Tranny finally fixed..............

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 09:29 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tranny finally fixed..............

well guys the tranny is fixed after waiting over and almost 3 months to fix it, graduation money helped pay for it

tranny is goign to be fixed by thursday, but more bad news the guy called me yesterday and told me to come down

this did not sound good when he asks you to come in

well the sensor to tell the tranny to shift gears went out, in which cause the TC to go bad, and break off shavings into the tranny and then the clutch plates, the shaving from them were all over the tranny and in the filter cause the whining noise

CLpower this is what your experiencing i think, that whining noise, its metal flakes in your filter inside the tranny, so i would get it fixed before you have to do what i did

329 for the sensor
627 for the TC
1180 for the rebuild

im looking at about 2304.93 after some labor, since this guy is a friend of mine he's hooking me up a lot on the labor since its all fucked up but he's doing a fantastic job on it and it will be tight when i get it back, lets just say i will be popping my car's cherry over again with the new tranny

i can wait to get past the 1000 miles so i can drive it better and faster

but i think i will not drive the car hard for a while since i have a warrenty for 2 yrs on the tranny and i cant afford another one

this is costing me all my money from graduation plus had to borrow 800 from the parents to cover the rest i could not cover, i only had 1500, but thats what he estimated it to be

also he had a bitch of a time trying to find the master rebuild kit, i guess when acura made the 97 3.0 CL they made it with 2 different trannies, and i have the first one and the first one is the hardest to find parts for, oh what my luck im having

hope to get her out for a little run this weekend, i dont htink i will make it to the meet on saturday but it will give me time to break her in a little and some time to get my lips and sides painted for the WCM3 in july which i cant wait for, hopefully i can make it this year, its alldepending on my uncle and how quickly we can fix the sides and paint them then install

have fun at the meet guys and be safe

- joe
Old 06-09-2004, 10:07 PM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
get least ur getting it fixed....don't worry about the meet, u know how that always go..hahaha....
Old 06-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn I know the feeling, If I had to do it over again I still would not have fixed it. 7yr old car w/140,000 miles I could not see spending that kind of money. Good luck bro and I hope this one sticks good for ya
Old 06-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well shit if u wanted to change it to a manual tranny that would be the time
Old 06-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Safety Car

im looking at about 2304.93 after some labor
Dude, you coulda got the bullet-proof tranny for only $2000 more. Personally I woulda taken out a loan to pay off the rest. beats the hell out of getting yet another tranny in a few years for the same price. 1 tranny installed and shipped for $4500 that will last forever, or two trannies for $4600 installed that might shit out again... I'd pick the first one.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

i heard that you're supposed drive it hard the 1st month or so just to make sure everything will work fine cuz if anything that'll fall apart, it'll fall apart in the beginning
Old 06-10-2004, 06:49 PM

the guy that did it gave me a 2yr warrenty on all parts and labor

so............i think it will be ok and if he says anything is wrong bring it in and he will fix it no questions asked
Old 06-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Do you know the part number for the sensor?
Old 06-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CLver
Do you know the part number for the sensor?

Or the official name of the part. That way I can look for it on acuraautomotive.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:50 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 97Acura3.0CL
the guy that did it gave me a 2yr warrenty on all parts and labor

so............i think it will be ok and if he says anything is wrong bring it in and he will fix it no questions asked
I was about to say they had better offer you a warrenty.

That's a pretty damn good price. Mine was about $2600 for everything and I got a 50K mile warrenty.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:42 PM

ill call the guy n mondya he's at a golf tourney today and ill get the part number for the sensor

hang in there you all, this month is bad for trannies
Old 06-12-2004, 12:46 AM
Racer

Sup man,

Congrats on the "new" tranny. Have you ever looked into Aamco transmissions? I was charged $1750 for my rebuild, that was for a new TC, 1st and 2nd Gear, and a solenoid pack. And this second time was under warranty for a new TC, 3rd and 4th Gear, and another solenoid pack, so I basically have a new transmission. Hopefully you get her back soon and let the extreme modding begin.

