wha gas do you use in your cl?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 05:51 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally posted by Got Rice?
Hummm...Maybe thats why I'm running so damned rich. I puff out black smoke sometimes when I get on it.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:51 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
where have you been when we've had this discussion?
Old 09-29-2003, 05:59 PM
Flap.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i cant believe people cant search this...
its been beaten to death on here in the few months ive been here
listen to the old timers
and search 87 is the way to go.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old timers and the people that designed the engine.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:07 PM
Homeless

Originally posted by Hobo
i cant believe people cant search this...
its been beaten to death on here in the few months ive been here
listen to the old timers
and search 87 is the way to go.
Question.

Then why, if 87 is all we need, do they sell 2 & 3 grades higher than 87?

I, personally, can tell the difference in my vehicles when I get a shitty tank of 87 octane. My old max would run like shit with 87...than after a few tanks of 94...ran liked a raped ape.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by chris3240929
Question.

I, personally, can tell the difference in my vehicles when I get a shitty tank of 87 octane. My old max would run like shit with 87...than after a few tanks of 94...ran liked a raped ape.
Cause they don't sell gas according to what runs best on a CL.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:10 PM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by CLpower
where have you been when we've had this discussion?
I usully skip these threads. :P

How interesting can a thread about gas be?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:19 PM
Homeless

Originally posted by Got Rice?
Cause they don't sell gas according to what runs best on a CL.
But a CL is pretty efficient right?

I would think the big shitty ass v-8's would need the lower octane...

I'm stickin with the 94 Sunoco...fuck it...

When I start to see black smoke, I'll switch to Kerosene...
Old 09-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Cause stock sux.

Think FI cars...

Higher octane = able to raise to higher boost.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:44 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Question.

because it all depends on the car. For example the type S needs a higher octane because it's a high compression engine. My parents navigator is the same way. But the majority of cars don't need it, for example our economy CL. It's built to get good gas mileage and not the powerfull motor the Type S is built up to be.

Also as got rice stated, FI cars almost always need high octane. ANy thing lower (same w/ high CR motors) would detonate on a low octane.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:45 PM
teh Senior Instigator

some v8's run low octane, some don't, basically the CR is what will tell you you need higher octane.

Hey, go w/ your feeling, don't listen to the dyno or the facts
Old 09-29-2003, 06:46 PM
Atl/Mia reppin'

Joe, I'd figure you'd have been smart enough to do a search to see what kind of gas to use
Old 09-29-2003, 06:49 PM
TEAM BLUR So. CAL

anything more than 87=waste of money.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:47 PM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by ATLcl98
Joe, I'd figure you'd have been smart enough to do a search to see what kind of gas to use
Never underestimate the laziness.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:24 AM
Homeless

Hey, go w/ your feeling, don't listen to the dyno or the facts
Good answer
Old 09-30-2003, 05:42 AM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
because it all depends on the car. For example the type S needs a higher octane because it's a high compression engine. My parents navigator is the same way. But the majority of cars don't need it, for example our economy CL. It's built to get good gas mileage and not the powerfull motor the Type S is built up to be.

Also as got rice stated, FI cars almost always need high octane. ANy thing lower (same w/ high CR motors) would detonate on a low octane.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:26 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally posted by TeamBlurryCL
anything more than 87=waste of money.
Word, this may come as a shock to many of u guys, but The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. So from this, it means octane is not a measure of purity, how good the gas is or anything like that. If u poured it out into the glass, from the same brand, u can't tell the difference by color or taste (hehehe). The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. So the only reason in ur CL to use higher octane is if u changed the compression ratio. Which i think cam gears can do.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:38 AM
Sign: Slippery When Wet

Good statement up to a point, fusionnv. Cam gears will not change you compression ratio. Its a matter of how much you compress th e fuel in the combustion chamber or cylinder. High compression pistons will change the compression ratio.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:46 AM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
finally some good advice
How many time has this subject come up

PEOPLE: Octane is not a rating of gas quality, even though the providers have done a good job of convincing otherwise.
Compression compression compression --bottom line period.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:39 AM
Homeless

A Consumer's Guide:
Gasoline Octane for Cars
from Gasoline Questions & Answers for Your Car
API Publication 1580, Sixth edition, January 1996

Q. What is octane?

A. Octane is a measure of a gasoline's ability to resist knock or pinging noise from an engine. In older vehicles, knock may be accompanied by engine run-on, or dieseling. Knock is the sharp, metallic-sounding engine noise that results from uncontrolled combustion. Severe knocking over an extended time may damage pistons and other engine parts. If you can hear knocking, you should have your engine checked to make sure it is calibrated correctly and does not have a mechanical or electrical problem, or use a higher octane gasoline.

In most vehicles no benefit is gained from using gasoline that has a higher octane number than is needed to prevent knock. However, in some vehicles equipped with a knock sensor (an electronic device installed in many modern engines that allows the engine management system to detect and reduce knock), a higher octane gasoline may improve performance slightly.

