DIY: Leaky evap box / clogged drain.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:57 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
DIY: Leaky evap box / clogged drain.

Recently I noticed since it got really humid that I tend to leak moisture in the car. Also I noticed I was not spotting on the ground much at all. Well I decided to get up in there and find out what was going on and why my evap box liked to piss on my carpet when i turned hard left or accelerated.

Basically get to the passenger side and remove the glove box, remove the door sill cover and the kick panel cover. Once you are at that point you will want to pull out the silver support beam that the glove box mounts to.

Your evap box that gathers all that moisture is the big guy on the left. The black box on the right is your blower assembly. These next two pictures show how I added some more foam rubber to seal the blower to evap assembly better since the old stuff was slightly... well... old. This is not necessary but I did it as a precautionary measure in case my drain clogs again, I don't want water leaking on my floor/ecu again - this is where it was escaping from.

To get the lower half of the box loose.. you need to remove about 10 screws / bolts spread out all around the evap housing. DO NOT pull on the bottom to hard, you can only spread it about 1/3" at most. In order to remove the whole box and actually clean it out, you need to discharge the A/C system. Something I am not going to dive into in the middle of a hot summer.

However aside from that (and if you peek in you will see the nastiness in there, mine had some nasty gunk in the bottom) this is the culprit.

The hose simply slides off the drain pipe. I would either put plastic down or have a shop vac at the ready. Once you disconnect it depending if the hose is clogged or the drain is, you may have a lot of water come out. Mine happened to be clogged in the drain, but I used compressed air in the hose and also vacuumed it. I then got the shop vac on and ready, poked a zip tie up in the drain and out came a rush of water. At this point if the water is rushing out I would either hook the drain hose back up or be prepared to have a lot of water in the car if you were using the car earlier on a humid day. After the box finished pissing out on the floor I disconnected it again and hit the hose with more compressed air / vacuum. Bolt everything back together, clean up your mess and you should be good to go. In the future I will have a DIY for removing the whole box in the winter when I refurb the whole AC system.

PS: Here is the nice big puddle it left. That is about 3/4 of what came out, the rest ended up in the shop vac in the car.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:21 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what a coincidence... my car pissed on my gf's leg the other day while she was riding with me!
haha thanks for the walkthrough