2.2 cl JDM auto tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.2 cl JDM auto tranny?

Hello

My tranny just went this morning. Funny thing is i noticed slipping from 1st to 2nd and I put in a liquid tranny fix. Bad idea. That stuff made the slipping worse and then it finally blew this morning on the way to work.. Wont find a gear when it needs to change. Got worse the whole way. I can only move it in # 2 gear.

Anyway. is there a JDM tranny for car. The tranny I have is a6va but it seems that this tranny may have never been in japen since the cl was not there. Most jdm places told me they do not have but this one place says they have the tranny for a 2.2 sohc vtec? Im assuming its the accord ex 97 2.2 L tranny. I dont think this is the same. Will it fit?? The person on the phone is saying that they did have a honda CL in japan that had the same tranny. They dont know anything about the tranny codes.

I dont really care what car it is from as long as it fits. Does anyone know if this 97 accord ex 2.2l vtec sohc tranny will fit my car? Any other jdm codes that will fit ( px4b, boya, mpoa, mp1a )

Thanks for the help
Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Intermediate

Any H or F series tranny will bolt up, but electronics is another story. I'm not sure what is interchangeable as far as electronics go.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:29 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the info. Do you or anyone else know of someone who has put a jdm tranny in a 2.2 cl. The difference is I can get JDM for about $ 250 and original for $600. Probably going to install it my self.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:32 PM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who ever told you they made a honda cl is pulling your leg.
but is it an auto or manual tranny?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I win

honda cl lol
Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 PM
where is....

Originally Posted by AznX TL
who ever told you they made a honda cl is pulling your leg.
but is it an auto or manual tranny?
nevermind i didnt read the title
Old 09-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
so you have a 4 cyl or a 6 cyl ? 4 cyl right?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 PM
10th Gear

It is a 4 cyl. 2.2 L sohc Vtec. I think the engine code is f22b1s I think?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 06:29 PM
10th Gear

I'd like to know for sure too. My 97 2.2 cl auto has 180k on it. I'd like to get a spare tranny since I plan on keeping the car for a while. The trans is fine right now though.

The jdm f22b 94-97 accord auto trans should fit. I know it will bolt up, just worried about all the sensors. They can be had cheap compared to rebuilds since noone really wants them with the replacement longblocks. Anybody know from their own experience if they work.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Do a search on car-part.com for your vehicle's transmission. This will show all the cars that are donor's to your car. You can also specify your zip code and find used transmissions near you. Go by and inspect the trans and the lot. I've found that lots that take care of their parts (removed and stored indoors) are your best bet.

good luck
Old 09-07-2008, 04:29 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
I picked up a 94-95 accord tranny for my 96 accord (obd2) and the only difference I see is that the cooler lines exit the trans from a different location... but other than that, the solenoids and whatnot all seem to match up. Same with the connectors. I even swapped the solenoids to the broken tranny to see if that was the issue, but it didn't solve the problem.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
10th Gear

So I decided to go ahead and purchase a jdm tranny that was most likely from a 96-97 accord ex with the f22b engine in it.( 2.2l vtec sohc ) I wanted to make sure it was from the same engine that was in my car so I saw him seperate the tranny from the jdm engine right in front of me. Apparently the f22b was made in mexico, then shipped to japan for their v tec accords. The case code is still different from what I have right now but Im hoping it will work out. Ill keep everyone posted on how the tranny works out. FYI the jdm tranny cost me $250 and I got a garage to swap it for about $400. So it will be nice if I can get the job done for under $700. Lets see?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Drifting

just cause you keep referring to it as a JDM tranny doesnt mean it is. I dont think the accord even had the f22b1 engine in Japan ever. Engines for most cars in japan top out at 2.0. Thats why their accrods had the f20b in recent years. The prelude is sole exception i can think of.

