Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007 | 04:21 PM
we are monsters

Unhappy Help Please

I bought my 1998 Acura CL 3.0 (automatic) less than a month ago and joined this forum right after I bought it to get inside information and help on the car.

I learned about our transmission being a big issue and well it explained why the car was lurching forward from 1st gear too 2nd gear. So I know I have the issue with this car and the transmission . I read everything I could find on it and I went back to the dealer today to make my first payment on the car and before I handed them the money I told them about the transmission lurching forward, and the known issue.

I took the 'head' mechanic for a drive in my car for about 2 miles and while he was in the car it lurched forward and shifted hard, reaching 4000 rpm before shifting from 1st into 2nd gear.

We got back to the dealership and he was pretty quiet. He asked me to pop the hood so he could check the transmission oil. He looked at it a few times and said "there's too much transmission oil." he said that's the cause. I looked at him like he was crazy. They put the oil in the car right before I bought it... Well they asked me to bring it back tomorrow morning so they can drain some of the oil out. This is a decent dealership thats not some shady operation so I'm not sure what to expect from them.

Should I keep pushing the idea of them fixing the transmission. I sure as hell don't want to pay for a new transmission since it will keep getting worse until it dies when I haven't even had the car for a month yet.

Does anyone know where I can find hard documentation on the issue with the 3.0 automatic transmissions?

What should I do?
Old 07-05-2007 | 04:28 PM
666 Speed

Acura has been having trouble with their auto V6 tranny's from i think 97 if not earlier to 03.. They had a recall/extended warranty on the tranny's for the 01- certain 03's.

I'd just take in the horror stories off this site and show them. Thats how I got a few things done with my first gen CL for free when I still had it
Old 07-05-2007 | 06:06 PM
Burning Brakes

thats the thing with an automatc fluid and all, if you ovefill a manual... well you cant, because it just starts coming out of the hole youre filling it through........... with an AT, you can over fill it since youre filling it through the dipstick hole, and if its got too much it can harm your seals and what not, start leaking and all that wonderful stuff, but I dunno if it can be tied in with hard shifting
Old 07-06-2007 | 08:54 AM
we are monsters

Originally Posted by artbran
Acura has been having trouble with their auto V6 tranny's from i think 97 if not earlier to 03.. They had a recall/extended warranty on the tranny's for the 01- certain 03's.

I'd just take in the horror stories off this site and show them. Thats how I got a few things done with my first gen CL for free when I still had it
Thanks I'll try to hunt some down.
Old 07-06-2007 | 08:55 AM
we are monsters

Originally Posted by G22_Powered_YA1
thats the thing with an automatc fluid and all, if you ovefill a manual... well you cant, because it just starts coming out of the hole youre filling it through........... with an AT, you can over fill it since youre filling it through the dipstick hole, and if its got too much it can harm your seals and what not, start leaking and all that wonderful stuff, but I dunno if it can be tied in with hard shifting
I honestly think they're just trying to bs me so they don't have to fix it.