Rear clunking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 02:27 PM
...if I had the money.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear clunking noise...

hey all, i just finished installing a set of Prokits and Koni Sports on my car. Ive taken it out for about 20 miles of "evaluation" . With the windows up, i can hear a clunking noise coming from both the left and right rear corners. it only happens when i hit a pothole or other quick, sharp bump. it sounds like something is loose up top, but i double checked all torques before i drove the car. i have all the rubber spring seats in, which makes me scratch my head even more. maybe the new units need to settle in...?? ill see if it gets worse in the next few days...

btw, im very pleased with performance! the drop looks great, the new springs are comfortable yet very responsive at higher speeds...ill turn up the Konis in a few days and really give them a test.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:09 PM
...if I had the money.

oh yeah, a little tip to all of you thinking of getting Koni Sports for your 2.2: the Koni adjustment knob will not fit on the front left shock once installed. the front swaybar on my 2.2 gets in the way. i suppose you could always use a pair of pliers to adjust it, though. maybe the 3.0 and 2.3 are different, but i doubt it. check before you buy and get everything ready for installation on a saturday morning!
Old 07-04-2004, 11:35 PM
xxx
Racer

mine did that too and it was the brake dust guards rubbing against rotors. The shop just pushed them back a bit so they dont rub. I hope that helps.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:40 PM
...if I had the money.

do you have any idea how the brake dust shields got pushed in such a position? it sounds like something might be hitting that shield, now that you mention it. it just sounds like too solid of a thump to be dush shield on rotor noise...
Old 07-06-2004, 03:06 AM
xxx
Racer

dunno the sound i had was a metal scraping noise everytime i hit a bump. Sorry gotta hear the sound yur car is making.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:28 AM
Suzuka Master

i have the same noise when i go over bumps. and i'm using prokit and tokico shocks. sounds exactly like what's happening w/ your. but i haven't taken the car back to them yet. maybe you should take it back and have your installer to look at it. let me know what you found out
Old 07-06-2004, 08:01 AM
...if I had the money.

Originally Posted by Chinisimo
maybe you should take it back and have your installer to look at it. let me know what you found out
i was brave and installed it myself...im just gonna look underneath in a day or so and look for scrapes/marks to tell me whats hitting what. ill let you know if i find anything.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:25 PM
...if I had the money.

Well, its been about 200 miles with the noise. I looked underneath last night and couldnt see any evidence of anything banging into something else. Could it be possible that the noise is from the spring binding up on itself and the coils banging each other? Either way, its very frustrating.

I am also curious to find out if any of you ran into the same problem as me when installing new springs and/or shocks:
I tore up my rear left lower shock bushing from its housing in the hub knuckle while trying to remove the stock assembly. The lower shock bolt WOULD NOT MOVE after like 30 min of wrench pounding and twisting with a loooong wrench and soaking with penetrant. Finally I heated up the welded nut and it broke free from the nut...but took the core of the bushing with it. Apparently it was rusted or bonded somehow to the metal sleeve inside the bushing. Biggest pain in the ass, especially when youve already done all 3 other corners and are anxious to get out and drive the car. I finished the job anyway, and the torn bushing hasnt budged since. I wonder if a new bushing like this can only be replaced at a shop somewhere...?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:47 PM
10th Gear

I bet that it's your lower strut mount bushing. I just did exactly what you did eibach and yellows. I had to change the bushing it was in bad shape after trying to get the strut bolt off.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:21 AM
...if I had the money.

That was my guess but the strange thing is it happens on both sides. I only tore up the rear left bushing, and the rear right bushing is OK. That would make me think that it would only happen on the left, if at all.

Did you change out the bushing yourself?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:24 PM
10th Gear

No I had someone do it for me, I dont have a shop handy.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:28 PM
AWD Torque Monster

i have the same prob with my prokits and koni yellows. i replaced both lower and upper shock bushings and coil spring pads. it only happens on the passenger side. im thinking its the jack. since the my setup is way firmer then stock i think the extar force is moving the jack around. you can only tighten it so much. im too lazy to take it out and see if it still does it. i though it was the sway bar on my exhuast but i checked already. no evidence of hitting
Old 07-09-2004, 08:02 AM
...if I had the money.

The...jack?? Do you mean the black dirt "jacket" that covers the shaft of the shock?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:20 AM
AWD Torque Monster

Originally Posted by lemansteve
The...jack?? Do you mean the black dirt "jacket" that covers the shaft of the shock?

i mean the oem jack to change ur spare
Old 07-09-2004, 10:05 AM
...if I had the money.

Oh, oops! Yeah i thought it might be the jack too, so I removed it along with the jumper cables and jack tools, but the clunking was still there. What a pain this is...
Old 07-16-2004, 10:24 AM
...if I had the money.

