Thinkin of jumpin ship ACURA to Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATLcl98
damn eric, 7000 posts? what have i missed!

im' such a whore. I started the day with like 6900. now i have 7146
Old 09-27-2004, 10:35 PM
The movement has started

Originally Posted by proaudio22
How many run at 500whp daily on 93 (or less) pump gas?
Yup, I know guys running that much on pump 92 here in the islands. Daily driven also. NEXT.

Guy in WRX: eh who cares - next please
Not I.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:39 PM
The movement has started

Same here almost: 350Z/Magnum RT/F250 Diesel.

Ideally I'd like to have the 350Z AND the F250, not sure if I can pull that off or not. The Magnum is a good blend - insane power, supposedly good handling (haven't driven one yet), plus decent cargo space.
Why did you buy your cl in the 1st place then, when all the car's your talking about, or interested in is in the 30k+ range? If you had so much money at the time, why didn't you buy the 350. It was out when you bought the cl. :noob: the cl is prolly your 1st car, and you have done no performance mod's to it, why listen to a guy that reads books?????
Old 09-27-2004, 10:41 PM
The movement has started

Originally Posted by Katana18
proaudio, i couldnt have said it better myself. I love my CL, but at the same time, its not worth it trying to make it fast. I get my lil looks driving around, and i call it a day. All that extra money to do all this crazy swaps and turbos, will be going to something else. Namely, the 1960 Cadillac i'm going to buy. Or into my bike, which is fast as hell and makes me think trying to make 'any' car fast is pointless. The CL is a sweet car, but its outdated, and slow.
Your going from a slow car to a boat, so that basically means you really dont care about speed. Why are you still in this argument. Mr I got nitrous just for the purge feature.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:46 PM
The movement has started

Well, lets see here. For instance, i have a friend who bought a used WS6 with 20k on it. He paid 17k. He's got all the usual bolt on business, plus a 150 shot. He currently runs a 11.3 in the quarter. I dont think he spent more than 5k on mods. So i'd take that, any day of the week, and twice on sundays. As for me spraying nitrous with 87 octane, i ll take my chances. If it blows, it blows. My a/f is always fine, and i've never had a problem. I like my CL, but i think too many people try to turn it into a race car, which its not.
Ok so your friend is like any other redneck hillbilly out there that has a trans am. Plus anyone can run a 150shot with bolton's and be fast. Keith was running 13's, with bolton's and 125shot with fuel problems on street tires. If he got his fuel dialed, and ran slicks, i'm sure he'd be in the mid 12 sec range. Can you list the mods your friend did to his car, and that's still not close to what you claimed, running in the 800-900hp range. Good luck with your chances with the nitrous. I'm sure if you had a turbo h22, you'd still be running 87 also.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:49 PM
CL 4 LYFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha im sure the 7 sec drag civics arent considered racing cars?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:19 PM
CL 4 LYFE

Don't take this as a personal bash or anything guys, but you are giving our 6/7 year old cars too much credit.
None taken. This is my first PROJECT car and I am taking its potential to its maximum. Credit, huh? Fuck yeah I give my car credit. In everything I do, i give 100%. Now, I don't have to be the "fastest" on the streets because there are always people thatll have a faster car than you. What Id like to do is build a powerful motor thats enough to still be a street driven/legal car. That is my goal as an enthusiast. Anyone can buy a car. Its what you do to it, that matters.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:29 AM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

you know there ARE alot more options than the "almighty" h22
Old 09-28-2004, 12:41 AM
The movement has started

The funniest thing about this thread is, the people that are complaining the cl is slow, are the one's that either went all show with a 2.2 automatic, or have a stock 3.0 with no engine mod's. I didn't see d98clturbo, or fastvteccl post anything about our cars being slow in this thread.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:42 AM
The movement has started