Q. What determines my car's octane requirements?
A. Your car's octane requirements are mainly determined by its basic design. In addition, variations in engines due to manufacturing tolerances can cause cars of the same model to require a different octane of several numbers. Also, as a new car is driven, its octane requirement can increase because of the buildup of combustion chamber deposits. This continues until a stable level is reached, typically after about 15,000 miles. The stabilized octane requirement may be 3-6 numbers higher than when the car was new. Premium or midgrade fuel may be advisable to prevent knock.

Other factors also influence your car's knocking characteristics:
Temperature - Generally, the hotter the ambient air and engine coolant, the greater the octane requirement.

Altitude - The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.

Humidity - The drier the air, the greater the octane requirement. The recommendations that vehicle manufacturers give are for normal- to low-humidity levels.

Your engine's spark timing - The octane requirement increases as the spark timing is advanced. Both the basic setting of the spark timing and the operation of the automatic spark advance mechanisms are important in controlling knock. In some computer controlled engines, the spark timing can only be changed by replacing modules in the computer. If they are equipped with knock sensors, these computer controlled engines have the ability to retard the ignition temporarily when a sensor detects knock. This temporarily reduces the octane requirement and may also temporarily reduce vehicle performance.

Method of driving - Rapid acceleration and heavy loading, such as pulling a trailer or climbing a hill, may result in a greater octane requirement. Stop-and-go driving and excessive idling can increase octane requirements by causing the buildup of combustion chamber deposits.

Malfunctions of emission control systems - An improperly functioning emissions control system can affect the octane requirement by changing the air-fuel mixture or by not providing dilution gases through the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system. If a malfunction occurs, your vehicle should be taken to a qualified vehicle service mechanic. Some problems are indicated by warning lights on the driver's instrument panel.

Q. How many grades of gasoline are available?
A. Most places that sell gasoline offer three octane grades of unleaded gasoline--regular at 87 (R+M)/2, midgrade at 89 (R+M)/2, and premium at 93 (R+M)/2. In high-altitude areas such as the Rocky Mountain Region of the U.S., the (R+M)/2 number may be lower by one or two numbers. After January 1, 1996, no leaded gasoline may be sold for highway use.

Q. Which octane grade should I use in my car?
A. Use the recommendation in your car owner's manual as a starting point for selecting the proper gasoline. If you notice engine knock over an extended time and your engine is adjusted correctly, try a higher octane gasoline. Also, higher octane may provide a performance benefit (better acceleration) in cars equipped with knock sensors. Many late model and high-performance (turbo-charged and supercharged) cars fall into this category.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally posted by Bluesman
Good statement up to a point, fusionnv. Cam gears will not change you compression ratio. Its a matter of how much you compress th e fuel in the combustion chamber or cylinder. High compression pistons will change the compression ratio.
My mistake, i got that from another poster that and at the time nobody challenged it. I guess this is how misinformation spreads.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:09 AM
teh Senior Instigator

A Consumer's Guide:
Gasoline Octane for Cars
from Gasoline Questions & Answers for Your Car
API Publication 1580, Sixth edition, January 1996

Q. What is octane?

A. Octane is a measure of a gasoline's ability to resist knock or pinging noise from an engine. In older vehicles, knock may be accompanied by engine run-on, or dieseling. Knock is the sharp, metallic-sounding engine noise that results from uncontrolled combustion. Severe knocking over an extended time may damage pistons and other engine parts. If you can hear knocking, you should have your engine checked to make sure it is calibrated correctly and does not have a mechanical or electrical problem, or use a higher octane gasoline.

In most vehicles no benefit is gained from using gasoline that has a higher octane number than is needed to prevent knock. However, in some vehicles equipped with a knock sensor (an electronic device installed in many modern engines that allows the engine management system to detect and reduce knock), a higher octane gasoline may improve performance slightly.

Q. What determines my car's octane requirements?
A. Your car's octane requirements are mainly determined by its basic design. In addition, variations in engines due to manufacturing tolerances can cause cars of the same model to require a different octane of several numbers. Also, as a new car is driven, its octane requirement can increase because of the buildup of combustion chamber deposits. This continues until a stable level is reached, typically after about 15,000 miles. The stabilized octane requirement may be 3-6 numbers higher than when the car was new. Premium or midgrade fuel may be advisable to prevent knock.

Other factors also influence your car's knocking characteristics:
Temperature - Generally, the hotter the ambient air and engine coolant, the greater the octane requirement.

Altitude - The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the octane requirement. Modern computer-controlled engines adjust spark timing and air-fuel ratio to compensate for changes in barometric pressure, and thus the effect of altitude on octane requirement is smaller in these vehicles.

Humidity - The drier the air, the greater the octane requirement. The recommendations that vehicle manufacturers give are for normal- to low-humidity levels.

