Taking out the bose amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 08:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking out the bose amp

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been discussed a hundred times already but I just got a new pioneer head unit and it won’t play any music(The radio turns on and everything appears to be well connected). I have a 97 3.0CL with the Bose system and I was wondering if I could get my new head unit to work just by bypassing the amp in the trunk or would I have to remove all the Bose speakers? Could I keep the same wires? And how should I go about removing the amp?

I’ve searched a lot of the old posts, some say it is possible to keep the Bose speaker, and some say it isn’t. Can anybody confirm which one is actually possible or direct me to a post that explains it properly, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Krazy Dave

I bought the car, and it had an alpine head unit bose speakers and bose amp, i told the guy that i didn't want the head unit. then i put in a 2.0 v 50wx4 pioneer headunit, and that played pretty loud and i was able to use the bose amp and speakers. now i have upgraded to a dvd/cd by pioneer that is 4.5 V with the built in 50wx4 amp that is standard in the pioneer products and i was told that this could not work with the bose amp so i bypassed it and it plays very clearly, there is only a litle bit of distortion at the higher end, but at these volumes, you can listen to it anyways...so when i have money i might change the speakers/bose amp. but at the moment it is more then adequate without

hope i was helpful..
Old 02-19-2006, 09:51 AM
10th Gear

Thanks Krazy Dave,
I'm gonna try to bypass the amp today although I would have liked to have found a way of still using it. I read a post which said something about running the blue power antenna wire from the head unit to power the amp so I wouldn't have to by pass it. I'd like to know if this is possible? And could someone confirm that this is the proper wiring instructions for bypassing the amp.

Right Front Speaker- +Yellow goes to Gray with Blue line
- Brown goes to Blue with Gray line

Left Front Speaker- + White goes to Red with Gray line
- Orange goes to Brown with Black line

Right Rear Speaker- + Blue goes to Brown with White line
- Black goes to Red with Yellow line

Left Rear Speaker- + Red goes to Blue with Yellow line
- Green goes to Gray with wlite line

if you add aftermarket speakers remember to clip the tweeters
Old 02-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Krazy Dave

if i spend alot of money on somehting i like to have it installed profesionally.

i just noticed that you're from mtl...what part and where do you get your stuff done? and i searched, there no pics of your car...you have anything done?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 AM
10th Gear

I'm actually from the South Shore of Montreal(St.Bruno). I usually try to do stuff myself but I bring it to the dealership "Les Galeries Acura" or "Acura Brossard" when I have to, I hate the idea of people I don't know touching my car.
The car(97 primrose 3.0 Cl) is stock for now but I am looking for a skirt kit and some new tires for this spring. I'm about to install a new head unit with a Rockford Fosgate 12'' sub and a Clarion amp. Engin mods will have to wait till the end of summer.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Krazy Dave

i can't say i have ever seen a primrose cl in real life! they are very rare up here.

i usually see the black 3.0 most commonly but i saw a champaigne one this morning on the way to work that was SLAMMED! looked like it had no suspension at all! but it was like a 60 year old man driving it!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankCL3.0
Thanks Krazy Dave,
I'm gonna try to bypass the amp today although I would have liked to have found a way of still using it. I read a post which said something about running the blue power antenna wire from the head unit to power the amp so I wouldn't have to by pass it. I'd like to know if this is possible? And could someone confirm that this is the proper wiring instructions for bypassing the amp.

Right Front Speaker- +Yellow goes to Gray with Blue line
- Brown goes to Blue with Gray line

Left Front Speaker- + White goes to Red with Gray line
- Orange goes to Brown with Black line

Right Rear Speaker- + Blue goes to Brown with White line
- Black goes to Red with Yellow line

Left Rear Speaker- + Red goes to Blue with Yellow line
- Green goes to Gray with wlite line

if you add aftermarket speakers remember to clip the tweeters
It is possible to use the antenna to trigger the amp, you just have to splice into the remote wire of the stock bose amp. I bypassed my amp and removed it so I can't tell u which wire, but it's been talked about on here a lot, just search for it. I just bypassed all the wires right into the head unit