What exactly is wrong ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly is wrong ?

I realize that this topic is repeated many many times. And yes, I am planning to have a dealer to look at it. Before I go, I hope i can get some advise from you guys so that I won't have to listen to their BS.

My tranny is shifting REALLY hard, both upshift and downshift, which makes the ride super uncomfortable. The worst is when the powerful 3.0 vtec kicks in, it literally makes that loud clonking noise.

Even when I am at a red light stop, i shift to N, and then when i shift it back to D4 or D3, damn.. the whole car just shaked or kind of kicked a little. SAme thing happens with other gears.

What exactly is wrong ? does this means this require a rebuild? has anyone tried to fix this with a dealer under warranty ?

thanx for any comment.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:48 AM
Burning Brakes

maybe its the shift selonoid on the tranny..
Old 06-19-2002, 08:05 AM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

NOTHING!!!! Do not waste your time nor the dealerships!!! I have the same thing and so do 8 out of 10 other CLs, Accords, Civics, TL, etc etc... It classic HONDA trannies... The kick hard when gripping gears... I brought my car into the dealer for trhe same thing, and my car would acually "hop" when it engaged (foot on the brake and all).. they tightened the linkage, but said that was not the problem.. there was NO PROBLEM! My dealership has "A" quality service guys which I kknow personally... One of them has worked with Honda and Acura for over 25 years combined and said after a few years, ALL Honda Cars do this!!!! Not to worry....
Old 06-19-2002, 10:13 AM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Casper98CL
NOTHING!!!! Do not waste your time nor the dealerships!!! I have the same thing and so do 8 out of 10 other CLs, Accords, Civics, TL, etc etc... It classic HONDA trannies... The kick hard when gripping gears... I brought my car into the dealer for trhe same thing, and my car would acually "hop" when it engaged (foot on the brake and all).. they tightened the linkage, but said that was not the problem.. there was NO PROBLEM! My dealership has "A" quality service guys which I kknow personally... One of them has worked with Honda and Acura for over 25 years combined and said after a few years, ALL Honda Cars do this!!!! Not to worry....
I have the same problem, but my dealer gave me a new tranny. It was the hard shifting but then it started slipping first and second. Now, there's no hard shifting at all. Maybe we have different problems or not, but should bring it to the dealer to check it out anywayz.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:56 AM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

Originally posted by 99CL

I have the same problem, but my dealer gave me a new tranny. It was the hard shifting but then it started slipping first and second. Now, there's no hard shifting at all. Maybe we have different problems or not, but should bring it to the dealer to check it out anywayz.
how old is the new tranny.. give it 4 years like the car and then see if it knocks.. that was the explaination I was givien.. who knows!
Old 06-19-2002, 11:16 AM
Intermediate

def. get it checked out, my car is 5 years old now and is still shifting smooth and quiet. it's a hard shift from 1st to 2nd but thats expected with all honda/acura and it has been like that since i can remember. hopefully it's something minor, good luck!
Old 06-19-2002, 08:56 PM
Racer

thanx guys, yah, i am going to have them take a look before the week!! pheww.. finally have time now !

I don't believe it should be expected... otherwise, i should have gotten another car!! damn ! i demand something better than this ! ha ha