Updating the progress on the clunking noise:

So I looked under my car again last night and noticed some slight paint wear on the bottom of the rear shock bodies. The wear point was directly above the ridge on the bushing housing. This led me to believe that the stock bushing is too weak for the new spring and shock and is flexing to the point where the housing hits the bottom of the shock. So I double-face taped some rubber in there to see if it fixed it. Nope! I guess the bushing doesnt flex THAT much with the new suspension. I suppose the paint was chipped off when I was aligning the bushing and shock during installation.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:40 PM
roomate has a CL too

open your trunk passthrough while you are driving and see if you can locate where the sound is coming from. Could be the you installed the bushings upsidedown or something in the rear so there is extra space on the the rod of the koni... Dunno happened with my rear drivers side we installed the bushing upsidedown and then there was to much travel and the shock was moving around and made a big thud... your problem could be entirely different though.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:43 PM
AWD Torque Monster

i still get aclunk on the passenger side after taking th ejack out. it has to be something with my exhuast hitting sometthing becuase i have no probs on the other side. it must be hitting somewhere.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Comrade Stalin

I have the same clunk on my rear passenger, and to a lesser extent on the driver's side. Annoying as hell and sounds bad, but so far it hasn't affected anything. I'm beweildered as to what the noise is, and I've never found an answer on this or any other board. Let us know if you guys figure it out.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:44 AM
8th Gear

I have the exact same noise coming from my driver's side rear, but I have stock everything so go figure. Sounds like some piece of metal is loose and is banging on another piece of metal everytime I hit a sharp bump....
Old 07-25-2004, 01:07 PM
...if I had the money.

im going to call Eibach about this, but I am beginning to think it is the spring coils banging into each other. they are packed alot tighter at the top than the stock springs, esp. when installed. thats all i can think of at this point.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:23 AM
4th Gear

I just got mine on the road and have the banging on the right rear (mostly when backing over a small curb at the driveway). Sounds like a loose shock bolt, but it isn't because I have checked everything several times. I suspect it's the coils touching each other. There is a rubber hose kit to slip on the coils made by Honda. Does anybody know about this part? I really need to silence this because it sounds like a junker lol.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173473

Check out this thread, could def help u

Thanks for searching btw
Old 06-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Well, its been about 200 miles with the noise. I looked underneath last night and couldnt see any evidence of anything banging into something else. Could it be possible that the noise is from the spring binding up on itself and the coils banging each other? Either way, its very frustrating.

I am also curious to find out if any of you ran into the same problem as me when installing new springs and/or shocks:
I tore up my rear left lower shock bushing from its housing in the hub knuckle while trying to remove the stock assembly. The lower shock bolt WOULD NOT MOVE after like 30 min of wrench pounding and twisting with a loooong wrench and soaking with penetrant. Finally I heated up the welded nut and it broke free from the nut...but took the core of the bushing with it. Apparently it was rusted or bonded somehow to the metal sleeve inside the bushing. Biggest pain in the ass, especially when youve already done all 3 other corners and are anxious to get out and drive the car. I finished the job anyway, and the torn bushing hasnt budged since. I wonder if a new bushing like this can only be replaced at a shop somewhere...?
You do know that only one side of that bolt turns right? The other side is welded to the shock.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Matt

Black is always on top of his game! This seems to be your problem and from the looks of that thread, $6 could be your solution.

Just noticed that this is a 2 year old thread.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
Black is always on top of his game! This seems to be your problem and from the looks of that thread, $6 could be your solution.

Just noticed that this is a 2 year old thread.
Thanks I try
Old 06-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Instructor

would really like to know if this fix your problem, cause i'm having the same problem and it might cost me $350 to fix it. Got a sound coming from the rear, sounds like a bowling ball in the trunk when i go over bumps. And on every right turn i hear a poping sound from the left rear.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered these and only two came in so far. I installed one on each side and no help so far. Anxiously waiting to get the other two.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Racer

Send it back.. I have Eibach Prokits and Tokico Illumina and no new noises. I did get the bushings replaced at the bottoms of the struts though.

But they won't do anything about it if you don't complain.

Originally Posted by Chinisimo
i have the same noise when i go over bumps. and i'm using prokit and tokico shocks. sounds exactly like what's happening w/ your. but i haven't taken the car back to them yet. maybe you should take it back and have your installer to look at it. let me know what you found out
Old 07-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Racer

If you say it's from the trunk and not from underneath there's a dual bar right under where the 6x9 speakers are, it's been giving me a lot of trouble

Originally Posted by qstorm78
would really like to know if this fix your problem, cause i'm having the same problem and it might cost me $350 to fix it. Got a sound coming from the rear, sounds like a bowling ball in the trunk when i go over bumps. And on every right turn i hear a poping sound from the left rear.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Racer

These bushings always seize.. I had them changed out for an extra $220 but that isn't a DIY job in my mind. The parts were only $10 each for Acura rubber, they said no reason to use polyurethane in this case

Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Im No Superman

Ive lived w/ the clunking noise the whole time.. Im starting to cringe when I hear the noise.. I think its time for the silencers