Remote Starter 97 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter 97 3.0

looking into getting a remote starter for my 1997 CL 3.0

Any recommendations on brands??
The thing that I have noticed is that a lot of cars require bypass modules.

Does the 97 require one.
Has anyone installed on before and how difficult was it??
Old 11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
97 does not, as it does not have an immobilizer
Old 11-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Is there a how to for a remote starter
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Instructor

So i decided to go to Best Buy and find out exactly what it would entail. Well the costs would be about $450 with taxes and additional labor.
No a bypass module is not needed, but and here is where the problems lie, the basic installation of a 2way remote (it tells you if the car started if you cant see it) would be only $300. Which isnt bad considering how much it would help me since i work long hours at work and dont need the extra 20 minutes to warm up my car to cut into my sleep time.
But if you want the remote to unlock doors and the trunk, well here is where the extra $100 or so bucks come into play. They did to run extra wiring to under the passenger seat, install a relay then a tilt switch and some other little things that add up.
Once it went over $400 i figured there would be better things to spend that money on.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Jeez, which bby did you go to? You don't HAVE to go under the pass. seat to do the install, it's just easier since all the wiring is there. For an avital 4111 on a CL I would probably charge 200 - 225 at our bay. That's a basic R/S with unlock only. I also probably wouldn't charge more to pull the passenger seat if I was doing the install since it's less work than bending my back to get up inside the dashboard. Would much rather remove 4 seat bolts and sit comfortably.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Instructor

It is a bbuy in South Elgin, IL. The Avital doesnt have 2way. Again I kinda need 2way remote so i know it started from within my windowless building. And it was the trunk release that caused all the problems. Door unlock wasnt a problem, but as we all know with out remote the only way to open the trunk is inside the car. I use my trunk alot to put all my work stuff in before and after work.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Holy hell check the best buy sales paper they have a deal right now. They install a remote starter with unlock features, it's a viper and also comes with the app and such to start your car with your smart phone. It costs like $5 a month. But man worth it I think. IM considering it
Old 11-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tehvine
Jeez, which bby did you go to? You don't HAVE to go under the pass. seat to do the install, it's just easier since all the wiring is there. For an avital 4111 on a CL I would probably charge 200 - 225 at our bay. That's a basic R/S with unlock only. I also probably wouldn't charge more to pull the passenger seat if I was doing the install since it's less work than bending my back to get up inside the dashboard. Would much rather remove 4 seat bolts and sit comfortably.
i installed a viper remote start (9000 series 2-way with the LCD remote) in mine, but i think it's given me problems with the starter. i did the majority of the install under the seat, then fished the remote start relay up through the center console and tapped into the rest in the steering column. I tapped green and purple heavy gauge wires into the black/white stripe wire going out of the starter cut relay. is that the right way to do it?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
6spd FTW

Man, been a while since I did one in a CL. But with a DEI remote start, the purple and green are your starter kill wires. You are supposed to cut the starter wire, which i do believe is black/white. You hook the green to the key side and the purple goes to the engine side. I don't recall the starter kill relay from the factory, but like I said, it's been a while. If there is one of those, you want to go between it and the motor instead of between that relay and the key cylinder. Nothing bad should happen if you have both green and purple hooked together to the starter wire, it's just incorrect and your starter kill function of the viper system is non-functioning. What kind of problems are you having with the starter? Is it physically not engaging when you try to start with the key sometimes? If you just tapped in and didn't cut that wire, you should not be having issues caused by the remote start unless you have a LARGE amount of corrosive atmosphere on an un-soldered and un-taped connection. And even so, that's simply caused by a poor install and can easily be corrected.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

from what my mechanic told me the starter was still spinning after start. it was hooked up just like you said though i did cut the wire and green/purple were connected with yellow butt connectors.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

we need a for sure diy done guys
Old 11-05-2010, 05:54 PM
6spd FTW

Originally Posted by davzilla
from what my mechanic told me the starter was still spinning after start. it was hooked up just like you said though i did cut the wire and green/purple were connected with yellow butt connectors.
It's probably the starter solenoid plunger getting stuck. My CL did that until I took it apart and cleaned it and also replaced the contacts. The only way the R/S would cause the starter to hang would be if you remote started it and it was tachless and set to crank a certain duration... or it was getting a rough tach signal.

But there were several times with my CL where I had to get out and bang the solenoid with the tire iron to get it unstuck until I repaired the contacts. A cleaning will work for a short bit, but what is happening is that as the contacts wear, you get stronger and hotter arcing on the plunger. Sometimes only a small portion makes contact and it is welding itself to the other contacts, causing the starter hang.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tehvine
It's probably the starter solenoid plunger getting stuck. My CL did that until I took it apart and cleaned it and also replaced the contacts. The only way the R/S would cause the starter to hang would be if you remote started it and it was tachless and set to crank a certain duration... or it was getting a rough tach signal.

But there were several times with my CL where I had to get out and bang the solenoid with the tire iron to get it unstuck until I repaired the contacts. A cleaning will work for a short bit, but what is happening is that as the contacts wear, you get stronger and hotter arcing on the plunger. Sometimes only a small portion makes contact and it is welding itself to the other contacts, causing the starter hang.
well i have been starting the car at least a dozen times a day for the last 3yrs. guess that wears out starters much faster. that makes sense though