Either way, it should work as long as it correct ODB version and comes from an F or H series engine.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:06 PM
10th Gear

Your right, normally when people refer to something as something that does not make it that. In case anyone out there did not know that, thanks Dicorp for explaining. FYI I only refer to it as a JDM tranny because it came from Japan. How do I know this, maybe it was the numourous front clips of japanese vehicles at the used japanese import parts retailer. Maybe it was the label with japanese writing on the timing belt cover from the engine it came off of, unless north american shops now started puting japanese labels to show when the timing belt was changed? Maybe becasue the retailer had JDM used auto parts in his name? Maybe your right and this retailer is now importing vehicles from north america? I guess that wouldent be importing then!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 AM
10th Gear

Got the car back today and the car is running well. The transmission that came from Japan seem to fit well. The shifting is almost the same other then the fact the 3rd gear holds on a bit longer before going to 4th. I am very happy so far. The only issue seems to be that the engine light is on and a speed sensor code keeps coming up. Im going to investigate that myself and see what is wrong. So for anyone else out there with tranny problems in their 2.2 cl I would give the go ahead to pick up an auto tranny from a used jap retailer at less then half the price of an original from a domestic scap yard.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:30 PM
'99 2.3 CL

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by green goblin1
Got the car back today and the car is running well. The transmission that came from Japan seem to fit well. The shifting is almost the same other then the fact the 3rd gear holds on a bit longer before going to 4th. I am very happy so far. The only issue seems to be that the engine light is on and a speed sensor code keeps coming up. Im going to investigate that myself and see what is wrong. So for anyone else out there with tranny problems in their 2.2 cl I would give the go ahead to pick up an auto tranny from a used jap retailer at less then half the price of an original from a domestic scap yard.
I'm glad to hear they are compatible. Is this transmission an LSD? I always wondered what kind of different gearing was used on the JDM accords and preludes compared to US models. 3rd gear is probably holding because of the speed sensor problem. Check to make sure the mechanic plugged the speed sensor back in after he removed it as sometimes its overlooked. Hopefully, the JDM differential is compatible with the US speed sensor gears and shaft.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:51 AM
10th Gear

Hi Ian

Im not sure what LSD is? can you explain. I find the car kind of drives more like an accord now. The shifts are harder. But doesnt really bother me at all. There is definitely something wrong with the speed sensors. I looked for some info on the net and found that there are actually 2-3 speed sensors on the tranny. Ive been meaning to take a look at them but have not had time. I probably will look at them this weekend. Im thinking Ill just take them off the old tranny and swap them if anything. Thats assuming the mechanic has not junked the old tranny yet. I say somthing is wrong because when I slow down to a stop the tranny bangs in to 1st from 2nd, so the downshifting is hard, but only at that speed and not everytime? It seems that the tranny doesn not know where it is sometimes which im 100% sure is because of the speed sensors. Dont get me wrong the tranny is so much better then before and I could drive it like this even if it is not fixed, but I am going to try to fix it anyways as this probably would cause pre-mature tranny failure. Let me know if you have any tips or maybe a link on the net that may be helpful in removing the speed sensors. Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

Cool

Originally Posted by green goblin1
Hi Ian

Im not sure what LSD is? can you explain. I find the car kind of drives more like an accord now. The shifts are harder. But doesnt really bother me at all. There is definitely something wrong with the speed sensors. I looked for some info on the net and found that there are actually 2-3 speed sensors on the tranny. Ive been meaning to take a look at them but have not had time. I probably will look at them this weekend. Im thinking Ill just take them off the old tranny and swap them if anything. Thats assuming the mechanic has not junked the old tranny yet. I say somthing is wrong because when I slow down to a stop the tranny bangs in to 1st from 2nd, so the downshifting is hard, but only at that speed and not everytime? It seems that the tranny doesn not know where it is sometimes which im 100% sure is because of the speed sensors. Dont get me wrong the tranny is so much better then before and I could drive it like this even if it is not fixed, but I am going to try to fix it anyways as this probably would cause pre-mature tranny failure. Let me know if you have any tips or maybe a link on the net that may be helpful in removing the speed sensors. Thanks
Hey Kid

So listen. I had my transmission swapped from a auto jdm accord 97 ex from japan. I would suggest the same if not a 96 but i would not go for a 94-95 in my opinion. Transmission in those years are of course older and the newer ones are known to be much more efficient. This was done about 3 and half years ago the transmission was bought on ebay for about 500 and had a guy at honda do it off duty for 300 cash. All sensors should come with the transmission for an older transmission you gotta due the research.

Good luck