O.b.c.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.b.c.

I went to an autozone because forum members here said they do a free diagnostic check since the usual problem is the O2 sensor. Well, I have a 97 3.0 CL and 2 of the guys there couldn't even find my O.B.C. (on board computer) plug to hook up the machine so I just left, I don't want someone who doesn't know my car messing around. Oh and by the way, where is the plug in so I can see what code the Check Engine light is regestering. Thanks in advance because I want to get this checked out and fixed. I won't go back to that autozone either even when I know
Old 05-21-2003, 05:03 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would check it yourself, autozone does do it but they are not all the time acurate with there reader. get niedjeb's page and he has instruction on how to check it yourself, once i learned this easy way, i never took my car to the dealer again
Old 05-21-2003, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

hey that plug is behind the ashtray,

vua lah...
Old 05-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Advanced

What does code "80" mean I have to fix?

I did the shorting the plug thing and figured out which code is posting to the O.B.C. It is "80" which is Exhaust Gas Recirculation Insufficient Flow. Now I just have to figure out what exactly means. Anyone can help me out here?
Old 05-22-2003, 05:15 PM
TL 3.2

That's the same code I have. I think that means carbon build up in your hoses. I am going to midas to get it clean. Am I right everyone?
Old 05-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Advanced

You sure about that diagnosis??

Originally posted by Dreamdtt2000
That's the same code I have. I think that means carbon build up in your hoses. I am going to midas to get it clean. Am I right everyone?
Do you know for sure if that is what it really is? If so how much is that suppose to cost? I was thinking it was an O2 sensor, and they run about $180-$200. Which code tells you the O2 Sensor is bad? I looked at the list and I can guess a little, but I'm no expert. I wonder if niedjeb thought about putting a column for what the code "means" in real terms next to the code. Like for the code "80" what possible problems it could mean. Kinda like when you have a F.A.Q. trouble shooting guide if you have any problems with electronic equipment. (i.e. Problem:No power| Solution: Check unit is plugged in) kinda of a basic idea...but a better. Just my thoughts......

Dreamdtt2000, When you go to Midas, let me know how much that costs....I would be curious....thanks in advance.....laterzz....
Old 05-23-2003, 08:53 PM
TL 3.2

It cost 179.00. The code is for the egr valve. Auto zone did a test for me for free. It was the egr valve. BUT when I bought it and installed it the check engine light came back on and the code 80 was back on. So it wasn't the egr valve my cousin work on cars and told me it was carbon build up in the vacum hose or something like that.