Need info on O2 Sensor Location on Catalyst (on the Cat?; or on the exit tube?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need info on O2 Sensor Location on Catalyst (on the Cat?; or on the exit tube?)

Before I ask my question, introductions:

I've been an Acura owner since 2008. I love these cars. If you take care of them, they will definitely take care of you, and this car has outlasted every single car I have EVER owned, has had less maintenance problems, been easier to maintain, gotten me cross-country nearly a dozen times, etc, etc. Very few concerning maintenance issues (and I've been vigilant about maintenance...if you don't take care of your things, you're doomed not to have them). I'm pretty much sold on Honda for life. My car currently has 287K, all under-the-hood work done, rust taken care of (except the windshield lip) and it's about to go into the shop to be made legal for an emissions/safety inspection, and get the suspension replaced. I have a 97' Acura CL 3.0L.

I'm about to order a new catalyst for my car (Bosal), and I need to know if the one I need is the one with the O2 sensor hole on the body of the Cat (in the middle), or the one with the O2 sensor hole on the exit tube of the cat. I'm thinking it's the former, but the one picture I can find in the 3.0 Service Manual Supplement 1997 (I guess I need to locate my base manual (it's currently packed in a box for moving...don't remember which one offhand) shows it on the exit tube. I don't want to buy the wrong one though, so I'm throwing this question out there to a community of Acura owners, hoping to get the correct answer.

Thanks,

J.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
on my 2.3 the location of the secondary O2 sensor was after the cat. My understanding is that its only real job is to determine if the cat converter is doing its job. Is the converter you're looking at a bolt on replacement or a weld-in universal?