Originally Posted by azian21485
you know there ARE alot more options than the "almighty" h22
What would that be?
Old 09-28-2004, 01:50 AM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

people are on budgets so other things that are imo equally or more cost effective than an h22..in no way am i an expert on any of this nor will i ever swap or build my motor (staying in sts autox class) but some things to think about

boost the fseries..helluvalot stronger block than h22's alluminum which means it can handle more boost without touching the internals...parts come buy cheap..engine comes by cheap...go custom and you'll get more power for cheaper than h22

h23 plus boost...same as fseries but has a few perks like larger intake manifold..stronger block than h22...dohc..parts still cheaper than h22...but we already have the f22 so save some money =)

f20b....expensive lol

going n/a the f22 also has potentional...swap the b2 head for a a6 head and you have a pretty stout engine...it's also alot more fun building a sohc to take on the big boys =)

in no way am i saying the h22a is a bad motor, imo there's just other choices out there instead of doing what everyone else is doing or dreams of doing..might as well go buy a prelude

[QUOTE=proaudio22]You guys forget there are turns in the road too. I don't care if you have a $2K suspention on your $10K car - and you can beat an STi in a straight line - you still aren't going to come anywhere close to him in the twisties or on the track.
QUOTE]

i've beaten porsches and rsx-s spending under a grand on my currently crappy suspension in auto-x...there's civics out there and other cars that put well under $30000 that rape sti's on the courses
Old 09-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by baka_t
Your going from a slow car to a boat, so that basically means you really dont care about speed. Why are you still in this argument. Mr I got nitrous just for the purge feature.

You're right, i dont care about speed on my car. I honestly couldnt care less. Like i've said many times over, my bike takes care of my need for speed. I'm still in this argument cuz some of you people think that a 5+ yr old car with a Prelude motor is the best thing on the planet. Its not. More power to you if you have do have 500HP in your CL, but they're few and far between. As for my nitrous, I originally did get it for the show/ purge factor, but grew to like it. I've probably already been through about 15 bottles already. Running on 87 octane. So luckily, me and the mad scientist havent had to replace any of those piston rings yet.

Ok so your friend is like any other redneck hillbilly out there that has a trans am. Plus anyone can run a 150shot with bolton's and be fast. Keith was running 13's, with bolton's and 125shot with fuel problems on street tires. If he got his fuel dialed, and ran slicks, i'm sure he'd be in the mid 12 sec range. Can you list the mods your friend did to his car, and that's still not close to what you claimed, running in the 800-900hp range. Good luck with your chances with the nitrous. I'm sure if you had a turbo h22, you'd still be running 87 also.

Actually, my 'redneck hillbilly' friend is actually Asian. He switched from a WRX to the Firebird because it was a lot more powerful. You're right, he probably doesnt have 800-900 HP, even on the juice, but i was just trying to give an example. There is no replacement for displacement.

The funniest thing about this thread is, the people that are complaining the cl is slow, are the one's that either went all show with a 2.2 automatic, or have a stock 3.0 with no engine mod's. I didn't see d98clturbo, or fastvteccl post anything about our cars being slow in this thread.

Actually, i'm not complaining. Never in this thread did u see me complain about the speed. I knew it was slow when I bought it. I test drove and even thought to myself "damn this bitch is slow". But it was pimp, so i got it. So have fun trying to turn the CL into a race car. Even d98clturbo and fastvteccl, although quick, arent gonna be smoking everything on the road. Fastvtec's fastest time was a 13.6 i believe? I dont know what D98 runs, but either way, while a 13.6 is quick, it ll still get smoked by a large number of cars out here.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:39 PM
-S namyaC-

Yup, I know guys running that much on pump 92 here in the islands. Daily driven also.
Daily driven at full boost? Or dialed down? Noone I know is crazy enough to drive around with a stock 200hp car boosted to 500 every day.

Why did you buy your cl in the 1st place then, when all the car's your talking about, or interested in is in the 30k+ range? If you had so much money at the time, why didn't you buy the 350. It was out when you bought the cl. :noob: the cl is prolly your 1st car, and you have done no performance mod's to it, why listen to a guy that reads books?????
CL is not my first car. I bought the CL b/c I needed a car right then, and I didn't have enough money at the time. No credit to get a loan (parents JUST got a divorce, niether wanted to help on a loan at the time) - so I had to buy what I could just pay cash for.

