Upgrades during tranny rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrades during tranny rebuild?

The tranny is on its way out and I don't want to be stuck with no plan, a downed car, and then an equally shitty tranny after getting a$$ raped.

When I get the tranny rebuilt, what sort of upgrades can I get so it lasts much longer than it would stock?

I don't have the money to go Dr. Evil, but there has to be some parts that can be swapped out for stronger ones, right?

I've no clue about this stuff, so any parts, prices, shops, anything would be helpful.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,465 Likes on 3,059 Posts
Wilp ftmfw

"almost all of the performance transmission companies use alto red eagle clutch packs. "

"i did mine my self and saved 2500$ it costed me a total of 300$ manual, kit and everything. but i had no warranty.. i would go with aamco. and have them install alto, red eagle clutch packs.. thats the ones dr evil uses. and you can buy just those.. and youll last almost forever. or you can go for the stockies, and get the life time warranty. good luck pimp"

i dont beleave this is a topic..

our trannies have the same problem as the 99+ tl's lack of fluid flow. and what little fluid gets to the clutch packs is too hot to do anything. wil's best suggestion, is to get a tranny cooler, and change fluid every 15k miles. the torque converters are basic honda tc's they are actually pretty good, they only fail because of the debris from the clutch packs bending the internal turbines and clogging the tranny filter. if you catch the problem right away, your t/c will be fine, if you drive with no second gear thinkin its gonna fix itself, itll be toast in 2 weeks. once the clutch material is gone theres nothing but metal hence the jerkey engagment.

"another important contributing part is the sensors. 97's have an external vss, which if it goes bad will cause harsh shifting, even with no problem with the clutch packs. theres also the linear solenoid.. this one is prolly the #1 contributor to burning up trannies. theres pressure switches, (speaking from experience.. 3rd gear pressure switch.) mine was bad causing it to shift like ass from 1st to 2nd. how you may ask, when the third gear switch was gone, the ecu thought it was time to change gears to 3rd gear. but the tranny was like "im still in first so ill just go into second" and bam harsh 2nd engagment. i changed the 3rd gear switch and it was smooth as a babies ass. i hope this helps the next mofo who wants to start a stickey thread about trannies. holla pimps."
Old 12-12-2006, 12:43 AM
~[τΏτ]~

Might as well put in a LSD while you're at it. I believe there was others on this forum considering the Phantom Grip. The one sold for the 96-99 Accord. 98-99 3.0 CLs differential has the same P/N as the Accords. Not sure about the 97 3.0 or any 2.2/2.3
Old 12-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
i dont beleave this is a topic..

BELEAVE IT!!!

I already read about the alto red eagle clutch packs, but I want to get all/any information and suggestions I can.

...like nakamichi's suggestion of a Phantom Grip LSD
But I have a 97 3.0, so I guess I'm still in the dark about that..

I installed a tranny cooler as soon as I got the car..

I'm losing 2nd gear completely, and all the shifts are pretty harsh.

For some reason it shifts smoother if I accelerate instead of let off a little, but I've read this is bad for the tranny so I just let off and take the harsher shift.
I hope this prolongs the tranny, but it seems weird that the smoother (accelerated) shift is supposedly worse for it.

So the only thing I can (practically) upgrade is the clutch packs?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,465 Likes on 3,059 Posts
That was all quoted from Wilp not me Maybe u beleave him