Stinky girl...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Stinky girl...

As a 98 model owner, , I've seen a fair number of issues with my CL. But this one really sucks, blows and stinks...

No this is not a question. I hope to eventually put this in problems and fixes.

Symptomology:
1 - Smell of fuel vapor under the hood and within the interior cabin of the vehicle.
2 - Motor sounding hum from under the hood on the passenger side after ignition is stopped and engine is warm. (key in acc or off)
3 - Slow "hiss" of air being drawn or pushed through a small diamiter orifice.
4 - "Ticking" from under the hood on the driver's side when the weather is cold.

NOTE: S1 was first noticed in November. (first real cold snap in OK)

NOTE: S2 and S3 could be concurent.
* I noticed the hum in September (warm and humid) and it only seemed to occur when the fuel level was bellow half a tank.
* I noticed the hiss when temporatures turned cold. The hum is nolonger occurring.

Diagnostics:
* Willie, my mechanic friend, and I started with the ecu. No codes were found.
* We checked the fuel system hoses, filter fittings, rail, injectors and throttle body for signs of leaking or seeping. No signs were found.
* We then moved to the vacume lines that are part of the EVAP control system. No leaks were detected. Additionally, no fuel was found in the bypass lines or inside the cannister.
* It was noted that one vacume device, the EVAP purge control solenoid, was "ticking" loudly as though it were being pulsed while the car idles.
* It was also noted that the "ticking" is louder when it is below 50 degres Fahrenheit and the fuel smell only occures when the humidity is above 60%.

Further Steps:
I decided to let it fail and see if the computer would kick me a code, but the symptoms went away when dryer air returned. Now the humidity has risen again and the smell is driving me nuts.

I priced both the EVAP cannister vapor shut valve and the EVAP bypass control solenoid. I'm thinking higher humidity is affecting the operation of one of the two solenoids. I hope it is the bypass not the cannister shut valve due to a cost difference of about $70.

I plan to ohm the devices and see if they can be cleaned first. I will keep you guys up-to-date as time and money allows me to do this work.

Peace out,
Old 02-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
wow thats horrid good luck with that
Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Good lord.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the purge solenoid has been a problem with our cars god knows how long....just replace it and that should fix the ticking noise from under the hood. As for the humming noise on the passenger side i have yet to hear that from my CL when I used to own it. I used to have a 97 3.0.