I didn't even really know that much about the first gen before I came here to read about the second gen, what I really was looking at. Saw the first gens, found a few in town, liked them better than an Accord, etc - so I bought one. Now, a year later with some great job changes - I have enough to buy a car I really want. Plus, I have credit built up to where I can get a loan if I need too.

I haven't done any performace mods to the car b/c I realized a six months after I bought it that I was going to get rid of it. Why waste the money?

Keith was running 13's, with bolton's and 125shot with fuel problems on street tires. If he got his fuel dialed, and ran slicks, i'm sure he'd be in the mid 12 sec range.
How many trannies did he go though again? I'm sure if he got it all dialed it it would have been 5 more than that number. Fast is great. Fast and reliable is even better, no?

I never complained about it being slow. I said it was old and old looking. I mostly want a better/sharper looking car. As far as speed goes - I'm just looking for torque now.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:41 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
Well, lets see here. For instance, i have a friend who bought a used WS6 with 20k on it. He paid 17k. He's got all the usual bolt on business, plus a 150 shot. He currently runs a 11.3 in the quarter. I dont think he spent more than 5k on mods. So i'd take that, any day of the week, and twice on sundays. As for me spraying nitrous with 87 octane, i ll take my chances. If it blows, it blows. My a/f is always fine, and i've never had a problem. I like my CL, but i think too many people try to turn it into a race car, which its not.

wait a minute. You spray while you run 87? Are you retarded? Your A/F has nothing to do with that.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:42 PM
-S namyaC-

Originally Posted by lnsyone
None taken. This is my first PROJECT car and I am taking its potential to its maximum. Credit, huh? Fuck yeah I give my car credit. In everything I do, i give 100%. Now, I don't have to be the "fastest" on the streets because there are always people thatll have a faster car than you. What Id like to do is build a powerful motor thats enough to still be a street driven/legal car. That is my goal as an enthusiast. Anyone can buy a car. Its what you do to it, that matters.
I respect that - it's just I think there is a point where there is too much money spent on a car for what it's worth. To me, $8K into a $10K car is silly. But that's just my opinion.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:43 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA

keith will tell you our cars are slow, we've been talking about it since day one, hence why he upgraded to a 4 banger
Old 09-28-2004, 02:45 PM
-S namyaC-

Originally Posted by azian21485
i've beaten porsches and rsx-s spending under a grand on my currently crappy suspension in auto-x...there's civics out there and other cars that put well under $30000 that rape sti's on the courses
Well of course it has to do with the driver. A pro in a Civic is going to kick the noob in the Evo's ass. It's just silly to think your car can handle anywhere near a late model Porsche tho.

If you let a pro driver take your car and a 350Z around the course - I'll give you $5 if your car is even within 5 seconds of the stock Z.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:46 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Mr I got nitrous just for the purge feature.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Pit Stop?

On the subject of modding the CL, yeah I did it, but would I again now that I've done it? Probably not. When I go to sell it some work will have to be done to turn it back to stock and part it out, probably not going to find someone to buy it like it is.

And it IS slow, I've found that out the hard way, and while it does look very good when modified, it does look like an older car. It has the classic Japanese style from the mid to late 90s, the headlights with the turn signals in a seperate piece below it. So it looks dated, and it's slow.......hmmm, not what the boy racer in me wants
Old 09-28-2004, 02:52 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Well of course it has to do with the driver. A pro in a Civic is going to kick the noob in the Evo's ass. It's just silly to think your car can handle anywhere near a late model Porsche tho.

If you let a pro driver take your car and a 350Z around the course - I'll give you $5 if your car is even within 5 seconds of the stock Z.

what does this guy drive?
Old 09-28-2004, 03:17 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

yes my car does have crappy suspension right now and in no way do i think it'll handle better than high end sports cars out there(already have something in store for next year though =) ) but i'm a noob compared to the autox and road racers out there there's a nationally competitive 5th gen accord that is almost on his way taking 1st place one day (although i forgot what class he's running in right now)

check out http://www.ustcc.com/ tom lepper drives the stock h22 accord..he one last year winning 1st in almost every race..his competition goes from type r's to wrx and all these are full race modded so in no way is his class non-competitive..this year they put on alot of restrictions to the accord so it's not doing as well as last year but the season just started

i'm not saying that the 1st gen cl and 5th gen accords are the all mighty nor am i saying not to jump boat and look at the turbo awd craze....there's only a handful of our cars that are very competitive in what they do..but i'm just saying that these cars CAN be competitive and people shouldn't doubt one car's potential..it'll just take more work =)
Old 09-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CLpower
wait a minute. You spray while you run 87? Are you retarded? Your A/F has nothing to do with that.

