system suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
system suggestions

ok, xmas is coming up and i think i want to change my system. I'm driving a 97 3.0 CL w/ the stock bose system and i don't wanna spend too much money on it. what do you guys think is the best bet? I'm looking into changing out the HU, either keep the stock bose and add an infinity basslink or somethink like that. Or change the bose speakers and no subs. what should i do and what are some good speakers?

i'm looking at this alpine HU, what you guys think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39750

edit: link fixed. sorry
Old 11-18-2003, 01:19 PM
Instructor

That link dosent work.

You're gonna be better off changing the headunit first... make sure to get one with at LEAST front and rear preamp outputs... it makes wirring into the bose amp much easier. Use a harness adapter, and wire RCA connectors onto each pair of speaker wires... then plug them into the preouts of the new deck. Most alpine decks you can toggle the internal amp on and off, so if your deck you get is capable, make sure to switch it off. If you get a deck without that capability, make sure to tape off the speaker leads from the deck.

Another way to do it is use a integration adapter... probably around $40-$60... which is basically a Line output converter designed to work with a bose amp. This wires to the speaker outputs of the new deck, and then to the wires running to the bose amp. It lowers the power of the signal to something the amp can accept. I find the first method I mentioned works better and is cheaper.

If the deck has SUB preouts as well, use them to send sound to the basslink, or whatever sub/amp you choose.

If you change the speakers AND add a new deck, you'll want to run new speaker wires from the deck to the speakers... just to avoid the hassle of bypassing the stock amp.

I dont recomend changing the speakers and powering them off the stock amp... aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms, the bose amp operates at 2 ohms... so the aftermarket speakers actually end up getting HALF the power the stock speaker were getting (which isnt a lot to begin with). Which translates to reduced sound quality, and high listening levels cant be attained without distortion, if at all.

Edit: Link works now.

That deck does have front, rear and sub preouts, with a subwoofer level control. The amp CAN be turned off through the menu. That is a VERY nice deck, I have the older model (7894) in my accord and I love it. Crutchfield has a sale on the older alpine 7995, which is a $600 deck... they have it for $300!! Its a very sweet deck as well, although the silver metalic faceplate dosent appeal to some people... it has NO internal amp, which would work in your case, you'd just need an external amp if you ever changed the speakers.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Master Newbie

I have the
Alpine 9815

The sound is Suweeeet!
Old 11-18-2003, 04:51 PM
The movement has started

good choice with the alpine unit...i would opt for a amp and replace the bose one or directly connect the deck to the stock speakers in my opinion it sound way better the after market amp is the best bet to go but if on a budget run new wires and splice or wire crimp from the deck into the speaker outputs of the amp
Old 11-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by baka_t
directly connect the deck to the stock speakers in my opinion it sound way better the after market amp is the best bet to go but if on a budget run new wires and splice or wire crimp from the deck into the speaker outputs of the amp
The stock speakers are 2 ohms, too low for a headunit amp to handle... you'd be asking for problems.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:31 PM
The movement has started

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
The stock speakers are 2 ohms, too low for a headunit amp to handle... you'd be asking for problems.
well im not exactly sure on the impedance i had mine hooked up to the deck for 8 months before i connected the amp to it no problems what so ever
Old 11-18-2003, 06:05 PM
broke ass fawker

keep the stock speakers...i did and they sound fine...get some bass
Old 11-18-2003, 06:14 PM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i say you go al out and spend 2 G
Old 11-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Suzuka Master

ok, i just got the alpine cda-7897 off from someone w/ a sweet deal. ($200). http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UVGl6vj...p?i=500CDA7897

now i'm really thinking about getting some speakers (6 1/2 and 6x9) to replace the bose speakers. and i'm going to bypass the stock amp. do i need another amp to power the speakers or the HU will handle them fine?

any recommandations for speakers and amp (make and model)? and were should i locate the amp if i should have one? I'm looking to spend somewhere around $300 on this

thanks
Old 11-22-2003, 10:00 PM
The movement has started

I like the way boston acoustics pro's sound a bit costy but well worth it the head unit power should be fine if your running a set of coxials or a lower end componet setup..also depends if your planning on adding a sub ect... the bigger louder sub the louder your midbass and tweeters need to be..as for amps id go with a alpine MRV-F340 if you decide on getting one remember also eventhough the amp mite be rated as a lower wattage then your headunit it will be twice as loud as it...if your on a buget id go with the boston rally componets head unit power should be adiquate for that..