Your engine's spark timing - The octane requirement increases as the spark timing is advanced. Both the basic setting of the spark timing and the operation of the automatic spark advance mechanisms are important in controlling knock. In some computer controlled engines, the spark timing can only be changed by replacing modules in the computer. If they are equipped with knock sensors, these computer controlled engines have the ability to retard the ignition temporarily when a sensor detects knock. This temporarily reduces the octane requirement and may also temporarily reduce vehicle performance.

Method of driving - Rapid acceleration and heavy loading, such as pulling a trailer or climbing a hill, may result in a greater octane requirement. Stop-and-go driving and excessive idling can increase octane requirements by causing the buildup of combustion chamber deposits.

Malfunctions of emission control systems - An improperly functioning emissions control system can affect the octane requirement by changing the air-fuel mixture or by not providing dilution gases through the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system. If a malfunction occurs, your vehicle should be taken to a qualified vehicle service mechanic. Some problems are indicated by warning lights on the driver's instrument panel.

Q. How many grades of gasoline are available?
A. Most places that sell gasoline offer three octane grades of unleaded gasoline--regular at 87 (R+M)/2, midgrade at 89 (R+M)/2, and premium at 93 (R+M)/2. In high-altitude areas such as the Rocky Mountain Region of the U.S., the (R+M)/2 number may be lower by one or two numbers. After January 1, 1996, no leaded gasoline may be sold for highway use.

Q. Which octane grade should I use in my car?
A. Use the recommendation in your car owner's manual as a starting point for selecting the proper gasoline. If you notice engine knock over an extended time and your engine is adjusted correctly, try a higher octane gasoline. Also, higher octane may provide a performance benefit (better acceleration) in cars equipped with knock sensors. Many late model and high-performance (turbo-charged and supercharged) cars fall into this category.

as we've said, don't listen to us or the proven facts and dyno's that have come from trying different octanes. Go ahead and keep doing what you are doing
Old 09-30-2003, 09:11 AM
CAFFEINE SLAVE

I run 87
Old 09-30-2003, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 09-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Cause stock sux.

I'm switching to 69 octane.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Nah get leaded, then watch how it screws up ur car!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Sign: Slippery When Wet

Old 09-30-2003, 01:11 PM
Homeless

as we've said, don't listen to us or the proven facts and dyno's that have come from trying different octanes. Go ahead and keep doing what you are doing
If you had taken the time to read it before posting your comments, you'd have seen it supported what most of you had already said...

So, if you get bored, read it...it's pretty good for reference. They don't go into compression, etc...but it does explain why newer cars need a higher octane than, say, an old 88 Caprice POS...
Old 09-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Pro

Originally posted by LCARUCA 97
87 all the way. anything higher will just take longer to burn off and cause you to lose hp.
you use 87 even with the H22?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:42 PM
CL smashin

Costco Regular Unleaded 87. Heh, the gas there is the cheapest out here in Cali! Last time I went, I think it was like 1.69? Somethin like that.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:36 PM
TEAM BLUR So. CAL

Originally posted by Outlaw
Costco Regular Unleaded 87. Heh, the gas there is the cheapest out here in Cali! Last time I went, I think it was like 1.69? Somethin like that.
that shit runs through your car like water though
Old 10-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Racer

I had my injectors cleaned out a while ago because I felt a real power lag. The mechanic who did it said he has never seen injectors that clogged after only 50k miles. He asked me what brand and octane gas I used. I told him bp (cheapest in my area) and 87 because that's what the book called for. He told me to put chevron 93 in it because it would keep the injectors and pistons clean. He also said I’d get better gas mileage and more power due to a more complete combustion in the chamber. This is from a certified acura mechanic. What he said makes sense to me.....but like everyone else said. Go with what you feel.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Racer

i agree wit da 93 thing never really trusted dat 87 shit
Old 10-01-2003, 05:14 PM
teh Senior Instigator

lvmycl23 your mechanic is an idiot
Old 10-01-2003, 05:15 PM
Racer

then there must have been another reason y his fuel injectors were clogged
Old 10-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Racer

that's what i was wondering because it only had 50k miles on it. i was thinking maybe i needed a new fuel filter but i researched it a while back and the one we have doesn't need to be changed ever, or so i read. i don't understand how a filter would not need to be changed.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:47 PM
-S namyaC-

He's right about the Chevron gas...it has Techron in it, which is basically a injector cleaner. Fuck the 93 tho, I use Chevron 87. No off brand gas, sometimes Exxon if there is no Chevron around.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Racer

Originally posted by matteichenfels
If you read the owners manual it says car will run best on 87
Allow me to repeat myself....IT SAYS RIGHT IN THE FUCKING OWNERS MANUAL OUR CARS WILL RUN BEST ON 87...THIS IS COMING STRAIGHT FROM ACURA! THE PEOPLE WHO KNOW THESE CARS (AND THE MOTORS) THE BEST, I WOULD THINK!