A Newbie and his '97 CL

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 11:05 AM
Flyin' Under the Radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Newbie and his '97 CL

Hi Gang,

I'm a newbie, so I'll read the FAQs, review the postings before asking much more of ya. However, I wanted to give you all the rundown of my CL and get any thoughts about what I want to do with it.

It's a '97 CL 2.2 5-speed (Dark Red). Bought it from my best friend (he replaced it with a Mini Cooper). He bought the CL new (I was the one that urged him to get it), and has maintained it by the book for all of the 97,000 miles he put on it (with all reciepts). It looks like a 50k mile car, and he only asked $4000 for it.

My plan is to attempt somewhat of a Euro approach, which I think might be a little different. Being almost 38, I'm not sure I could pull off the low-rider approach. I've looked at pics in the gallery and I'm getting ideas, but here is what I would like to do....

Exterior - WW Type-R spoiler, metal mesh chrome grille (like in the Jag Type-R, 17'' wheels, mild window tint, de-badge it, PIAA HID driving lights.
Engine - CAI or short tube, headers and exhaust with some underhood detailing. Also will need to replace the clutch soon, and I want to do a Centerforce clutch.
Suspension - Would love to do coil-overs to lower it 1.5'' at will, and raise it for the winter to normal ride height. Will be keeping the stock wheels and Blizzak tires for the winter.
Interior - Re-cover the seats in new leather and dark gray cloth inserts, back seats to match as well as door panels. Short throw shifter, Momo shift boot and knob, replace the wood trim with brushed aluminum. XM Radio too.
Brakes - Cross drilled front, solid disc rear.
I'm also rather handy with moulding and laying up fiberglass, so I am thinking about a diffuser for under the car.

That's as far as I've gotten. Thanks to all of you in advance for all the help and guidance.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:46 PM
CAFFEINE SLAVE

Welcome Dan

Sounds like you've got some good stuff planned
Old 12-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

I say do an engine swap to a prelude engine (h22) and suspension mods first.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:49 PM
A-CL Member

Welcome! Nice to find another 'old man' here who isn't looking for a low-rider but stills wants to good handling. I've read lots of posts from people unhappy with coilovers. H&R makes "OE Springs" that only lower the car .75" to 1" - not too much but an improvement over stock. I'm think I'm going that route with Tokico HP shocks next spring.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Flyin' Under the Radar

Would love to do a swap, and I'll look into how it's done, keeping my eye out for an H22 motor. I gotta keep her as a daily driver for a while, as I have a 400 horsepower 4.0 liter V8 in my 2300 pound MGB-GT that gives me my power fix;-)
Old 12-09-2002, 02:29 PM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, you got a good deal on the CL.

Congrats.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:44 PM
Flyin' Under the Radar

Thanks! My friend wanted the car to go to someone who will take care of it, so the price was certainly right.

I know it has Tokico shocks on it, but those springs sound like perfect springs. I'd love to have the car lower, but Michigan roads are pure crap.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:02 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DJSynicalDan
Thanks! My friend wanted the car to go to someone who will take care of it, so the price was certainly right.

I know it has Tokico shocks on it, but those springs sound like perfect springs. I'd love to have the car lower, but Michigan roads are pure crap.
I had the same theory on coilover, so i could get the best of both worlds. A 1 and .75 inch drop is not noticable, IMO go with the prokit, like most the people on the forum, they are great. 1.4 inch drop, just enought to be noticed, still not being a low rider, no camber correction either. I have a question for all of you guys. How much can you get a decent condition 97 2.2 for?? My gf needs a new car, a new car, and seeing as it is still a CL, she cant go wrong. Her initials are CL too!