-James
Old 06-12-2004, 02:02 AM

today i started the car up and it made a whining noise, and i called the guy and he said its air in the filter but it only does it in nuetral and neutral ONLY

he said to bring it to hima nd i will but its weird and now my speedometer is a little sticky ever since the tranny was installed, i think the sensor for the speed sensor on the tranny is loose or something like that
Old 06-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Safety Car

the whining noise is prolly the tranny pump. which means a rebuild. every time they do a rebuild they should change the clutch packs. the filter u cannot change w/o taking the tranny apart. which is most of the cost of the rebuild, so.......
Originally Posted by 97Acura3.0CL
today i started the car up and it made a whining noise, and i called the guy and he said its air in the filter but it only does it in nuetral and neutral ONLY

he said to bring it to hima nd i will but its weird and now my speedometer is a little sticky ever since the tranny was installed, i think the sensor for the speed sensor on the tranny is loose or something like that
the speed sensor only has one screw on it. its located just behind the rear (towards the driver) cooler pipe. the plug snaps on, make sure the screw is tight, and that the sensor is not broken cause it touches the frame of the car when the tranny is removed. if it is broken its cause of what THEY did. (on the removal)
Old 06-12-2004, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by wilp99
the speed sensor only has one screw on it. its located just behind the rear (towards the driver) cooler pipe. the plug snaps on, make sure the screw is tight, and that the sensor is not broken cause it touches the frame of the car when the tranny is removed. if it is broken its cause of what THEY did. (on the removal)

how do you figure they did it?

this guy is a good friend of mine and i could tell it was going out from the gears not shifting right and when they tried to it would be dragged on and on and on and then it would shift, this is the sign of a sensor going out
Old 06-12-2004, 11:16 AM

oh and i have the sensor too, he gave it back to me but how can you check to see if it actually broken?

i have pics of them, ill try to post them later, as well as the pics of the clutch plates
Old 06-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

the shifting late is the clutch packs., well... its kind of a two fold problem. if all the gears shift late it was the sensor(S) u can ohm out the other sensors. if u have an ohmeter. u can also pick one up for like 10$. ill scan my service manual and itll tell u all the limits. did changing it help the problem? when i changed my clutch packs they were allmost black... kind of a dark chocolate color the clutches. and the friction plates were blue metal color meaning they were overheated.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Racer

Hey wilp99,

From what I recall...you did the tranny rebuild on your own right? So what is involved and does the engine need to be lifted by any chance to get to the tranny? And roughly how heavy is the tranny? I'm asking since I might consider purchasing one of those Phantom grip Limited slip differential kits on eBay. There claims to be one for the 98+ 3.0L Trannies, and that would also mean us. And really want to get into the nitty gritty of it all, see if I can get a local shop to beef it up.

Thanks,
James

BTW 97Acura3.0CL definitely post those pics, wanna see what some of the innards look like. So did you get the car back already or did you simply just start it up? Anyhow, good luck on all that.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:19 AM

heres the pics

gears 1st to 2nd

2nd to 3rd

3rd to 4th and Overdrive

this is the sensor im talking about

Old 06-13-2004, 01:20 AM

all those gears are pictured from right to left

so 1st gear is on the right and then move to the left and 2nd is next of course
Old 06-13-2004, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by athlonxp
BTW 97Acura3.0CL definitely post those pics, wanna see what some of the innards look like. So did you get the car back already or did you simply just start it up? Anyhow, good luck on all that.

i started it up and it runs like a new pussy, and i had to pop her cherry for the first time

shifts great but the whining noise in neutral is bugging me but is that normal? sometime it does it, but not all the time and it does it occasionally in park too but not often in park just mainly in neutral, ive only had the car back 3 days and it didnt do it on thursday but yesterday and today it did whine in neutal a little

anyone?
Old 06-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by athlonxp
Hey wilp99,

From what I recall...you did the tranny rebuild on your own right? So what is involved and does the engine need to be lifted by any chance to get to the tranny? And roughly how heavy is the tranny? I'm asking since I might consider purchasing one of those Phantom grip Limited slip differential kits on eBay. There claims to be one for the 98+ 3.0L Trannies, and that would also mean us. And really want to get into the nitty gritty of it all, see if I can get a local shop to beef it up.

Thanks,
James

the tranny itself weighs bout 200lbs. the engine stays in but u need to remove the front mount (obviously since its attatched to the tranny.) its a really tight fit. i got my rebuild kit from here http://www.bulkpart.com/cgi-bin/miva...y_Code=Acurark

ull also need the filter which is also on this site (like 10$) and one gallon of tranny fluid dextron 3 will be fine. (use this just to lube up the inside as ur putting parts back togather, and soaking the clutch packs.) the hardest part of the rebuild was the main bolts for the shafts. they each have bout 150ftlb of torque on them and thier dimpled so it will kick ur ass. at least it kicked mine (im 6'2" and weigh 245 lbs. and can bench 285lbs.) and it made me look like a pussy. anyways theres a trick to it let me know when u get to that spot. another thing that really helped me out was the service manual i picked up for 35$ heres the link. http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...KMPA2DK7PQ6SW5

u have to get the supplement which is whats posted, cause thats the only manual that covers the 3.0. and believe me it covers EVERYTHING.

