Venom 400 Performance Conclusions . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 10:09 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Venom 400 Performance Conclusions . . . .

Rather than Whore the hell out of Got Rice?'s thread over in the First Gen Gallery, I though I would respond here [for anyone who cares].

Got Rice?: This is not directed at you, I just took the opportunity to address this issue by responding to your post.

Originally posted by Got Rice?

I got mine for $270. Someone posted track times of 0.5 secs faster on the 1/4 mile. Bad for regular driving...but great for racing. Car keeps wanting to pull.
My experience has actually been the opposite! [You may be referring to the 1/4 mile times that I posted some time ago.]

I have been a GTech/Venom 400 "wannabe" believer for the past year. I got rid of my GTech a couple of weeks ago because it did not consistently produce credible results. I ran it at the track 2 different Fridays (multiple runs), and found it to be waaaaayyyyy off. [Now to my original purpose.]

I have been a promoter of the Venom 400 for over a year now. The initial increase in speed and power was evident since day one! No doubt about it! The ability to pass people on the highway was it's selling point to me. I timed it with my GTech, and found an average of .5 to .6 seconds drop in my 1/4 mile times! Needless to day, I was impressed!!!!!!!

Well, I've been to the track several times this spring, and have run the Venom 400 on and off in numerous runs. My conclusion (based on reading my time slips) is that Venom does NOT decrease my 1/4 mile ETs!!!! [This was another factor for me to get rid of the GTech! I was posting times on this board based on my GTech timings; which were INCORRECT!]

I actually have slightly better times with the Venom OFF!!!!! This may help to explain why comparably equipped 3.0s (without the Venom) have posted better times than me (running the same day I was)??????

I now feel that my Venom's performance is much better suited for daily driving. I leave it on, all of the time. Remember, the Venom only engages when the throttle is opened at a certain RPM. Normal cruising (on the highway, for instance) will not activate the Venom. When I need the extra power, the Venom provides it quicker than without.

Also, contrary to what some have reported, I noticed the biggest difference (Venom on) when my car was completely stock. The more mods I added, the less proportionate increase in power, I noticed.

I stopped using the Venom at the track, because it just simply didn't decrease my ETs. I continue using on the street for that "extra" punch needed when passing someone, or to launch from a stop. Everyone who has ridden or driven my car with the Venom off, then on, notices a difference. It's undeniable.

However, if the Venom's overall purpose is to increase fuel and air flow to maximum WOT, then starting a run at WOT (like at the track), sort of defeats the Venom's purpose. If WOT is the max and engine can do, then beginning a run at WOT is the best that the engine can do. If I am incorrect, then please, correct me!

At the same time I write the above, I keep saying to myself "but you CAN feel the difference in the Venom". So, why isn't this reflected in my 1/4 mile ETs? I just don't get it!!!!

I so much want to be a believer in the Venom 400, but I don't use it at the track, anymore. [Besides, I'll be running nitrous at the track.]

These are only my experiences, and I'm not saying that others will agree.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:42 AM
Not Fast But Built 2 Last

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Rick, thanks for taking the time to post these findings. This is what I love about forums. This is the kind of information that is really hard to find anywhere else.

Hope the N2O gives you that extra kick that you are craving LOL.

Rick
Old 04-22-2002, 11:08 AM
AWD Torque Monster

on my I4 i had simiar results but i havent timed my car at all. and at first i hated the venom, but after my i/h/e it worked much much better. i do know that even if i floor my car with the venom off right off the line it isnt as fast as with it on. another thing is with it on my auto chirps into 2nd. somethin it definitely doesnt do with it off. i have my venom off 99% of the time. it makes for a very non smooth ride. i only use it if i feel like screwing around. i really wish i used the money on an igntion first. i think the venom is a last resort type of mod. its a nice toy but i rather have other shit first.
Old 04-22-2002, 11:25 AM
No Too Fast, No Too Slow.

Well....I felt the difference when I first started using the venom but now I don't feel like its helping me....I've noticed that the take off with the venom on is better but in higher rpm's slows me down...
Old 04-22-2002, 11:27 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by clxtreme
I've noticed that the take off with the venom on is better but in higher rpm's slows me down...
EXACTLY!!!!!!

I wish I could have been that direct!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:21 PM
150 Shot Project

Well gee thanks! I just recieved my venom on 4-20 and i'm having double thoughts as well. As mentioned, i can feel the difference but i'm not sure if its really doing anything. Kinda like driving in high gear all the time. But it'll work i suppose.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Ham Sandwich

..i think thats what i've been saying since day one of the venom conversation. but i see everyone has to find out the hard way, which is fine by me.. because i'm the same way..