Emissions Test Rejection! Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Emissions Test Rejection! Help Please!

Alright, I am getting pissed off...this is a little rant...I have a lane dedicated to me at the emissions test center since I've been there so much now. Here's the story....

I had failed emissions prior because of the whole EGR valve issue. I was getting codes for the insuficient airflow. Took my car to the Acura dealership, since I was over the mileage for the repair work, they did me a great favor and charged me $390 for just labor to correct this MANUFACTURING defect....well...

Then, the check engine light was burned out, and funny how the Master tech at Acura didn't know which bulb to replace, but was willing to CHARGE me to do it. I finally did it myself for about $3 and 1/2 hour of my time. I have to give credit to the person who did the DIY for taking the guage cluster out. Saved me some $$$ there.

Now, since the Acura dealership did not "reset" the OBDII computer, and taking it there they want $125 just to "look at it" and tell me what I already know. I just went ahead and disconnected the battery and cleared the codes....I guess you would call that "manually"?!

Well, now when I take it to the emissions testing facility (I'm in Arizona), the computer keeps giving me a notice of "rejection" because the OBDII computer is not ready.

I have taken it back to Acura to see if they would help....of course their help for ANYTHING comes with $125 price tag....so I passed and took it to Autozone. The guy hooked up the OBDII device to my car and it passed the tests and says there are no codes being displayed.

Acura told me the drive cycle for my car is letting it cool down to a "cold start" then starting it and driving it and turning it off. I had also heard the drive cycle is 5 miles at a constant 55 mph. I have done both. I have almost used an entire tank of gas and I am still getting rejection notice at the Emissions center.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the OBDII to diagnos any type of trouble codes? Should I "manually" reset my OBDII computer again by disconnecting it? Anyone know what the emissions testing computer is really "looking" for when they hook it up so I can just meet that requirement to pass emissions? I really need to get my car registered since my plates actually expired from the previous state I was in. Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light on my challenge I am experiencing.

Sorry this post is so long...just had to get the 4-1-1 on what was happening and venting a little of my frustration. Anyone else had a situation like this??! Thanks guys!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

so there are no hard codes? hmmmm...besides changin out the ecu.. i dont know.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:17 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
had the same problem it was easier to buy a sticker did you replace a batt or alternator?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:32 PM
Advanced

Unhappy

Originally Posted by subbuzz
had the same problem it was easier to buy a sticker did you replace a batt or alternator?
No, I just disconnected the battery while I took my dash apart so it reset the codes automatically. I was thinking that I would try a whole tank of gas before going back to the Emissions testing again. Maybe there isn't enough data to reset the ECU? Or maybe it's like Windows? You have to reboot it a couple of times to fix the problem? I may just "manually" reset the OBDII again and drive it to see if that will work.

I have taken it and had it hooked up to an OBDII code reader and it works fine. There are no codes stored in the memory. I wonder if there is a "drive cycle" that the Arizona Emissions computer is looking for that I have to over come so that it will work? I bet the computer sees that the codes have been cleared or the ECU has been reset and now it will take a specific amount of time for me to drive the car until that "threshold" is reached. That is the only thing that I can think of that makes sense. I know the ECU is working fine and there is NO problems with my car.

Is there anyone here that knows what the Emissions computer actually checks for so you pass the OBDII test? Like is it looking for cetain time frames? It just makes no sense. I'm sure I'm not the only person that this has happened?!

The only thing I have done is disconnect the battery for 20-30 secs. Fun! Well, if anyone can help in any area that would really Kick ass....but if I find anymore out I will post and let you guys know! Thanks for the responses......
Old 11-03-2005, 03:45 AM
07 tl-s in

thats what a mech told me drive it to reset cuz i replaced batt and alternator then failed emissions the next day (also blue blinkers) so i said f*ck it and bought a sticker so if you disconnected batt maybe needs a reset. My advise is to drive it then try again. good luck.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:52 AM
07 tl-s in

also when you replaced bulb for check engine light its not on right?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,464 Likes on 3,058 Posts
I had this same problem, I reset my ecu like 2 days b4 my emissions inspection and the exhaust sensors hadn't come online. You have to drive at least 100 miles to get them to all come on as "ready" I had to drive it for like 2 days and then take it back, and everything came up as passed.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Talking

Yea! I passed Emissions finally! I guess there was a total amount of miles you had to drive so the sensors would come up and the ECU would reset the OBDII.

Acura was going to charge me $125 to diagnose this for me and then they wanted to replace my catalytic convertor which is $750! I didn't need any of that! Thanks guys for your help!

Old 11-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,464 Likes on 3,058 Posts
Originally Posted by DJBOMBERMAN
Yea! I passed Emissions finally! I guess there was a total amount of miles you had to drive so the sensors would come up and the ECU would reset the OBDII.

Acura was going to charge me $125 to diagnose this for me and then they wanted to replace my catalytic convertor which is $750! I didn't need any of that! Thanks guys for your help!

That's gay, my mechanic told me to just drive another day and come back.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I had this same problem, I reset my ecu like 2 days b4 my emissions inspection and the exhaust sensors hadn't come online. You have to drive at least 100 miles to get them to all come on as "ready" I had to drive it for like 2 days and then take it back, and everything came up as passed.
I just failed emissions today because of my oxygen filter, so my husband and I went to O'Reilly's and bought the part ourself and replaced it. Now, we are working out a deal with a local mechanic to just charge us a fee to reset the computer, instead of having to do the drive cycle. But depending on the drive cycle miles, I may just do that instead. Was 100 miles the exact number, or do you know? I heard it could be 40 starts and 120 miles, but I don't know if that's CL's. Does anyone know?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:16 AM
say: zouts

supposedly 40 starts is what it takes for the ecu to learn what it has to about the car. in any case, 40 starts and 120 miles cant take more than a couple of days to do so why not give it a shot?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Mo7
5th Gear

Does Acura have a bulletin on drive cycles to have sensors in ready mode?