07-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saiko_cl_duck
i've got a few diy jobs that some may come across at one point or the another ( such as the ever going pain in my ass d/s power window motor/regulator on the 3.0 ), let me know if you want the info, it's a bastard, but i know a lot of people w/ 1st gens with that window motor screwing up one way or another
That would be great mine is going right now..I have to order one this week..
Old 07-05-2005, 01:50 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i say do it! a how to section will help a lot of people find things
Old 07-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

ok well so far I have a write ups of the following:

clear corners
black housings
lowering
intake
throttle body
9006-9005 conversion
rear washer camber trick
remove/replacing wood trim
4th gen prelude shifter swap
m3 mirrors

these are all up on my site right now, some with pics, some not. I'd do more (like adding some audio, but like I said I ran out of room)
Old 07-05-2005, 04:13 PM

Ive been swapping PM's with Astro, and this is where we left off.

how about make a thread for each topic and we'll put them and stick them in both parts and performance and problems and fixes?
Well, the only problem I see with that, is that it would just create a ton of threads & stickys (one per topic)
My vision was something along these lines:

First Generation CL Discussion forum > Problems & Fixes forum> (sticky) “How To, DIY Guide”

(from there, it would just be 1 sticky where only the information could be posted, and no members would post anything) My idea was to have all of the information located on one sticky, alphabetized, which would take up as many pages as needed. Ex. If a member was looking for info/DIY on Headers, he might start on page 3, looking for the info starting with “H” and once he finds headers, there would be a write-up for the 3.0 V6 and a separate one for the 2.x’s. If a member had a question, then he would ask that question in the “Problems & Fixes” forum, either creating his own thread or in the “got a problem” thread. (this way, members posts stay separate from the DIY info, thus keeping all the info easy accessible and organized. (Here is an example below…)

Blackout Headlights (universial for 2.x & 3.0)
(list all the info / DIY and include pictures)

Clear Corners (universial for 2.x & 3.0)
(list all the info / DIY and include pictures)

Intake
2.x CAI & Short Ram Intake Info/DIY/Picts
3.0 CAI & Short Ram Intake Info/DIY/Picts

Hopefully you somewhat understand what I’m trying to explain. This is why I thought (if possible) Klepto and myself should become a “mini moderator” or whatever would need to be done to give himself and I access to be able to change the information in the sticky. That way, as more information and write ups came along, Klepto and I would have the access to be able to get into the sticky, edit & add more info/write ups…etc. Klepto and I both have taken an interest in this “project” and because it would be easier to have 2 members run/in charge of this “DIY Sticky.” (also for the fact that he was a 2.x and I have a 3.0 so we would have knowledge on both. I could take care of the 3.0 write ups and info, and visa versa for him with the 2.x info.

Astro: That is my vision/idea. You’re the Admin so you have the final say in what happens. I just believe that if Klepto and I were granted permission/access to be incharge and run/edit this sticky, all the info stays in one sticky in one place organizes and alphabetized, thus the easiest way for 1st gen members to find the modification info they need.

Please get back to me on your thoughts.
Thanks! -CJ
Old 07-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I think that an entire forum for DIY isn't very effective. What we need is a larger version of klepto's guides. People need to write up what they know, and then we put it all together. The how to could be more for questions about diy or specific questions like how do i take out this piece, etc. I don't think that the forum would be very good, because it'd be reposts worse than we have now. People reposting how do i do this? when there's already diy's for it. I am working on setting up a colocated server with a LOT of hard drive space, and plan to move Klepto's site there, since he is out of space. I think a centralized site like that, with pics and step by steps is a lot more beneficial. Plus I like how it's broken down by category. Then, once it's expanded, we could use the how to, to monitor what we need to make diy's for, by what questions people ask in here. My
Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
If you would like to put together some DIY articles, do it and forward them to me.

I will then put a link to it in a sticky thread.

Almost ALLLLLLLL of these topics have already been done, all it takes is to find the links. If you want to find them, forward them to me and I'll put a thread together.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:01 PM

this is what Astro thinks will be the best thing to do...So I guess we will do it this way..

I can set the forum up, so that other members can't post in it. by hiding it, I meant we can get things set up the way you and Klepto want while the public can't see the forum. then, once you have things organized, we can lock your DIY threads etc, and close the forum to new posts unless it's someone adding a new DIY thread to it.

That way, all your valuable info and work can be centralized, easily searched and kept well organized

the idea of one thread reminds me a lot of what Rets did in 3g TL with his garage thread....While the idea is great, having 1 endless thread for all the DIY's isn't very user friendly, it's hard to glance or seach and find what you want quickly...whereas with a seperate forum, that is all solved.

cheers,

robb
Old 07-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

i think its better if you make a new thread and lock it for each DIY, its too hectic if its all in ONE thread
Old 07-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

acura3.0, i PMed you back
Old 07-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
That would be great mine is going right now..I have to order one this week..

it's not too bad, its just a lot of b.s. to get it in there......if you're careful, the plastic comes right off with a little tugging, and taking the window out is just a couple of bolts, but i suggest having someone hold the window while you do it, it sucks getting your hand caught in the door frame
Old 07-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Revelation 3:15-17

I give this idea a FAT
Old 07-06-2005, 02:46 PM

We need everyones help. If anyone has any DIY write ups or pictures, please check out this thread. Any help/info you could give us would be great!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171796
Old 08-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

mos def. it helps DIYfers info. so that they dunt have spend tons of money and time. it makes life good lol