New CL for everyone to see

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:14 AM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
No offense but those pictures are probably one of the dirtiest installs I have seen. Stuff like that I don't even attempt to clean up in my shop, it's a teardown and rebuild... Frankly with the interior damage in the car I would probably turn it away for liability issues. But I would be interested to see how it looks all finished, quite an impressive amount of equipment in there. Not too often you see people with enough balls to put super tweeters in the car. Most people want to keep their hearing. Also yellow tops are deep cycle not the red tops, you have it confused. Red = OEM Optima replacement, Yellow = Deep Cycle heavy duty, Blue = Marine
Old 06-25-2008, 10:53 AM
1999 CL3.0

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"the fetzer valve is not located up there!"

"Oh, I know, I was just trying to get a bird's eye view."

and nonetheless its a 97.

If you take all of that bullshit out, save the mmatts amp and get a 98/99 center

you might gain some respect.

Flip out TVs with a Yao Ming shifter are the werst.

step it up sonny.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Land of Pleasant Living

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LocoCoco
Where do the groceries go?

In highschool I had a buddy who had a wooden box just like that in his closet with bright light coming through the cracks. I'm not positive, but I guess he was raising crickets or grasshoppers or something in there...
grass something..
Old 06-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Tehvine
Also yellow tops are deep cycle not the red tops, you have it confused. Red = OEM Optima replacement, Yellow = Deep Cycle heavy duty, Blue = Marine
Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
i gots me a yellow top
Old 06-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Guitarded

Wow, that's a lot of stuff.

Why do you need that many TVs in your car?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:55 PM
i like acura

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter
Drivers Side Kick Panel

Custom fiberglass back deck

Another view of back deck with tweeter and hole for mid

i would be embarassed to have all that wood showing, if your gonna spend the money on screens and playstation, you might want it to look nice.

its fiberglass? it looks like wood to me?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:14 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
To be honest... I wouldn't even want to steal your stuff. Please please post pics up of it at least finished or please finish it so I can sleep tonight, this poor CL is stuck in my thoughts all day. Seriously has been bothering me all day. For starters I would take those amps off the box before you murder them with vibration. Clean up the wiring and maybe carpet the box? I think if you did just basic clean up and organization, it would look 100 times better.

You can probably just make 2 amp walls to the left and right of the box which can both support the amps, hide the mess of wiring (if making wiring look nice is not your thing), and conceal the batteries. The only thing is, I think with our trunks, you will have interference issues with the trunk supports / hinges.

Long time ago I helped a friend do his altima and in the trunk we had to build out slots where the hinges would move through, just used rubber flaps to fill the gap. Wish I had pictures since his trunk was just as crowded as yours but not nearly as messy. Had 4 12" Type-X's and 5 amps(4 alpine PDX-1000, 1 Alpine F450 (i think)), Also had enough room to get the 3 yellow tops and 6 1Farad caps hidden within the walls and spare tire well. Also ran a bit of overkill to the front, 00awg and a 180amp alternator. This was all built with 3/4" MDF for structures and 1" MDF for the boxes(2).

I really just want to know what you were thinking when installing that behemoth in the trunk.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:15 PM
W WHIP.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He was thinking that he wont have to lower his car since the box will weigh it down enough. like, that thing HAS to be heavy.

i really hope he finished this project and everything is no longer everywhere. Like theres even a copper wire running over the back seats, all you have to do is slide the wire inbetween the seat and the wall and theres a opening for you to run that wire.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Pro

