oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil change question

So ive had my car for a couple months now and since i got it i been putting in synthetic blend oil. Every 3,000 miles or 3 months. But this past oil change I went to a different place and the guy was explaining to me how "synthetic blend oil" is just a gimmick to make more money, like you think your getting a somewhat synthetic oil but it really doesnt make a difference and they're just charging you more for it. So he's like we use good oil here anywayz. So we dont carry synthetic blend only synthetic and non-synthetic. The synthetic was like 55.00 and I'm kinda cheeep so I went with the regular oil for like 20.00. My question is if you change the oil your putting in your from synthetic blend to just normal oil is that bad?? And can i still just keep using normal oil for every 3k miles? i have 60k miles on my car. Is the regular oil fine now or next time go back to synthetic blend? thankz
Old 07-16-2003, 09:11 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: oil change question

Originally posted by r0dxx
So ive had my car for a couple months now and since i got it i been putting in synthetic blend oil. Every 3,000 miles or 3 months. But this past oil change I went to a different place and the guy was explaining to me how "synthetic blend oil" is just a gimmick to make more money, like you think your getting a somewhat synthetic oil but it really doesnt make a difference and they're just charging you more for it. So he's like we use good oil here anywayz. So we dont carry synthetic blend only synthetic and non-synthetic. The synthetic was like 55.00 and I'm kinda cheeep so I went with the regular oil for like 20.00. My question is if you change the oil your putting in your from synthetic blend to just normal oil is that bad?? And can i still just keep using normal oil for every 3k miles? i have 60k miles on my car. Is the regular oil fine now or next time go back to synthetic blend? thankz
You should really change your type of oil too much. My mechanic friend said , whatever oil the maker recommends is good enough. Don't go synthetic one time, then reg, then blend etc. Be consistent.

But you will get longer life from synthetic and blends. If you still want to change ur oil at 3000, it might not make a difference if you are using synethic or not. The filter filters out the nasty chunks from the oil, the reason Y you have to change it is because the oil starts to break down from the heat and some stuff passes thru the oil filter that it can't catch.

Oh there is kinda of a myth that if u switch from reg oil to synthetic oil that your engine seals might leak on an older engine. I found out that only happens because u might already have a leak and oil that leaked out from the reg oil hardens and blocks the leak. Then when u switch to syn type it might knock the crude out and start leaking.

www.amsoil.com, they make really good synthetic oil and claim you can use it for 6 months at a time with their dual filter system. I know a couple of the guys here uses amsoil and swears by it. I on the another hand is too cheap to do it, lol.