Windshield wipers and lights ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield wipers and lights ?

The two things in the topic aren't really related... just got a couple questions:

First question: My windows wipers squeak like a mother when it's covered in water, it's absolutely ridiculous and so annoying. I fixed up my windshield wipers because they weren't set properly on the wiper itself... that helped a bit but it still squeaks. Any ideas? Should I just put some wax or Rainex on my windshield and call it a quick fix?

Second question: My low beam (I think... can you adjust the high beams?) horizontal adjustment control on the drivers side is broken. The wheel is not attached to whatever it was turning to move the light left/right, I can feel it just freely spinning. The only reason it's a problem is because the drivers side light is way the hell off to the right and I can't adjust it.

edit: Heh... I guess you can kinda see in my avatar that the two beams come to a focal point off to the right on the garage. That's the drivers side light crossing over the passenger side light. I don't like it when I'm making a left turn; can't see anything.

Any help is appreciated

off topic a bit... does anyone else get massive amounts of condensation in their car? I think there's got to be a seal leak somewhere.... can you get the seals redone?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Either your wipers are old and need replaced or they're dirty. Try cleaning the blades with rubbing alchohol. The light bulb, you probably need to manually adjust the reflector, not sure if you can do that from the outside or not. I don't get any condensation in my car either. What part of the car? The windshields? Def sounds like a loose weatherstrip, not sure what part of the car it's coming from though.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Racer

Wiper blades are brand new, like 2 months old... I guess that's not brand new but it feels like I just bought them. I put some "anti-rain" stuff on my windshield, is it possible it created a residue (after it wore off) that the windshield wipers can't slide over easily?

Got a couple more problems... do you think you should ever have to replace the power steering fluid? Also, when should you replace the brake fluid? I've got a squeaky serpentine belt (at least I believe so). Tried the dry soap on the belt and it stopped whining, but the belt SHOULD be brand new (don't they replace it when they do the timing belt and water pump?) and doesn't have an unusually large amount of flex. Should I just take it back to the guy that did the timing belt/water pump?

Scratch what I said about the condensation... I guess it's on the outside. But it's weird... my car will be the only one that gets a ton of condensation on the outside windows.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Matt

Do you have the stock windsheild? Also, what wipers are you using... As for the headlight, I had the same problem on my passenger light. If you lean into the screw driver as you turn, the teeth might grab. You literally have to try and bend it while turning it without breaking it.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by kraftey
Wiper blades are brand new, like 2 months old... I guess that's not brand new but it feels like I just bought them. I put some "anti-rain" stuff on my windshield, is it possible it created a residue (after it wore off) that the windshield wipers can't slide over easily?

Got a couple more problems... do you think you should ever have to replace the power steering fluid? Also, when should you replace the brake fluid? I've got a squeaky serpentine belt (at least I believe so). Tried the dry soap on the belt and it stopped whining, but the belt SHOULD be brand new (don't they replace it when they do the timing belt and water pump?) and doesn't have an unusually large amount of flex. Should I just take it back to the guy that did the timing belt/water pump?

Scratch what I said about the condensation... I guess it's on the outside. But it's weird... my car will be the only one that gets a ton of condensation on the outside windows.
The anti-rain stuff is deg built up and causing problems as for the belt, get some belt dressing
Old 10-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Racer

So here's a weird thing. Recently it's been getting cold enough for the windows to freeze. When I try to run the windshield wipers over ice... it still gets stuck and kinda vibrates. On ICE??? Shouldn't it just slide right over? I think I've just eliminated the "anti-rain film" idea, because it wasn't even touching the window. Any other ideas? Is the arm too tight?

God it's the most annoying sound in the world, makes me turn off my windshield wipers.

edit: Oh, also, it only does it when there's too much water or liquid on the wind shield, not when there is a small amount of water/liquid.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Racer

If anyone cares, it was the blades not the rubber piece (the wiper?). They were so old they had vibrated themselves loose and the piece that holds them on had a ton of play in it. So I bought new wiper blades and they work fine now...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
Do you have the stock windsheild?
This question still cracks me up I have an aftermarket carbon fiber windshield
Old 11-02-2006, 08:20 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL