'98 2.3 CL; 116K mi., Muffler Change / Engine Light / + Timing Belt ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 2.3 CL; 116K mi., Muffler Change / Engine Light / + Timing Belt ?s

Hello! Questions for all regarding Muffler Change + Timing Belt Change.

1) Muffler Change: Muffler loud, has hole in it. Must replace it. Anything else to be concerned about here? Independent Mechanic indicated also important to look at pipe connected to muffler, that it may also have a hole and important to check that.

Muffler replacement type? I spoke with AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts; Autozone had one replacement muffler and Advanced Auto Parts had three or four different ones. Does it matter? In another forum, someone suggested: the heavier the muffler the better.

2) Timing Belt. At 116K understanding is I need a new timing belt, need this one to be replaced soon and to make it a priority. Can any independent mechanic do this?

Anything else to be concerned? This is a great car, I love it. Want to get it in better shape and make it over 200k mi. Thanks!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
1) depends what you want... you can get magnaflow muffler welded on

2) timing should be done asap most of the mechanics can do it but i'd recommend local Honda/Acura shop or dealer (sometimes they have good deals but moslty wants to screw you over...

you can get oem parts online for like 30% off and have a mechanic install them

labor should not be more than $300-400
Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
Originally Posted by jmiller
Hello! Questions for all regarding Muffler Change + Timing Belt Change.

1) Muffler Change: Muffler loud, has hole in it. Must replace it. Anything else to be concerned about here? Independent Mechanic indicated also important to look at pipe connected to muffler, that it may also have a hole and important to check that.

Muffler replacement type? I spoke with AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts; Autozone had one replacement muffler and Advanced Auto Parts had three or four different ones. Does it matter? In another forum, someone suggested: the heavier the muffler the better.

2) Timing Belt. At 116K understanding is I need a new timing belt, need this one to be replaced soon and to make it a priority. Can any independent mechanic do this?

Anything else to be concerned? This is a great car, I love it. Want to get it in better shape and make it over 200k mi. Thanks!
1. depends, are you planning to mod the car? as stated before people had replaced the muffler with magnaflows(cheaper than OEM) unless you get one from the junkyard. For me if i were to replace it with an OEM muffer it would be with a 3rd gen TL muffler.

2. As long as the shop is ASE certified any independent mechanic can do that. If you don't know any mechanics you can trust then you can search on the interwebs for reviews on shops.