I think this CL is badass. Fuck all the haters; this guy did some work himself and made his 10+ year old car into something different than the rest of the people on this site. It's pretty easy to point out the imperfections of another man's custom work from behind your computer screen. Sure it needs some work, but god damn it must be loud.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 AM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ummmmmmmm , i hope it looks a lot better now, cuz i agree with all the other people on here that the setup looks ugly as hell . If it's cleaned up i guess it could work, it just seems like a whole bunch of ramdom components put together. 4 kicker cvr's?............i think if audio was the only thing i was after i might want to spend a little more than 60 dollar subs, especially if they're gonna take up the whole trunk. And a jensen HU......i never knew that they had good sound quality????... i mean if you're gonna fill your car full of audio, i'd try and get a better headunit to run all of it. and i dunno anyone who wouldn't be able to notice those huge ass kick panels when they get into your car....so even if it's cleaned up i feel sorry for that cl.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:34 AM
smr cl_s

Originally Posted by Blenz
I think this CL is badass. Fuck all the haters; this guy did some work himself and made his 10+ year old car into something different than the rest of the people on this site. It's pretty easy to point out the imperfections of another man's custom work from behind your computer screen. Sure it needs some work, but god damn it must be loud.
i rather have my car look good and be quiet than have my car screaming ugly
Old 06-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Instructor

I def want to hear it. I gather the whole car shakes, and even some people around you, when its cranked up? Now when ever i listen to that song "king kong" i am going to think of your car.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:51 AM
-:-Jenn - O - Cide-:-

Needs work. But don't be discouraged!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Acuraholic!

sorry but why???? Why u do that with that CL??? why???
Old 06-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Racer

whew. man that was a pain. anyways the total cost on the audio was 62.50 for each 12" kicker cvr. $40-80 per tweeter. 60-100 per mid speaker. material for box was $200. wiring was $300. Back deck was $100 in material. Rolls of dynamat cost $150. mmats amp was 350 intially and then $200 for mmats to check over and make brand new. 150 for the hifonics. 250 for the jensen flip out dvd. some stuff i aqcuired from doing swaps and things like that. These pics are from 6 months ago. I'm sorry my car isnt up to the forum standard. I guess this was the wrong place for me to go. There are no random holes in my car there are speakers and other crap to go there. Yes my interior is dirty. Yes my car is dirty. Im not a woman. And the back trunk is covered with vinyl to hide all wiring. To each his own I guess. Maybe Ill make a drag racer like some of you with my "luxury" car.
im spending more on one sub than you are your whole ten speaker stereo. if youre so concerned with the fact that the cl is a "luxury car", maybe you should go for quality and not quantity. you have more speakers than you would ever need, and all of the speakers you do have are shitty.

luxury means nice. nice doesnt mean random wholes all over your car. fix the damage before you spend more money on a shitty stereo.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Ballin' on a budget

Mad props for the do it yourself attitude...
Old 06-29-2008, 04:39 PM
hmm...

Well, there is absolutly no "forum standard" to live up to. What we are saying is if you're going to go all stereo, then do it. My single Type X and set of components will easily sound better than all that crap, whilst still looking good. This forum does have a general attitude, and that is moderation. Don't overdo things with body kits or 800 pieces of stereo equipment. You have some fantastic ideas with your car...I LOVE the look of the two speakers in the back seat, but finish it, don't leave bare wood! Get a set or two of good componets, good amps, and a good sub or two...All you honestly need is the will to finish what you've started, and don't think that more is better.

After saying all that, here's what I'm forced to say. Do whatever the hell you want, as long as you like it. Just keep in mind that I think you're going to be happier if you finish what you've started.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:56 PM
For Life

i fail to see how hifonics or mmats are crap amps. Been to car audio show this decade?? if you think that you know ZERO about car audio. Been to car audio show this decade?? and emminence are loud speakers for that purpose only. btw im sorry 972.2 that youre getting ripped off on your one speaker. I hope it gives blow jobs at that price. Unless youre buying RE Audio XXX's you dont impress me. I used to work for a car audio shop that gave me over 60% off with warranties on everything I bought. Good luck with your $peaker$, my bad $peaker, I know that everyone cant get deals on everything they buy. I can. I finished this project months back dumbasses. learn to read. those were the only pictures i had. borrowed a camera from a neighbor so everyone will SHUT UP. My car needs paint and thats it. HID's will be here tomm. as well as the led lights to convert the interior lights and new headers and intake will be here soon. The hole next to the 2 speakers is there for the port. It is part of the box. It uses the back window like a hatch to make it LOUD. 148 DB loud. Thats what my car is for. DB's

Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
W WHIP.