the only thing retarded is this thread. And you of course.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:02 PM
The movement has started

Daily driven at full boost? Or dialed down? Noone I know is crazy enough to drive around with a stock 200hp car boosted to 500 every day.
Daily driven, street car running 450whp on pump 92.

CL is not my first car. I bought the CL b/c I needed a car right then, and I didn't have enough money at the time. No credit to get a loan (parents JUST got a divorce, niether wanted to help on a loan at the time) - so I had to buy what I could just pay cash for.
Why argue on here then, get rid of your cl because you hate it so much.

I didn't even really know that much about the first gen before I came here to read about the second gen, what I really was looking at. Saw the first gens, found a few in town, liked them better than an Accord, etc - so I bought one. Now, a year later with some great job changes - I have enough to buy a car I really want. Plus, I have credit built up to where I can get a loan if I need too.
Good for you, why even post here?

I haven't done any performace mods to the car b/c I realized a six months after I bought it that I was going to get rid of it. Why waste the money?
Sell Sell Sell then $$$$$$.

How many trannies did he go though again? I'm sure if he got it all dialed it it would have been 5 more than that number. Fast is great. Fast and reliable is even better, no?
He's been through 6, and all were replaced for free under warranty. Obviously, rebuilt trannys arent as good as oem. Dustbuster has been spraying on his and had no problem's till this date, what about that???

I never complained about it being slow. I said it was old and old looking. I mostly want a better/sharper looking car. As far as speed goes - I'm just looking for torque now.
Buy a truck then.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:04 PM
The movement has started

keith will tell you our cars are slow, we've been talking about it since day one, hence why he upgraded to a 4 banger
Ok, you win ghander.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

This car was not built or marketed as a true sports car. Part of the reason you see so many 40 year old women driving them. People can dump as much as they want into it and get it kind of fast (relatively), but you can do that with just about anything on the road, and much cheaper in most cases.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

c'mon eric be nice
Old 09-28-2004, 07:42 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Old 09-28-2004, 07:42 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by r0dxx
c'mon eric be nice

that newb wolfboy thinks you should be banned
Old 09-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Banned

that newb wolfboy thinks you should be banned

who? me, or rodxx? and why? divulge your information!
Old 09-28-2004, 08:40 PM
05 STi White/Gold

well, in my opinion... in the end the CL is a slow car. it wasnt meant to be fast. yes, it is possible to mod it up but in my experience is pretty much a waste of money.... unless you plan to keep the car forever. i too am jumping ship to subaru (sti) soon. im selling my car and am not earning shit for all the mods i've done to it. now im just looking for something that is fast stock... and has a warrantee... props to those that have done swaps... i was that close to doing one myself. however after talking to my friend with a h22a swap on his accord coupe... i decided not to... too many problems.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:02 PM
teh Senior Instigator

who? me, or rodxx? and why? divulge your information!
rodxx
Old 09-29-2004, 01:33 AM
'07 November = STI

just get a '05 lancer evo RS.. it'll practically dust everything for about $27,000

err.. with the right mods atleast. but inline four with 271 HP!! holy crap!

put i/e/h on there and your set!

the only opponents you'll end up wanting to race are exotics ie: lambos, ferraris, lotus', porche..
Old 09-29-2004, 02:31 AM
CL 4 LYFE

i sure hope that none of you think that having a fast car determines the size of your testicles.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:58 AM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

no, it just determines how fast you are....
Old 09-29-2004, 08:25 PM
CL 4 LYFE

seriously,quit now and take out the fast and the furious dvd.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Suzuka Master

rodxx
Who wants me banned? and why?