now for the bad news, the differential gear will brobly be different cause the accord's use a different transmission. they are simmaler but they are different. the cl uses (97)M7ZA/(98-99)B7ZA(the b7za is the same as the m7za but its just a variation of it, doesent have two speed sensors.) the accord has a BAXA tranny. some parts are the same and im not sure if that is one of them. meybee u could call honda and acura and see if they have the same part number. anyways u need to shim the gear bearings, and its a pretty in depth ordeal. the service manual will tell u how to shim it if u wanted to try it anyways.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

97acura3.0 dogg.......those are like 50x worse than mine was. mine was only the 1-2 that was bad. altho i did change all of mine anyways. ok the check on that switch is u take two wires and put one on the positive on the battery and one on the negative on the battery. then u put the positive on one post in the sensor and the negative on the other post (on the same terminal side black or brown) then u should hear it click each time u apply power and release power. do it for each side. i cant find my service manual anywhere so i cant tell u the ohm of each side. i think its like 5ohm per side. or so. ill let u know.

the whining noise, im not so sure of. it could be the pump but it would do it all the time. or it could be one of the shaft bearings. did it do it before the rebuild?
Old 06-13-2004, 10:37 PM

found out the whining noise is a pulley that has the wobbles a little but nothing too big the guy said

when you rev the car the pulley moves a little but not much at all and sometime not at all just on occansions

any ideas on what to do in case? dont know if its the pulley for sure but what else should i check
Old 06-13-2004, 10:41 PM

97acura3.0 dogg.......those are like 50x worse than mine was. mine was only the 1-2 that was bad. altho i did change all of mine anyways. ok the check on that switch is u take two wires and put one on the positive on the battery and one on the negative on the battery. then u put the positive on one post in the sensor and the negative on the other post (on the same terminal side black or brown) then u should hear it click each time u apply power and release power. do it for each side. i cant find my service manual anywhere so i cant tell u the ohm of each side. i think its like 5ohm per side. or so. ill let u know.

the whining noise, im not so sure of. it could be the pump but it would do it all the time. or it could be one of the shaft bearings. did it do it before the rebuild?

wilp99: i changed all of my clutch plates too, it was a complete rebuild, evrything basically is brand new

and no it did not whine before the rebuild of the tranny, so i dont know

he said when he looked at it today it could be a shaft bear thats going out but not too sure but said its nothing to worry about too much cause its not cause any harm that he can see

i trust this guy, he's a good friend of mine and i know his family so.......
Old 06-13-2004, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

the ohm on the selonoid u got is 5 ohm. on both sides. i finally found my book.

well if u got any more questions i could answer hit me up.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:41 AM

wilp99: you got aol im?

hit me up on aol im @ jgiguere17
Old 06-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Cruisin'

Transmission Problemss

Hello, I was wondering how did you break yuur transmission in the beggining , was it a problem happening for some time or was it sudden death?

I have a problem on a 2.3 L 1998 CL , that appears that the transmission is slipping, not sure why, its always late about .5 sec .. when comming to a full stop while the engine is hot, the car luges forward as if somebody just rear ended me... strange and annoying as hell!

Was is the same problem you had?

Also worth mentioneing when my car is fully wormed up . its pretty much impossible to do any spirited driving, it confuses the hell out of it, its not sure what gear to in and goes into Neutral most of the time.. I hate it!!!!

I think I may have a similar problem as you Thanks for any info!!

Mark
Old 06-30-2004, 10:02 PM

no thats not the same problem i had

i had a problem of the whole gears not catching at all and then sudenly at midnight i was driving home and all the gears went out like nothing
Old 10-26-2005, 11:06 PM
666 Speed

the cl uses (97)M7ZA/(98-99)B7ZA(the b7za is the same as the m7za but its just a variation of it, doesent have two speed sensors.)

Can they be interchanged? Meaning can a 99 use the M7ZA or does it have to be the B7ZA?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

there was a M7ZA in 98 and 99 but there was also a B7ZA for those years too. between 98 and 99 they are totally interchangeable, the 97 tranny can only be used on a 97.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Advanced

I had the problem. When I release the gas fast, it happens sometimes

Someone said that it is tranny mount problem OR my car was wrecked before

I need help too!!!

Originally Posted by smadny
Hello, I was wondering how did you break yuur transmission in the beggining , was it a problem happening for some time or was it sudden death?

I have a problem on a 2.3 L 1998 CL , that appears that the transmission is slipping, not sure why, its always late about .5 sec .. when comming to a full stop while the engine is hot, the car luges forward as if somebody just rear ended me... strange and annoying as hell!

Was is the same problem you had?

Also worth mentioneing when my car is fully wormed up . its pretty much impossible to do any spirited driving, it confuses the hell out of it, its not sure what gear to in and goes into Neutral most of the time.. I hate it!!!!

I think I may have a similar problem as you Thanks for any info!!

Mark