Can we see finished pictures when you get that camera, asap? please and thank you.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:16 PM
hmm...

i fail to see how hifonics or mmats are crap amps. Been to car audio show this decade?? if you think that you know ZERO about car audio. Been to car audio show this decade?? and emminence are loud speakers for that purpose only. btw im sorry 972.2 that youre getting ripped off on your one speaker. I hope it gives blow jobs at that price. Unless youre buying RE Audio XXX's you dont impress me. I used to work for a car audio shop that gave me over 60% off with warranties on everything I bought. Good luck with your $peaker$, my bad $peaker, I know that everyone cant get deals on everything they buy. I can. I finished this project months back dumbasses. learn to read. those were the only pictures i had. borrowed a camera from a neighbor so everyone will SHUT UP. My car needs paint and thats it. HID's will be here tomm. as well as the led lights to convert the interior lights and new headers and intake will be here soon. The hole next to the 2 speakers is there for the port. It is part of the box. It uses the back window like a hatch to make it LOUD. 148 DB loud. Thats what my car is for. DB's

I would flame you for being a complete a-hole with that response, but I guess you have a reason too be a little upset with our own responses. Post some pics, I'm interested to see the outcome.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Racer

like i just said, if youre so concerned with the "luxury" factor, then dont shit rig everything on your car. and if you really want to believe my setup is going to be shitty, here it goes

kicker components(already installed)
alpine cda 9883(already installed)
possibly optima yellow top
0 awg wire all around
rockford 1 farad cap
memphis mojo 12 (d2)
alpine pdx 1000 monoblock amp
custom ported box built to the subs specs
dynamat through the whole car(something im sure you dont have)

and instead of being a retard and putting two batteries in my trunk with bare wires everywhere, im getting an actual qaulity amp that only runs at 80 amps, so i wont have to re wind my alternator, something im sure you didnt do, and im going to re ground the whole car and run the power to alternator wire at 0 awg.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Racer

oh god i didnt even see that it was bandpass.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by 972.2
like i just said, if youre so concerned with the "luxury" factor, then dont shit rig everything on your car. and if you really want to believe my setup is going to be shitty, here it goes

kicker components(already installed)
alpine cda 9883(already installed)
possibly optima yellow top
0 awg wire all around
rockford 1 farad cap
memphis mojo 12 (d2)
alpine pdx 1000 monoblock amp
custom ported box built to the subs specs
dynamat through the whole car(something im sure you dont have)

and instead of being a retard and putting two batteries in my trunk with bare wires everywhere, im getting an actual qaulity amp that only runs at 80 amps, so i wont have to re wind my alternator, something im sure you didnt do, and im going to re ground the whole car and run the power to alternator wire at 0 awg.
Alright enough with the shit talking already, we're not comparing our systems to his. Like stated before, you posted pics of a half completed project, of course people are gonna note that things aren't finished. If you want to shut us up, post pics of the finished product. That is all
Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 PM
For Life

that looks like 2 layers of dynamat on that back deck. so maybe i already did the whole car. good luck with the headliner and seats. but youll probably pay someone to do it for you 0 gauge is OVERKILL for an ok amp rated at 1000 rms. And ive worked alot with mojo 12's and they are louder than cvr's but not by alot and they last half as long. You get good sound for a short time and then they start to fade out and blow. And if you doubt the ability of bandpass boxes i invite you to sit in my car. it makes you sound like a newb. My alternator was rebuilt at 130 amps. this is straight from crutchfield
Bandpass boxes: Maximum slam
Bandpass boxes are a special type of ported box designed for maximum slam. The woofer is mounted inside a dual-chambered box (one chamber sealed, the other ported), with the sound waves emerging from the ported side. The sound that comes out of the port is extra loud within a narrow frequency range.

