New to the CL

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:41 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the CL

Hi everybody, I just bought a 97 CL 3.0! I've been reading a lot about what can be done to it. Intakes, Exhaust headers, Cats, and lowering springs. But before I start spending cash, what should I check for in the car? Is it prone to any transmission or engine issues? I noticed it smokes when accelerated hard. I can't tell what color it is, but it has a gunpowder smell to it. Also, I've been looking to replace the left rear quarter panel.. It's rusted out and has a hole already.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome! 3.0's are prone to transmission issues, but they're pretty pronounced in the drivetrain while driving, I'm sure the 3.0 guys can chime in on this. Do you know the vehicle history? I'd check suspension, normal maintenance items like plugs, filters, timing belt, etc before diving into modding the car. Sounds like yours could possibly use a seafoam treatment too.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
If it's smoking, start with changing the oil. Did the car sit for a long time before you bought it? Like Inf said, they are prone to tranny issues, but usually start to show slipping between 1st and second
Old 08-23-2013, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replys! And I took the car in yesterday for a full check up. The car has a clean title but it had definitely been sitting for awhile. The brakes were bled, trans flushed, and tires/suspension checked. Right now, I need to change the plugs (any good brands?) and possibly a new muffler as it has gotten pretty rusty. (No holes in it yet, though) After that, I was thinking of putting a trans cooler in it. I've been reading about all the problems the 3.0s have had haha