first time painting

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first time painting

So I decided to paint my hood cause it was looking all weird and what not. It didnt come out as I wanted it to but still better than what it was looking like .I used some "paint match touch up paint " that I found on amazon . Didnt match up but thats what I get for ordering paint online . Leave comments if u know of other ways of doing a paint job . Next im going to do the front bumper so im open to all suggestions

BEFORE

WET SANDED (thinking i just might sanded it down again and leave it like that)

after

Old 02-04-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you need to get the actual paint mixed.

did you use a compressor and gun?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justnspace
you need to get the actual paint mixed.

did you use a compressor and gun?
no i didnt i use spray paint cans . next time im going use a paint gun thou
Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
buy real cans of paint with your color code.
then use real paint gun.

good job on trying with spray cans tho.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
You picked the hardest color to paint match also
Old 02-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
You also would be better off removing the part that you are painting and just prepping and focusing on that rather than dealing with the whole car
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-05-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 07:09 PM
SANJOCL

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i agree with the spray gun thing and actual auto paint. auto paint is thinner than spray can paint i believe and using the gun helps to distribute a nice even flow as opposed to spray cans which just push paint out the nozzle haha.

BUT. using cans isnt as bad as people make it out to be. heres a couple things to take into consideration if youre planning to use cans again.

i kinda look at painting parts like painting murals. as a graffiti artist, ive learned over the years that can control is probably the most hardest thing to achieve but also the most important. can control = wrist movement, fluidity in motion, and perception of depth (can not too close and not too far). but this is obvious for any kinda of spray application i suppose.

DONT USE THE STOCK TIPS WHEN YOU PAINT PARTS. as you probably know, in the graffiti world there are spray tips for EVERYTHING. fat, extra fat, super fat, skinny extra skinny, super skinny, phantom (fat output with thin output in the middle), caligraphy, etc etc. what i do is i use a ny fat cap with my paint. i havent done it on this car but when i had my civic i painted the whole car with cans (and sanding of course and tons of practice. also i didnt do it by myself haha) and it came out like it was professionally done. (ill see if i can dig up a pic) ny fat caps are the fattest fill caps there are and they distribute evenly. but theyre kind of tricky to use as you have to keep constantly moving. or else youll get heavy drips if you dont. im not sure if they have fat caligraphys (im sure they do) but caligraphy tips are probably what youd want to use if you want to try to emulate the spray pattern a paint gun would give you. caligraphys provide (if you just test spray on a surface) a vertical line of paint thats nice an even. the ones i have arent big but i used them for things like trim and smaller parts. the output of paint isnt as large as ny fat caps but large enough so that you get a nice even coat.

you can get tips anywhere online. i think amazon has them also. and i swear theyre like 25-50 cents a tip. haha.

ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS is prepping your can. 30 minute warm bath and five minute shake down. its what i do prior to going on nightly bombing runs haha. it prevents the paint from clogging so easily (along with other positive benefits)..but when painting parts, it really helps with paint distribution.

i got a couple parts of my car that i want to try to paint myself. and up to this point, all the work thats been done on the car is been done myself so i want to try to keep that streak going. imma try to do a video so you guys can see what im talking about when it comes to the stuff i described. i apologize if it was a little hard to follow but im super tired hahaha