Because bandpass boxes are super efficient within that range, they tend to boom. Their aggressive sound is great for rap, reggae, and hard rock. Not all subwoofers work well in bandpass boxes, though; consult our product information or call one of our Advisors to be sure.
If you didnt know bandpass boxes can easily be made to be louder than your simple ported boxes. but for amatuers you could probably never get it right.
heres a link if your curious how "bandpass" correctly known as Single Reflex Bandpass is superior in achieving higher spl's without trading much on sound quality. If you would like to broaden your horizons and learn something new check out this link. http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/boxes.htm
Old 06-30-2008, 10:06 PM
W WHIP.

Atleast you have it Dynamated? I'll give you credit for that. Is that pic a pic of it now that its finished? And damn, do you have 5% on the back window cause thats a lot of light coming through!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:37 PM
For Life

yes that is a picture of it finished. borrowed camera from neighbor who wasnt too happy about letting me use it. yea its 5% all around, its just hot florida sun beating down.

tell steve cook bandpass is a joke. but then again you wouldnt know who that is. i know car audio like the hair on my balls. been working car audio since 94 and i know what im doing. bandpass is complicated and requires lots of trial and error. but with a little luck and skill it can be learned. Your setup works for you and mine works for me. leave it at that. I chose the cl because it was 1 of a few vehicles with a trunk larger than 10cu. ft. exactly what i needed. alpine and kicker are ok. theyre cheap and get the job done same reason i chose kicker. caps are worthless just get a battery. i only joined this forum because i like cl's and i thought i might be able to help people out when they need advice on their system or engine. i have experience coming from pratical applications. i didnt read about it somewhere or hear about it from a friend. i do everything myself and enjoy working on my car. joining this forum and looking through it gave me some great ideas on future projects that i can use. maybe showing my car inspired someone else to put 8's in there backseat armrest. maybe it inspired someone to do something else even better. maybe we could all learn something from each other if we stop trying to piss in each others cornflakes. if you dont like it build a bridge and get over it. ill be on the other side slamming my system till my car falls apart.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:36 AM
Instructor

w/e works for you, have any sound clips from outside your car? im curious to the sound quality, still must be loud as shit
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM
For Life

yea dynamat made a big difference as do the equalizer. i went through 3 ports before i settled on that one. i had the back window resealed to prevent problems down the road. im thinking about changing the setup a little once i get my tools back.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 PM
I win

why do u want so much sound, damn!!! all u really need is ur regular componets and one good 12, thats all
Old 07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Haha.
to each their own I guess.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Blind_Shooter]
if somehow you can cover that wood and the other whole with like a trim piece that just go around the outsides of the holes it would look 100x better. it just looks sloppy as it is now. just my
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 PM
For Life

thats what we did. look at the other pic. im trying desperately to get a digital camera to take more pictures. im still in the process of more mods. but heres another pic of what we ended up doing.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

oh damn just thought this was a smaller version of the other picture. That doesnt looks to bad . The rectangular squarish one could get better.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished product. I've never owned a system in my life, not even an aftermarket head unit. So I know squat about that end of the aftermarket world. Props for doing it all yourself. The beer in the end always tastes better when you DIY.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
haha....wow thats some serious sound in that car. yes, the car is dirty. but i understand its still a work in progress. I bet the finished outcome will look and sound ridiculous.

i dig the visors and the speakers in the center armrest. my buddy has a protege with those visors.

as for the trunk, take that massive box out and do something cool with the trunk, you know like the shit they do on pimp my ride.

your DIY attitude is cool man, i think with some more work and cleaning that car will be awesome.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
that mmats amp is pretty baller

interesting placement of the kick panels...never seen placement like that except for vehicles using gigantic ribbon tweets

ice install could use a bit of cleanup man lol