AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G CL (1997-1999) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-1997-1999-56/)
-   -   whistling noise (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-1997-1999-56/whistling-noise-446872/)

McfallDan 10-26-2003 06:26 PM

whistling noise

Well, I put in my new short arm air intake over the weekend. Not too sure if its in right but anyway...whenever i give it just a little gas I hear like an annoying shrilly whistling noise. Then when I give it more gas it makes a sweet loud deep sound. Is it supposed to make a high pitched, whistling sound like that? Also, its just hanging there...its actually the wheel well or whatever that is right below it. It have two metal pieces that I didn't use cause I wasn't sure where to use them and I was thinking they might have been to hold the thing up but i just could find where they went!

CLpower 10-26-2003 06:34 PM

that's normal :)

what metal pieces didn't you use? The clamps? :dunno:

EPS CL 10-26-2003 06:40 PM

There should be an extra extension of metal jutting out of the tube to bolt onto the engine bay near the strut tower bar. Probably to the metal clamps you are talking about go around the throttlebody or the filter.

McfallDan 10-27-2003 07:36 AM

no i used the clamps...there was nothing jutting out of the tube to bolt onto anything. The pieces of metal I have look like they would be used to bolt on the tube because they have wholes in them where you might put a bolt through...but they don't have a place to attach to hte tube and it didn't come with any bolts....

moforose3.0 10-27-2003 08:47 PM

Its just the sound of the intake. I have a type-s throttle body for sale that will cure that.

legendaryCL98 10-27-2003 09:15 PM

Originally posted by McfallDan
no i used the clamps...there was nothing jutting out of the tube to bolt onto anything. The pieces of metal I have look like they would be used to bolt on the tube because they have wholes in them where you might put a bolt through...but they don't have a place to attach to hte tube and it didn't come with any bolts....
yeah, i didnt use the two extra metal thingy's either bro...

jtothees 10-27-2003 09:36 PM

I love the sound my cai makes, especially when i turn the car off.
I can now time it just right so that it sounds somewhat like a blowoff valve at certain rpm's ;)

nicholbr 10-28-2003 08:25 AM

I installed a short ram intake not long ago and started noticing the same noise. So me and my buddy started investigating what it could be (aka him hanging out the window trying to hear where it was coming from) because it only happens when i'm in gear and not when i'm just sitting and revving.

So our best guess was the piece that opens the throttle on the throttle body because when we moved it it squeaked a little at certain points. So i'm going to put some grease on it and let it sit for a little while and then see if that fixes it. Seems like the only possibility at this point.

I'll let you know the results!

-j

legendaryCL98 10-28-2003 08:33 AM

i thought that the whistling noise was just the intake sucking in air.... isnt it?:confused:

ju5tchi11in 10-28-2003 08:59 AM

it is. When you shift ur not engaging the clutch/gear/throttle so you release some of the air in the intake?? perhaps? like when you are turning off the engine... or could be the complete opposite now that I think about it. When you re-engage the throttle/gear you need more air again for combustion and it is just the intake sucking up more air right when you engage again.

97Cl22 10-28-2003 09:19 AM

It is the intake sucking in air. You don't hear it unless your using the gas pedal because the throttle body isn't open very much so not much air is getting in. The more you hit the gas the louder she screams.

ju5tchi11in 10-28-2003 09:22 AM

I think he is trying to figure out what the whistling sound is when you first step on the gas after you shift or press down on the gas pretty hard there is a whistling sound before you get the scream of the intake.

McfallDan 10-28-2003 09:29 AM

yeah, the whistling sound only happens when i first hit the gas....then as more air and gas enter it goes away and i hear the roar! So i think maybe its just the little valve opening thing, when its open just a little (i press the gas just a little) it whistles like a tea pot through its little opening...is there anything to fix that? Whats this throttle body thing you are all talking about?

ju5tchi11in 10-28-2003 09:31 AM

mine does it too I think that is what it does :) doesn't bother me though. Just mash the gas a lot if you don't want to hear it or turn up the t00n5

97Cl22 10-28-2003 09:38 AM

Originally posted by McfallDan
yeah, the whistling sound only happens when i first hit the gas....then as more air and gas enter it goes away and i hear the roar! So i think maybe its just the little valve opening thing, when its open just a little (i press the gas just a little) it whistles like a tea pot through its little opening...is there anything to fix that? Whats this throttle body thing you are all talking about?
The throttle body is the thing the intake plugs into with the swiveling plate in there. It's linked to your gas pedal and opens more and more depending on the gas pedal. Yes it is a teapot effect that makes the whistling, but that is normal. There is really no way around it outside of romping on it all the time :P

DeadLeg 10-30-2003 03:56 PM

Ok, the sound is it just sucking in air... plus get rid of that intake and get cold air... same basic noise, but better performance... and the intake that is made for your car, is made actually for an Accord, they just stamp it saying it also goes on the CL's... which it does fit our engine, but thats it.