Please help with acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 07:53 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Please help with acceleration problem

I hate rain. I hate rain. I hate rain. Especially when it pours like a mofo. I also have the idiotic mayor of NYC who wants to build a stadim instead of fix the city like its drainage system. Anyways, I drove thru a foot or more of water. 15 minutes later the car has trouble accelerating. At about 2000/3000 rpm it feels like it wont gas up anymore untill you do then it revs too high then it moves. This is present on each gear. My first guess is the transmission because in neutral the car revs fine. My clutch is one month old but i dont know. This problem came up after the downpour. I decided to wait till tomorrow morning and see if it persists. Anyone have any suggestions on whats going on.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:58 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds like clutch slippage?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:02 PM
ahnyoung!

u have CAI?? cause that could be the problem also = ) got water inside ure engine
Old 07-06-2005, 08:03 PM
One custom CL

I'm sure the water can penetrate into the clutch, therefore I'm pretty sure water got in there. It should dry fine right?
First car in 5speed. Pardon the obvious questions.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:05 PM
One custom CL

Originally Posted by bebop.fey
u have CAI?? cause that could be the problem also = ) got water inside ure engine
Engine revs fine in neutral. Also if i got water in my engine wouldn't it stall?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned

definitely gear slippage, the water should dry up fine just give it time...

correct me if im wrong, i drive an auto lol
Old 07-06-2005, 08:13 PM
One custom CL

CAI if fine. Just ran to the car and checked. Its dry. I even removed the filter and looked inside the pipe.

Gear slippage? Wouln't gear slippage be reving rpm and not going no where. I'm feeling, pedaling gas and not reving untill it just revs too much.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Racer

I'm encountering a similar problem. My tranny has been acting up for a while now. I'll feel the gears slip every once in a while. It sort of feels like it there's a few second lag, then it kicks and the gear catches. Well today, it's out of control. From a stop I start to accelerate very slowly, and the gears slip right away. What's worse is now, somewhere around 2000 RPM when I'm accelerating slowly the engine revs to about 4000-5000 RPM by itself then jolts really bad, I guess as the gears catch and then drops back down to 2000-3000 RPM.

This is starting to worry me, as I've known about our faulty tranny. Did most of you guys get a new tranny, or have it rebuilt? Those of you that had it rebuilt, did this help?

I'm getting married in 2 months, the last thing I need is to dumpa couple grand on a new tranny.

Please Help.

-Erik
Old 07-06-2005, 09:51 PM
One custom CL

Originally Posted by ebednarz
I'm encountering a similar problem. My tranny has been acting up for a while now. I'll feel the gears slip every once in a while. It sort of feels like it there's a few second lag, then it kicks and the gear catches. Well today, it's out of control. From a stop I start to accelerate very slowly, and the gears slip right away. What's worse is now, somewhere around 2000 RPM when I'm accelerating slowly the engine revs to about 4000-5000 RPM by itself then jolts really bad, I guess as the gears catch and then drops back down to 2000-3000 RPM.

This is starting to worry me, as I've known about our faulty tranny. Did most of you guys get a new tranny, or have it rebuilt? Those of you that had it rebuilt, did this help?

I'm getting married in 2 months, the last thing I need is to dumpa couple grand on a new tranny.

Please Help.

-Erik

My problem doesnt sound quite like yours. I'm gasing it and the rpm isn't going anywhere untill I gas it too much then it revs too high.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Racer

Gotcha.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Erick,
I am sad to say, you are gonna join the 2nd transimission club. Mine did exactly what you are talking about. Just kept getting worse until 4th was gone, 3rd was going and it was eratic shifting from 2nd to 3rd when going slow. The first time I noticed it, I was passing on the interstate and when it went to return from 3rd to 4th, the RPMs jumped to around 6K and then locked up to return to around 3.8K... I was doing around 90mph when it shifted into 4th. l was doing around 75mph when I dropped into 3rd for the pass. Mine was replaced with a remanufactured transmission for $2000 almost one year ago.

SupraManAG,
As for acceleration, My guess is that your Throttle Position Sensor might be impropperly reporting to the ECU. Actually, it could be any number of sensors. Is the ECU giving a code? The EMI may not be lit on the dash, but the computer could have a code. Use an Ohms tester and check the various sensors for propper signal. Check IAC, MAP, BARO, TPS, O2, and EGR valve solinoid. Also check for cracked or loose vacume lines.

-Good luck.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by bebop.fey

If it was water his engine wouldn't be running anymore.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ajtcl
Erick,
I am sad to say, you are gonna join the 2nd transimission club. Mine did exactly what you are talking about. Just kept getting worse until 4th was gone, 3rd was going and it was eratic shifting from 2nd to 3rd when going slow. The first time I noticed it, I was passing on the interstate and when it went to return from 3rd to 4th, the RPMs jumped to around 6K and then locked up to return to around 3.8K... I was doing around 90mph when it shifted into 4th. l was doing around 75mph when I dropped into 3rd for the pass. Mine was replaced with a remanufactured transmission for $2000 almost one year ago.

Man, sucks. I'm pissed right now. So the $2000 was for a rebuilt tranny? How much can I expect for a brand new tranny, installed? If I'm gonna pay $2000 for a rebuild, I rather pay $4000 if that's what it'll cost for a brand new tranny, unless, the rebuild will last me several years.

