How to clean your J30 V6 silnoids.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
How to clean your J30 V6 silnoids.

Iv had a few emails on people having various probs.

If your trans is slipping a bit this will more then likely help out.

Do the typical 3x drain and fill .
Install a tranny cooler in the front
Install a inline tranny filter.

Now to clean out your your silnoids here is what you do. Bare with me as its been a few month's since my CL has had a motor in it.

First off take your CL to the car wash and wash off the trans with a pressure washer dont go closer then 12-18" and move it around. Let your car run for a bit or go for a drive to dry it off and not on back roads LOL.

Jack the car up and Drain the trans fluid .
Take the Air box and battery out and the battery tray out.
Remove the throtle body cover off the top of the engine.

Now you will have to remove the trans cooler lines.
First off take a pair of pliers remove the spring clamp off the hose and slide it down the hose 2" and then take your hand and try turn the lose on the tube left and right to break it free. If it does not break free use the pliers and gently move it left to right till it moves then slide it down and make sure you have a pan under the lines it will drip. Take a clean bolt and shove it in the rubber hose to prevent possible dirt from going down there.

Now with both hoses offf you can remove the banjo bolts off the back of the trans near the diff it is about 3" long and has two alum washers on it. The front one is onlt 1.5" long if that. Dont loose the washers. Move the lines off . Now you have some room to work.

Remove the two connections i believe on the liner silnoid carefully. Press the top tabb and push it in and you should hear a click then pull it back and off the silnoid.Now there is 4 bolts holding the silnoid on remove them and grab the silnoid with both hands and pull up. If you need to pry it dont pry on the round silnoids.

To clean this silnoid you need to remove the 3 oil tubes and make sure you know where the tube go back to.

Now use a can of brake clean and clean the filters out from the silnoid to the trans direction. I mean pull the tubes out and the side of the tube that goes to the silnoid clean it out that way. Use Q tips to clean the silnoid out and make sure you dont leave any lint behind.

Now put the tubes back into the silnoid and replace the 3 orings # 91301-PC9-003 on the out side of the tubes and put on a new gasket #28252-PAX-000 onto the trans and reinstall the liner silnoid and hook up the elec connections.

Now on the front of the trans you will see 2 silnoids i think they were blue and redish dont qoute me on that.

Take some WD40 and soak around the shaft and where it goes into the case. Remove the one 10mm and then move the silnoid left to right and when it breaks free take a small screw driver and pry between the bracket and the case while pulling the silnoid out.

Now clean the silnoid with brake clean out and look at the screen and see whats in there. Take the brake clean and put it near the hole closis to the screen and with your hand covering the other side of the hole blow it out thru the screen to clean the crap out. Then once the silnoid is clean. Check the orings and see if there any good if they are good put some new trans fluid on them and slap them back in.

Now the Lock up silnoid is on the top of the tranny unhook it and remove the 3 10mm bolts holding it on and remove the screen and purchase a new one from honda there cheap.# 28220-P0Z-003. Clean the silnioid out with brake clean and allow to dry then put new gasket on and put the gasket in and then the silnoid onto the tranny.

Now reinstall your tranny cooler lines and make sure there is a alum washer on each side of the Banjo.

Now if you are gonna install a trans cooler the line that goes to the back of the trans is the line you use. So the line that comes from the rad to this tube is the line that goes to the front trans cooler then the line from the trans cooler to this tube going to the back of the trans.

Now intall the battery bracket and the battery and make sure the trans drain plug is tight and put the car back on the ground refill the trans up and check for leaks. Reinstall the intake and go for a drive nomaly to remove any possible air in the silnoids and you should be good.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDMCRX:
fliplyricist1 (07-10-2011), pitbullLOVER (08-05-2012)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
appreciate this man, very nice!

Questions: the lock up selenoid...has 3 bolts...but the 3rd one in the very back closest to the firewall is a BITCH to get at!!

Any advice on what to use to get to it, and how to access it? I tried an open ended wrench and fitting a ratchet in there...both to no avail. There's this big black bracket (non removable) in the way, along with a large diameter pipe (not sure what it's for) obstructing access to the bolt. It's impossible to fit a hand in there!

quote: "Now on the front of the trans you will see 2 silnoids i think they were blue and redish dont qoute me on that."

I'm assuming that means this particular selenoid is only visible/accessible under the car and near the pan? The only two selenoids I see from the engine bay are the liner and lock selenoids. Never saw a 3rd one (unless I didn't look hard enough?)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks again!

Last edited by fliplyricist1; 07-10-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 PM
user & abuser

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i got a solenoid sheet from acura and their is another solenoid, the shift solenoid, it has a filter. also 2 sets of three o-rings are needed for the tow solenoids on the front.
and for the record evey1 spelled solenoid diff. but only one is right.