?'s: AWD, bypass valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
?'s: AWD, bypass valve

ok first of all I decided not to get a water bypass valve for my cai because I wasn't too worried about sucking up water since we were in a drought here in colorado. well today there was just a fucking monsoon. There was an intersection that I would see from where I work and there was 3 feet of water!!!! It's a good thing it calmed down before I got off work because I woulcd have had to sit around till the water subdued before I could even leave the parking lot becasut eh water was so deep. I live in a hilly area, so I though tit would never flood that bad, but it's been raining for the past 3 weeks, and I only have a feeling it's going to get worse. Can anybody tell be where I could get a bypass valve, and what the benefits/downfalls of having one are. I know to search on ebay, but what do i search for. I have an Injen CAI for my 3.0 btw.

second question:

I havea buddy that turned his 2002 mitsubishi lancer ES from FWD into an AWD car. I thought this was awesome, because not only did he get hella better traction in teh snow here in colorado, but he also got the best traction when racing. He improved his track times by a full second when he installed that!!! I saw teh slips, so he isn't just BSing me, but he may have done more than that, but he said it was just he AWD "chimmy". My question is: is this possible to do on our CLs? I would love the better traction in teh snow since thie car is a daily driver, and I'd love the better traction/launches for racing .

Can anybody give me some info on this? thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
doing an awd conversion would just be too much trouble/time/not practical
Old 06-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Safety Car

ok so even if it's not a practical thing to do. what would it require to do? Would I have to modify the tranny? engine? axle? I'm not to high in the money department right now, but this is more just so I can know, so when I do come into more money I can see if I want to do it, or if I can.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
ok so even if it's not a practical thing to do. what would it require to do? Would I have to modify the tranny? engine? axle? I'm not to high in the money department right now, but this is more just so I can know, so when I do come into more money I can see if I want to do it, or if I can.
I don't anybody done that here just because on the cost alone. Everything probably would have to be custom made. Unless you can find a car you can do a swap with. But i would subspect that you whould have to replace most of the bottom half of the car. Even on our CLs it not even really two wheels that spin.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Safety Car

yeah, I guessI'll probably just end up getting the dr evil tranny when mine dies so I'll have the LSD. that should be good enough.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Suzuka Master

i don't understand how it can make it faster? you'll probably need a new drivetrain (front axle, rear axle w/ differential, the drive shaft, whatever else). the extra weight would have kill it
Old 06-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Safety Car

well, he did have a turbo pushing about 8 psi before he put it on, so it was probablyt eh fac that the front tires weren't getting as much grip as he needed. He did peel out after he got it and spun his car 90 degrees then the traction caught and he hit another car, what a fool for peeling out for the first time after getting the AWD in traffic. I don't talk to him anymore, but I was just curious about it.

so forget the AWD thing, and somebody tell me some info about teh water bypass.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

you can get the aem bypass on ebay. average about $40 + shipping.

i've been thinking about one myself. but if you're in 3 feet of water, even w/ the stock intake, it won't do any good.

oh and you supposed to lose a few HP w/ the intake. so whatever you gained w/ the cai, you lose it w/ the valve
Old 06-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Safety Car

ok, wel I'll just go without it then. It wasn't 3 feet of water on teh hole road, but it was at the edges, it was about a foot where you drive. So I'll probably say screw the bypass. It doesn't do this too often, so I'll just be careful. What's the point of gettinga CAI anyways, if you get a bypass? The noise?
Old 06-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Ted
Burning Brakes

Nah, you "supposedly" only loose about 1hp with the bypass installed, it doesn't completely negate the gains from the cai. Unless the cai gives 1 hp :P
Old 06-27-2004, 11:50 PM
CL 4 LYFE

If you want an AWD car, then you should get a car that is already AWD to begin with.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:43 AM
RODDYS

first things first, got to TAS auto sports and get an AEM Bypass from them. They will have to you within a week at the latest plus they are cheap and good at backing their stuff up.

Second you would have to custom an AWD to your car, he probably used one of an EVO, so far the first thing with awd would be that new 05 RL, just change it to a rwd you will like it better finda wrecked NSX, or S2000, guys do it on preludes all the time it will work with some fabbing
Old 06-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Safety Car

ur homeboy doesent have awd if he's peeling out w/only 8 lbs of boost. if it was snowing maybee. but on dry pavement or even wet pavement im not buying it...
Old 06-28-2004, 08:47 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
don't worry about a bypass, they aren't really necessary as long as you use common sense
Old 06-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wilp99
ur homeboy doesent have awd if he's peeling out w/only 8 lbs of boost. if it was snowing maybee. but on dry pavement or even wet pavement im not buying it...
WEll it is a manual, so technically he probably just dumped the clutch at like 6k rpms or something. he's the worst shifter so that's probably it.

and YEah, I'm probably not going to get the bypass. I guess it's more or less just for situations where a puddle looks not too deep, but it's a lot deeper than it looks. I'm not stupid, and I guess as stated before I probably shouldn't be driving in water over a foot deep anyways... even without the CAI.

On a similar note. Is it bad if hte muffler tip gets fully submerged in water? I'd think it wouldn't be a problem, but it would just make the engine struggle more right? Or would it suck up any water throughthe exhaust. Some guy said that to me, and I laughed at him becasu the exhaust pipping is learly pushing gas out, so the water wouldn't eb able to get up the piping anwyays... but then I started thinking there might be some factor in there that I don't know about. Can anybody fill me in?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally Posted by ghost_masterCL
WEll it is a manual, so technically he probably just dumped the clutch at like 6k rpms or something. he's the worst shifter so that's probably it.

and YEah, I'm probably not going to get the bypass. I guess it's more or less just for situations where a puddle looks not too deep, but it's a lot deeper than it looks. I'm not stupid, and I guess as stated before I probably shouldn't be driving in water over a foot deep anyways... even without the CAI.

On a similar note. Is it bad if hte muffler tip gets fully submerged in water? I'd think it wouldn't be a problem, but it would just make the engine struggle more right? Or would it suck up any water throughthe exhaust. Some guy said that to me, and I laughed at him becasu the exhaust pipping is learly pushing gas out, so the water wouldn't eb able to get up the piping anwyays... but then I started thinking there might be some factor in there that I don't know about. Can anybody fill me in?
probably not, air comes out of that thing, it would have to go into the cat and up the headers. So you would have to be going to rivers where it be a issue. Then you would be using a land rover with a snorkel.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:19 PM
-S namyaC-

They did make the Euro Accord in an AWD version. The 94-97 suspention parts and the H22 would prob fit right in - but getting the drive shaft to the back would be a diff story.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

the only way water is going to get into the muffler is if u got an exhaust leak at the manifold. or the car is off.