Any Northern NJ guys here, know any good tranny mechanics? I'm taking my car to my father's good friend who's worked on Jap. cars for years. I'll see what he recommends tomorrow evening.

-Erik
Old 07-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

This was remanufactured. A rebuild uses the same parts from the original transmission, a remanufacture is a cleaned hulk with new internals. Mine was remanufactured. and if you are gonna spend $4000, why not go bullet-proof with Dr. Evil? that will run you around $5,000 with shipping and install.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Racer

Now that I did a little more research, I wouldn't mind spending $2000 for a remanufactured one. Was your remanufactured one bought from the Honda/Acura factory itself, or did someone do it for you? If it did come from Honda/Acura, was there a warranty?
Old 07-07-2005, 02:55 PM
One custom CL

I have a auto 2.2 tranny for $300. Great working condition.
I drove the car today and it was fine. I think the clutch got wet but now it seems fine.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Racer

So, lunch time, I brought my car to my mechanic (long time friend of the family). He's been working on foreign cars, especially Japanese cars for years, so I trust him.

Anyway, he's ordering me a remanufactured transmission directly from Honda/Acura. It's gonna cost me $1350 for the tranny and he's only gonna charge me $200 for labor. So for $1550, I'm VERY HAPPY.

-Erik
Old 07-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

So, lunch time, I brought my car to my mechanic (long time friend of the family). He's been working on foreign cars, especially Japanese cars for years, so I trust him.

Anyway, he's ordering me a remanufactured transmission directly from Honda/Acura. It's gonna cost me $1350 for the tranny and he's only gonna charge me $200 for labor. So for $1550, I'm VERY HAPPY.

-Erik
That is about what it is... I paid a little more for the labor, but the transmission was shipped from Acura in the same manner. I do wish I could have scored the Dr. Evil with kevlar clutch packs. Bad ass shit that kevlar. Oh well, My first ATF change with the new transmission will be in September. I hope it still works after the fluid change. LOL I'm sure it will be fine. Just stay ontop of the maint schedule.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Racer

Of course with my GREAT LUCK, I get screwed again. I had a feeling it was too good to be true.

Turns out, he can't get the tranny from Acura, cause they are saying they don't sell them anymore. You have to go through the dealer. BS. So I called the dealer and found out they can't buy directly from the manufacturer because the manufacturer doesn't do rebuilds anymore. They use Howard Engineering in CA. So I called Howard and by mistake, they thought I was a dealer/shop owner so they gave me dealer/shop onwer cost on the tranny.

So to make a long story short, I ended up calling one more mechanic who I completely forgot about. He's my close friend's cousin and has actually done some work to my car. He deals with Jasper (which is the nation's largest remanufacturer of gas and diesel engines, transmissions, etc., according to their website). He also calls another Acura dealer which tells him that they CAN get a tranny from American Honda, but the warranty only covers parts and not parts and labor. So I'm gonna have this mechanic replace my tranny with one from Jasper. I'm getting a 36 mo./75,000 mi. warranty on parts and labor.

His cost is $2500 for the tranny and he's charging me $3000 installed. Not what I wanted to spend, but what am I gonna do. Oh well.

Now I'm part of the 2nd Tranny Club. NICE.

-Erik
Old 07-08-2005, 03:34 PM
One custom CL

Of course with my GREAT LUCK, I get screwed again. I had a feeling it was too good to be true.

Turns out, he can't get the tranny from Acura, cause they are saying they don't sell them anymore. You have to go through the dealer. BS. So I called the dealer and found out they can't buy directly from the manufacturer because the manufacturer doesn't do rebuilds anymore. They use Howard Engineering in CA. So I called Howard and by mistake, they thought I was a dealer/shop owner so they gave me dealer/shop onwer cost on the tranny.

So to make a long story short, I ended up calling one more mechanic who I completely forgot about. He's my close friend's cousin and has actually done some work to my car. He deals with Jasper (which is the nation's largest remanufacturer of gas and diesel engines, transmissions, etc., according to their website). He also calls another Acura dealer which tells him that they CAN get a tranny from American Honda, but the warranty only covers parts and not parts and labor. So I'm gonna have this mechanic replace my tranny with one from Jasper. I'm getting a 36 mo./75,000 mi. warranty on parts and labor.

His cost is $2500 for the tranny and he's charging me $3000 installed. Not what I wanted to spend, but what am I gonna do. Oh well.

Now I'm part of the 2nd Tranny Club. NICE.

-Erik
Do you own a 2.2 or 3.0? Automatic?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SupraManAG
Do you own a 2.2 or 3.0? Automatic?

Old 07-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Racer

WOW! WOW! WOW!

What a freakin difference. Picked up my car this afternoon and it's amazing what a new (reman.) tranny feels like. It shifts so smoothly, I feel like I'm driving a new car. Not feeling as bad anymore for spending $3000.

Anyway, thought I'd share my excitement.

Also, my mechanic uses Jasper to get his reman. trannies from. They seem to be the largest remanufacturing company in the nation. Anyone else have any experience with them. They seem to be very reliable according to my mechanic (who's a relative of my close friend, so he wouldn't BS me). I now have a 36 month, 75,000K mile warranty. Not bad.

-Erik